The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Missouri Fox Trotter - just wanted to share

Even before Pete began being an arse, I had considered bringing on another mount, one my DH could ride along with me. I had answered an ad on Craigslist regarding a MFT mare looking for a good home for a very reasonable price.

This mare is over the age of 10, perhaps 12 to 15, stands about 15.2 and is a beast of a girl. She was purchased from a KB with a conscience and has been lovingly cared for and ridden regularly now for a year or more.

These pictures aren't the best, but I think you can get a pretty good idea of her build.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...Trotter_II.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...FoxTrotter.jpg

I've visited with this mare and her owner once and am finally going to be able to ride her in the coming month. The owner has also offered me a 'go-see' for a month at my barn. I'm excited to say the least!!

We've been corresponding now for well over a month and a half and I can't believe this woman is being so patient with my schedule. She's located an hour and 45 minutes north of me in Thurmont and has been in horses all her life. One of the first things she said to me was she was in no hurry to find this girl a home.

I guess that says something about me, at least I hope it does. I really like both the woman and the mare, the mare's name is Harriett. She had a pasture buddy by the name of Ozzy. I guess I'm old, cause my DH didn't know the TV program Ozzy & Harriett.

Harriett greeted me first off, was not shy and was an 'in your pocket' type mare. But the minute her human turned her out, she kicked out and ran mad through the pasture. She was an absolute beautiful mover and the woman said she hates to be stalled. So, that's a good thing, since Harriett will be turned out 24/7.

I simply cannot wait...
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the
    Riders with Fibromyalgia & Adult Re-riders Clique

She's beautiful, and looks like a lovely mover! I hope she comes home with you! And how lucky she has an owner who's not just dumping her on the first yahoo she talks to!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

She has what looks to me like a really crest-y neck... if you get her, I would be careful what you feed, consider whether she's a bit heavy, all those things. I like how she looks moving though!
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    She has what looks to me like a really crest-y neck...
    Lori, would you explain the crest-y neck? I thought she had a big neck, even asked about it, but from the reading and picture surfing on the net and on several MFT sites, I see they all have this type of neck to some degree?

I would put her as a bit heavy or over weight, nothing a little constant work can't fix and I will not be graining her daily, she will get foriage and hay daily however.

~Kerri & Pete
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the

I just searched the web for a photo of a different horse w/ a 'cresty' neck.

SEE:
    http://www.hoofcareunltd.com/Picture36.jpg

Please note that I am NOT endorsing the site this photo is on, I am just borrowing it for reference.

The 'cresty' part is that upper sort of ridge of what looks to be fat above the muscle of the neck and right underneath the mane. As I understand it, the presence of such fat on a horse is an indication that it is overweight, and can indicate a risk for laminitis or metabolic problems.

Just be careful to find those things out about her w/ a thorough vetting before you acquire her. I think more work and less grain could be all she needs, really.

Yes, the mare looks lovely and maybe a little overweight. MFTs are typically easy keepers - but they can also be quite bulky.

I have found that 1 pound of a ration balancer (Purina Enrich 32), with a small amount of extra magnesium is working on my guy. He had to go on a starvation diet when I got him... he was about 300 pounds overweight.
    They definitely need their mineral mixes along with grass hay.

Flat back, barely any withers. yup. I got a Fabtron Endurance with the B tree to fit my guy. LOL...

If this is for your hubby, is your horse gaited too so that they go the same speed?

Quote Originally Posted by gabz View Post
    Yes, the mare looks lovely and maybe a little overweight. MFTs are typically easy keepers - but they can also be quite bulky.

I have found that 1 pound of a ration balancer (Purina Enrich 32), with a small amount of extra magnesium is working on my guy. He had to go on a starvation diet when I got him... he was about 300 pounds overweight.
    They definitely need their mineral mixes along with grass hay.

Flat back, barely any withers. yup. I got a Fabtron Endurance with the B tree to fit my guy. LOL...

If this is for your hubby, is your horse gaited too so that they go the same speed?
    Harriett started out being for my DH, but since Pete and I are not likely to be long in this relationship, Harriett has now moved to being my horse. DH has told me to find my perfect horse and we can work on him later.

Lori B., thank you soo much! I hadn't given it any thought, but after googling 'cresty neck' I found this site on a horse named Druid, http://www.ironfreehoof.com/Druid.htm, while Harriett is no where near the shape Druid was, the cresty neck has now become an concern in which I emailed the owner.

I'm sure Harriett's owner will consider what I've asked and have Harriett checked out. Fingers crossed she does not take some offense to this request and I loose out on Harriet.

Thanks again,

~Kerri & Pete
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the

For what its worth, my very own racking horse is shaped exactly the same as Harriet. My farrier has been freaking out about her cresty neck for the 2 1/2 years I've had her. She's an easy keeper and bone lazy. Her feet are gorgeous, she's (knock on wood) never taken a lame step since I've known her, and she's barefoot. So I keep an eye on it and try to ride her enough to keep her weight down and not give her more than a handful of pellets once a day. She's had all the grass she can eat since she got here. Maybe I should put a muzzle on her, but hey, she's been fine so far, and the neck aint getting any worse, and she isnt especially fat anywhere else--meaning, no spongy fat over her tailhead, no crease down the back, ribs can be felt etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jeano View Post
    For what its worth, my very own racking horse is shaped exactly the same as Harriet. My farrier has been freaking out about her cresty neck for the 2 1/2 years I've had her. She's an easy keeper and bone lazy. Her feet are gorgeous, she's (knock on wood) never taken a lame step since I've known her, and she's barefoot. So I keep an eye on it and try to ride her enough to keep her weight down and not give her more than a handful of pellets once a day. She's had all the grass she can eat since she got here. Maybe I should put a muzzle on her, but hey, she's been fine so far, and the neck aint getting any worse, and she isnt especially fat anywhere else--meaning, no spongy fat over her tailhead, no crease down the back, ribs can be felt etc etc.
    Jeano, THANK YOU! I have heard back from Harriett's owner and she said that has been considered and there is no problem. With consistant work, Harriett will be fine.

~Kerri & Pete
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the

Good luck on your purchase.

In some horses a real "cresty" neck is a sign of problems and in some it's just their conformation. It's something to check to ensure which one it is but if it's the latter then it's a "cosmetic" blemish not a "deal breaker."

G.

I'm not sure what you mean by having the owner check her out. ??

If you are considering the horse, why not have a vet do an exam? The vet can examine the feet and if necessary, do xrays to determine if there is any damage from laminitis. The vet can advise you as to diet to keep her weight within a good range.

If it were me, I would go test ride the horse and see if you like her gaits and attitude, training, etc. Then if everything clicks, go back with a vet for an exam. THEN negotiate price and sale if everything is good.

Quote Originally Posted by gabz View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by having the owner check her out. ??

If you are considering the horse, why not have a vet do an exam? The vet can examine the feet and if necessary, do xrays to determine if there is any damage from laminitis. The vet can advise you as to diet to keep her weight within a good range.

If it were me, I would go test ride the horse and see if you like her gaits and attitude, training, etc. Then if everything clicks, go back with a vet for an exam. THEN negotiate price and sale if everything is good.
    Oh, I do plan to test ride, hoping all works well for Oct 25th. And if it does, owner will transport for a 'go-see' to my current barn where I can have my Vet do the Pre-purchase eval and x-rays there. I know and trust my vet.

As for emailing the owner, I did it out of a courtsey to her and Harriett. I wanted to be sure she was aware of the potential danger and since she has been in Horses now for 30+ yrs, she assured me Harriett has been properly vetted where the cresty neck is concerned.

So, all is well and we are planning to move forward.

I have a world of book knowledge where horses are concerned. I used to think I had a world of first hand (or hit the ground running type) knowledge, but have in the past 3 months of owning Pete been a alarmist to some extent with all the reading HERE and in books and magazines I've been doing to catch myself back up.

So.. back to the books.
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the

Quote Originally Posted by VAHorseGurl View Post
    Lori, would you explain the crest-y neck? I thought she had a big neck, even asked about it, but from the reading and picture surfing on the net and on several MFT sites, I see they all have this type of neck to some degree?

Some of them do have a more Morgan-type neck.

This is my MFT mare, fitted up and at a good weight-
    http://inlinethumb07.webshots.com/40...600x600Q85.jpg

That neck is just part of the package. I think it tends to look worse to the people used to more TB and QH type horses.

I know I'm only seeing a picture. I just thought it was a question that the OP would be well-advised to ask when she has her vet look at the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyNSH View Post
    Some of them do have a more Morgan-type neck.

This is my MFT mare, fitted up and at a good weight-
    http://inlinethumb07.webshots.com/40...600x600Q85.jpg

That neck is just part of the package. I think it tends to look worse to the people used to more TB and QH type horses.

I wish I could see your mare, but I cannot access that page/link due to some pretty dumb new company internet policies...
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the

Thumbs down just my 2 cents!

Be very, very careful. Your seller is most likely a professional horse dealer and may be taking you for a ride. That horse may be much, much older; assume over 15.. Thurmont has a low level auction sale house there and LOTS of folks in that area buy cheap horses and turn them around. There are no killer buyers with consciences only those looking for a profit. I guarantee you your seller hasn't been riding/caring for her for a year etc.

You do NOT need to buy a horse off the internet OR from an auction. There are PLENTY of cheap horses in our area that are young. Why spend anything on a horse so far away.?? You would do better buying locally as reputation is everything. Craigslist is known to have some shady deals on it too. It costs the same to board an old horse or a young one, a good one or a bad one. Please forget this. And that breed is not good for english riding and most of all hunting if that's what you want to do. And proof of breeding & age is important. Be skeptical, be careful. I wouldn't buy a horse from ANYONE in Thurmont unless I knew exactly what I was doing. This smells all wrong to me. I've shopped that sale so I know.

And if your horse is "being an arse"? Looking for another one before you've dealt with the problem? Bad idea! What's he doing? Can it be fixed? You're a green owner who is vulnerable to being taken. And vulnerable to a smart QH having his way with you! There are no perfect horses. ALL have something "less than perfect". !!!

Best wishes. But I'd run from this......

Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen View Post
    Be very, very careful. Your seller is most likely a professional horse dealer and may be taking you for a ride. That horse may be much, much older; assume over 15.. Thurmont has a low level auction sale house there and LOTS of folks in that area buy cheap horses and turn them around. There are no killer buyers with consciences only those looking for a profit. I guarantee you your seller hasn't been riding/caring for her for a year etc.

You do NOT need to buy a horse off the internet OR from an auction. There are PLENTY of cheap horses in our area that are young. Why spend anything on a horse so far away.?? You would do better buying locally as reputation is everything. Craigslist is known to have some shady deals on it too. It costs the same to board an old horse or a young one, a good one or a bad one. Please forget this. And that breed is not good for english riding and most of all hunting if that's what you want to do. And proof of breeding & age is important. Be skeptical, be careful. I wouldn't buy a horse from ANYONE in Thurmont unless I knew exactly what I was doing. This smells all wrong to me. I've shopped that sale so I know.

And if your horse is "being an arse"? Looking for another one before you've dealt with the problem? Bad idea! What's he doing? Can it be fixed? You're a green owner who is vulnerable to being taken. And vulnerable to a smart QH having his way with you! There are no perfect horses. ALL have something "less than perfect". !!!

Best wishes. But I'd run from this......
    WG, yes, Harriett came from this auction in the area. The owner did tell me that first off.

As for being a dealer, she is not, not at least that I can tell and I am generally a pretty good judge of character. However, her family does run TBs and she manages the family's farm there in Thurmont and had just reclaimed 3 young OTTBs from her uncle.

She is a Realtor by trade and has 2 rescued Warmbloods, one without an eye she introduced me too. I spent a good bit of the day with this owner and Hariett. She does have papers on this mare, they came with her at the sale.

I understand your apprehension, I really do and I will be the first to admit I am green, but I generally don't get taken by folks. I've been in the customer service/government business for 24yrs now, I know a game when I see one. What while I did get caught up in Pete, I know now that I have to use my head, not my heart.

I have not researched this woman or her family, but I don't see why I couldn't do that, I'm sure she'd offer me references if I asked, I've already done the same for her. But I feel the 'go-see' is a viable option here and that way my vet can indeed check this gal out for me.

As for wanting to ride English and/or Hunt, yes, I want to learn to Hunt, and I do realize MFTs aren't the best for this type of activity; but Harriett, if she works out, will allow me to hack out alone or trail ride alone and be as safe as one can be riding a horse alone.

As for Pete being an arse, yes, he is, but that is something I will either work on with him, should I regain my confidence, or sell him if it becomes a problem. I used to love a challenge like Pete, but I am not 17 anymore either. I want to enjoy my time in the saddle and if Pete is not that horse to help me accomplish that, then Pete and I are not right for each other.

I could never learn to Hunt right now, I have a total lack of confidence in myself, and with that, I could never learn to ride side saddle. So, I do have some things to work on, both for me and for Pete or with Harriett. Either way, I want to enjoy my time, not struggle to stay in the saddle.

I would still love to accompany you on a hunt where you follow by vehicle. I do so want to learn all about it.

~Kerri & Pete
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the

VAHorseGurl, do you have any kind of trainer or horse professional to take with you when you go see this horse? This board is chock full of nice and intelligent people who are competent to do everything in the world except for not get ripped off by dishonest equine businesses and individuals. The array of crazy and crooked in horse world is mind blowing. We aren't saying you're dumb, we are saying, it is OH SO EASY to get fooled, and the commitment of acquiring a horse is so expensive and time consuming, it's just worth the time and effort and inconvenience to do whatever you can to have as much impartial information as possible when it's decision time.

The benefit of taking a trainer with you is that it could dissuade the seller from any temptation to take advantage of how green to horses you are, and it is someone who isn't falling for the horse, so they will be able to ask hard questions more easily. Please consider taking someone with more experience with you. We want you to have a happy horse acquiring experience, that's all.

LuvMyNSH - LOVELY MFT... and chunky like mine! LOL...

I have a friend that breeds Morgans and the head and neck of MFTs remind me of many of her Morgans.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    VAHorseGurl, do you have any kind of trainer or horse professional to take with you when you go see this horse? This board is chock full of nice and intelligent people who are competent to do everything in the world except for not get ripped off by dishonest equine businesses and individuals. The array of crazy and crooked in horse world is mind blowing. We aren't saying you're dumb, we are saying, it is OH SO EASY to get fooled, and the commitment of acquiring a horse is so expensive and time consuming, it's just worth the time and effort and inconvenience to do whatever you can to have as much impartial information as possible when it's decision time.

The benefit of taking a trainer with you is that it could dissuade the seller from any temptation to take advantage of how green to horses you are, and it is someone who isn't falling for the horse, so they will be able to ask hard questions more easily. Please consider taking someone with more experience with you. We want you to have a happy horse acquiring experience, that's all.
    LoriB, I never assumed any of you thought I was dumb. I would be silly if I didn't understand what you were trying to teach me. I would love to have someone objective go with me, but I do not have that available to me.

My current BO/Trainer has a full schedule straight up to the end of November and wouldn't likely travel anyway. I have a girlfriend who's shown western pleasure since early childhood, but I am not familiar with her experience in training. (she has 2 5yr old geldings who are unbroke )

While yes, I am admittedly falling fast and hard for Harriett, I will do everything I can to protect myself this time and ensure Harriett is the right horse for me. The 'go-see' arrangement is payment in the form of a check to be held till after the 30 day trial has been completed and I decide to keep Harriett. Owner will transport down and if I don't keep Harriett, will come and get her, all of this minus the transportation fees. In this time, I will have my vet out to do a pre-purchase exam and will be working with my BO and Harriett with lessons.

This is not set in stone, I have not even ridden Harriett yet, that won't happen till either this Sunday or next Saturday. And if there is any doubt in my mind that Harriett and I are not right for each other or I feel my confidence is still an issue, I will stop looking for a horse and finish my lessons with my BO and start taking English lessons some place else.

I promise, I will not make a rash decission without having all my ducks in a row, I learned a hard lesson with Pete. And while I love Pete dearly and am likely to keep him as a pasture puff/arena riding dolt, I really really want to strike out on my own and enjoy the adventure that is horseback riding.
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the