The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who else is still spending in this recession?

We are in a very fortunate position to have recession-proof jobs (genetic diseases still need cures and patients still need to be seen) and a family business that while it may slow down when the economy is bad, it's services are still required regardless. However, because of the downward trend of the markets at the moment, we've chosen to buy a few high end horses (for great prices) instead of reinvesting dividence. One is a fairly long-term project (a year, more or less) and the other is a bit more short term, or a lease prospect. Both are highly saleable, but neither need to move anytime soon. This puts us at 4 show horses (all who will be on the AA circuit next season and two that are doing Florida), and 2 pleasure horses. We thankfully haven't felt any of the recession affects at our stables (board hasn't gone up more than $50 in the last year and we're lucky enough to have great hay fields at two of our farms and have a barn owner that's married to her hay man at the third), but who knows what's going to happen in the next few months. So I want to know if we're the only (potentially idiotic) people out there who are still buying in this market, or are there others that are with us?
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

We bought 5 ponies in Wales recently and I sold two horses during the last 10 days. Hope things will stay like this. I believe in the saying nothing is eaten as hot as it is cooked. The past Verband's auctions (Oldenburg and Westfalian) here have been encourageing, it seems there are less people affected with this banking drama than we all think they are. My guess is those who lose by it will probably lose big time but how many people really have that much money sitting in stocks? I would also think that any jobs that are service-related or concerning everyday supplies (crafts, agriculture, production) bear some stability in themselves and should not be affected to a dramatic degree.
    Sure enough there still seem to be enough people who are financially independent and spending big time (see last auction results...). I am hoping that the 'normal' market will remain stable too.

yup

I'm 38, work full time, shop as little as I ever did...going to a horse competition in two weeks, planning a horse camping trip with a pal from out of state...I'm traveling for work this week so I went out to eat Monday night at Macaroni Grill and had to wait to be seated. Did I mention it was Monday night? And MG ain't Ruths Chris, but it's not McDonald's either. Same last night...Texas Roadhouse...pretty full for a Tuesday.

I know people are slowing down their spending...but I don't see them hiding at home by candlelight, either.

PS the new tack shop I visited had 3 customers in it at and more pulling in when I left. Granted they may be in debt to their eyeballs, but they are spending $$< yes.

I work for the federal government on very public project. I am not spending only because we are working on paying off credit card debt. I want to have credit cards paid off, and than I can start on the HELOC.

I have a fairly secure job (I hope!) and very low living expenses. My only addictions are antiques (from auctions, yard sales, etc.), feeding the indoor critters, and my horses. When the Pimlico track closed and horses needed homes, I did a detailed look at my finances and decided that I could take in (board) one more horse. (Did I mention that all my cats, dogs and other horses were homeless when I got them, too? )

Kim at Leighton Farm matched me up with my dream horse two weeks ago. Thank you, Kim!

Here she is, Cat on the Moon, a day or two before I picked her up at the track:

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p...heMoonBody.jpg

And the day after she arrived in PA (NOTE–She raced the day before):

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p...cat3lowres.jpg
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    I know people are slowing down their spending...but I don't see them hiding at home by candlelight, either.

PS the new tack shop I visited had 3 customers in it at and more pulling in when I left. Granted they may be in debt to their eyeballs, but they are spending $$< yes.
    I own two retail shops. I really think gas prices directly affect our business much more than the overall economy. Our slowest weeks this year were when gas prices peaked; right now we're trucking along through a pretty normal early fall sales pattern.

And every thief in the horse world is busily studying this thread, figuring out who you are & planning to visit you. I cannot believe the personal stuff people will put on the internet.

I've always been poor, so nothing much is different. Frugality is the name of the game!

That being said, I've managed to buy a (used) car, a (used) saddle, and a (used) trailer in the last couple of weeks. More money than I've ever spent! All great deals!

I haven't seen any recession yet. All the current turmoil is supposed to hit us in the spring.

I just bought a house. Does that count?

Mmmmmmm....I couldn't resist, and bought TWO sets of Courbette reins on TOTD a couple of weeks ago....fiddling while Rome burns? I really needed them and they were a good price....damn you TOTD!

Just bought a house too. Brought a pony down from NY and picked up the dreamiest TB that I have been lucky enough to own. Planning on getting a new truck and trailer in the spring. My hubby works at a waste water treatment plant and THAT is a pretty stable job. No one wants that to pile up.
    Proud Mama of a BOY rider

Quote Originally Posted by Evalee Hunter View Post
    And every thief in the horse world is busily studying this thread, figuring out who you are & planning to visit you. I cannot believe the personal stuff people will put on the internet.
    Huh? What information exactly would that be? People are mentioning what kinds of jobs they have and if they've bought horses lately. What information are the thieves going to be hanging on to? And they are going to visit people to what? Break in and steal their show clothes?

Hubby and I have pretty secure jobs in the medical industry and I am planning on buying a new show horse soon. We don't have kids and are young so we live pretty cheaply other than the horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I just bought a new trailer and got a great deal. I am also still going to the shows I have planned. My horses will NOT go without their supplements ever! I can't beleive the amount of people that are cutting back on those, I would cut back on my eating first. My boyfriend and I are still going out to eat once in a while. I just bought a new show sheet and winter liner for one of my boys. I only buy what I need, I shop for deals, and we are paying off bills each month, I have always done that. We have good jobs, yes we could lose them, but I am not going to worry about it much. We have enough in savings to hold us if we need to find another job. I am sure eveything will bounce back eventually - heck gas is even going down - YAH!

Wink

Ummm... I'm a horse owner, so of course I'm spending!

Really, not changed a bit... then again, I hate shopping, and my Dad and I have always driven my Mom (and now at time, my husband) crazy with our thriftyness, even when not needed!
    Standardbred Lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing and endurance
    Strider-OTSTB-, Gus-OTTB-, and Rio-rescued QH!
    Founder of the High Maintenance Horses Clique

I am!

I have a friend at an auction today bidding on a show cart for me to get my mare back in the ring next year. Please oh please let him get one of the three that would fit my bill!

Evalee if they choose to hit me, they'll meet Mr Katarine with one of many weapons.

Are YOU hiding at home under a blanket ???LOL

Same goes for a stable job-law enforcement. Plenty of drunks, theifs, and fools to keep my job secure. Had to buy 2 new saddles. Great price on one, and the other if it fits, well....$$$$. Anyway, trying to be careful w/ meaningless purchases. Do I really need this or that. Trying to put "really need" over "just gotta have it!"

I'm still spending. Maresy is in training and she's not going to be all that good for me until trainer is done w/her. She needs a chiropractic adjustment, and I am looking for a (used) dressage saddle and (used) simple horse trailer. We will probably be showing next year, and I can't always rely on my main horsey friend for trailering (and the maresy hates her trailer anyway.)

Same here, hubby and I are both cops with lots of job security and union protections. We are very grateful to have it too.
    Nothing has changed (much) for us, but we not spending because we are paying off some debt. We had already cut back on not necessary stuff (except for my foxhunting, lessons etc) prior to all this economic stuff going on because we want to retire early.We do the "need vs want" evaluation too before buying stuff. Except for my big LQ that i got for my birthday in June, but we have used it quite a bit. Even took it camping at Disney in August for a week.

I wish someone would track us down off the internet. Hubby and I are both armed to the teeth, we even have an AR 15. They can bring it. That's every cop's wet dream. If they can get past the 12 dogs in the yard it's on.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin