The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Do not open that file, just in case.

I dunno, any buyer that opened with the fact it is too expensive is not worth that much of your time. I bet it's some sob story...and also bet we aren't talking coming in 10% under either. More like half at best.

She may be legit and have good intentions but I still, as a seller, see no reason for you to get their backstory-let them come look and make an offer without all the drama.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

lol.

I never plan on making sales when I sell horses. It's never worth getting your hopes up!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

It does sound strange, or maybe just a strange person wrote it that meant well? Just research the info she gave you to make sure EVERYTHING is legit. Besides a few misspellings, the word "intentions" seems to be used alot by scammers, I lost 5K for a horse trailer down payment on Equine.com so I know how they operate now. Just make sure you have good money in hand before releasing any goods.

I think I would call the telephone company information operator to ensure that the number they've provided is a legitimate working number that has not been associated with fees being paid for using it
    Can you tell me how I can get a phone number that is NOT "associated with fees being paid for using it "????
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Janet, I think she was meaning more along the lines of dialing a 900# vs having to pay a phone bill every month. That the caller may be charged to dial it??

Really strange e-mail. The attachment think would have probably caused me to delete it without further thought, but then the world is full of different peeps so she might be legit, I'm just not very trusting

a friend of mine had a horse listed For Sale on Dreamhorse and got some simular responses. She foolishly contacted them and as it appeared, they were "bottomfeeders".

I'd blow them off if it were me and I AM IN SALES FOR A LIVING..

Well my return email was short and to the point with no jibber jabber.

Never heard back.

SCAM!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    Well my return email was short and to the point with no jibber jabber.

Never heard back.

SCAM!
    What? Are you kidding? It's been a day; not everyone checks their email constantly. Heck, I do check my email constantly and sometimes it can take me more than 24 hours to respond.

Besides, how does a non-response = scam? Read the threads on tire-kicking buyers -- one of the most common complaints I see from sellers is that they send out information and the buyers don't respond. That's tire kicking, not scamming.

I don't think it's a scam. I think it's some aggravating person that is going to waste your time and give you some sob story and then offer a ridiculously low price and a bunch of annoying conditions. I'd say more of a tirekicker type than a scammer. Whether you want to spend time on it is up to you.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Please keep us posted!!! I am on email all the time, but then I work at a computer for a living. Perhaps this woman has a job where she is not at a desk/computer, and can't email too frequently? In any case, I thought her email was well-written and, as I tend to be a bit verbose myself, I am sympathetic to her wanting to talk further. If you call her, that would protect you from downloading any viruses, etc., onto your computer. If you are concerned, you can even block the number you are dialing from BEFORE you call her, so that she doesn't have your phone number....?

I just recently bought a horse....just wanted to give you my (individual) perspective on telling someone that a horse is more than I can afford. What I meant by that was generally only a few thousand dollars off on a five-figure animal. I also meant that I could possibly be persuaded if I met the horse and just LOVED LOVED LOVED him or her!

You never know. And the written medium is tough, it's hard to convey tone and nuance properly...

Good luck!! I hope that it was not a scam and that you hear something back that is legitimate, even if ultimately this person does not wind up to be the right buyer....