The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Unhappy Neglected Horse/s *lots of pics*

Today I found these two horses... I had to take photos and will be contacting the RSPCA tomorrow. Both mares, The dark bay is a very aged mare, She was very very sweet and I looked in her mouth and she has no top teeth at all. The chestnut pony mare is morbidly obese. I didn't pay too much attention to her so I don't have even a guess of her age. But she was a sweetie. Kind of ironic that one is so horribly emaciated and the other is so fat.

There is no excuse to let a horse get into this kind of condition.
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10...g/IMG_4094.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10...g/IMG_4100.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10...g/IMG_4101.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10...g/IMG_4102.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10...g/IMG_4103.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10...g/IMG_4097.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10...g/IMG_4117.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10...g/IMG_4116.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10...g/IMG_4115.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10...g/IMG_4104.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10...g/IMG_4108.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10...g/IMG_4109.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10...g/IMG_4110.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10...g/IMG_4112.jpg

I WILL do something for these two. There are other horses in the next paddocks and they are in good weight and look good. It's a good paddock with plenty of grass but that's just not good enough for this old girl.
    Last edited by spaghetti legs; Oct. 8, 2008 at 08:21 AM.

If the other horses in other pastures look ok, then I'd MYOB, sorta. I'd contact the owners FIRST before opening the pandora's box of the SPCA. You don't know, that horse may be getting mashes or other sources of food/meds.

There is an elderly horse just like this at my stable. He gets more than adequate care, just can't keep weight on. The owners (not BO) think "putting a horse out to pasture" is a kind retirement, allowing him to live out his days peacefully among other horses. I have seen this horse suffer, he can barely walk from artheritis in his legs from YEARS of hard show jumping. He can't keep weight on because he has ulcers from years of bute for his leg pain.

My opinion is it would be kinder to end their pain by allowing them to really rest in peace, ie euthenasia. But for every pet owner, there is a different opinion. Voice your concerns and maybe they'll realize the cruelty of it. Maybe not.

DON'T mind your own business. You're doing the right thing taking the pictures and reporting this to the authorities. There may be a very good explanation for why the horse looks like this but there may not be a good reason too. The horse cannot speak for herself and needs someone like you to do it for her. If she has no top teeth then she needs a special diet so that she can eat!!! Why are people so dumb today...Gees!!

Thanks for caring.... Let us know how you make out.

I agree with the post above. Also was wondering, from the look of hte pictures it seems like you were right in the pasture with them. I would be some pissed if I looked out and saw ppl in my pasture taking pictures. That is not an okay thing to do regardless of how abused you see them as being.

The emaciated mare is very aged and has no top teeth at all.. her feet were a horrible mess. She willingly lifted one up for me and the bars were horribly overgrown.

When I stroked her, clumps of hair came off in my hand.
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10...g/IMG_4114.jpg

Yeah I went in the paddock.

Just do what you think is best for the horse. Your gut will rarely steer you in the wrong direction.

I have to agree with WaningMoon.. trespassing is illegal in most states.. you should watch your own butt too.. especially if you're going to start trouble for these people.

I would think it best to contact the owner first in a polite manner simply expressing your concern over the horse. If the others are all healthy chances are something else may be going on that you have no clue about from the outside. If not, then contact the authorities. If all the horses looked like that it would be different. Most people don't just starve one horse out of a herd.

I'm in australia.

I'm sure as heck going to start trouble for them. I first noticed this horse 6 months ago.

These are the only two horses in the paddock. There are other paddocks but they might not belong to the same land owner. My point was, there is plenty of feed.. they are good paddocks but this mare needs much more than grass which obviously she can't eat. The I've only ever seen these two in this paddock even 6 months ago.

I would not go to the owners as that will likely just cause a bad scene to happen and could be dangerous for you. You never know what is going to set someone off.

I agree that going into their paddocks was a no, no but in the heat of the moment we all tend to do things that we normally would not do.

The horse needs attention and may be getting it but maybe they just are not paying attention to her weight loss at all and if that is the case then she'll die from their neglect. Just in case they can't see that the horse is a rack of bones themselves I'd definately have the proper authorities check on this horse and point it out to them.

It's just the right thing to do!!

Quote Originally Posted by WaningMoon View Post
    I agree with the post above. Also was wondering, from the look of hte pictures it seems like you were right in the pasture with them. I would be some pissed if I looked out and saw ppl in my pasture taking pictures. That is not an okay thing to do regardless of how abused you see them as being.
    What? Are you serious? So if there was a horse who was on the ground bleeding dying from some sort of abuse you would still be saying you shouldn't have crossed the fence? Finally someone does something right and people are saying it was wrong? Give me a break!

Thanks... I am confused about why people say I was doing the wrong thing. Hello.. emaciated animal and horribly obese animal.. they need help. If it turns out that they are given the absolute best of care EVAH then no harm done.. I will still sleep better at night than having not done anything.

I absolutely do not plan on approaching the people myself. I will be going to the RSPCA tomorrow and going from there.

This is exactly what our 28 year old horse looked like because of a boarding facility. I had a baby in Feb. and we didn't go out to see the horse for 3 months and when we did OMG he looked just like this. NEedless to say we got him out that day and call the law on his a**!!
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Sorry get a grip. We have a 42yr old mare that looks similar. She no longer sheds out correctly. She gets around well. We avoid doing her feet as she is arthric and it is uncomfortable for her to hold them up. She gets senior feed but still looks awful but I'm not going to have her put down just because you are offended looking at her.
    What are you suggesting they do with their elderly mare? If everyone else in the feild looks is good condition what is your suggestion. Is she is obvious distress walking around? What if she is someones childhood pony that they are holding onto until she becomes uncomfortable? I had a 22yr old hound dog that passed away last year that I had complaints about. I kept a vet file and a copy of his registration papers to shut people up. Animal control started laughing at people who called about him. But I wasn't going to put him down just because it would make someone else happy. He greated me every morning wagging his tail in the barn.
    I've rescued numerous horses from horrid conditions and I just don't think this is a rescue situation. But it you badger the owners enough you may just shorten her life. I know it would have reduced my burden.
    I bet several of you have obese dogs but I guess that is different.

I would go to the facility/owner, and NICELY ask about these animals, esp. the emaciated mare. Looks to me like she cannot eat, due to not having any top teeth...kinda hard to tear off the grass,don't cha think? If this horse is getting soaked mashes, or other feeds, I think she'd look waaay better than that. It looks like she is definitely fending for herself, and needs major dental care, worming, hoof care, and grooming (rainrot??), just for starters. My MIL fed her 30 YO gelding for 2 years all kinds of mashes and chopped hay, and they will maintain a decent body condition on it-not look like they're starving!! You just need to feed EVERY DAY, twice a day... Yes, the pony is obese, she can eat that forage! Maybe the owner needs an education on what founder/laminitis is....but,I would leave that to the authorities to explain. I would make a non-confrontational inquiry, see what the result was, then follow up with a call to the authorities. That poor old girl needs to be put down if her owner will not care for her properly. Myself, no way would I MYOB, there is no excuse for animals to look like that.

Quote Originally Posted by smilton View Post
    Sorry get a grip.
    I've rescued numerous horses from horrid conditions and I just don't think this is a rescue situation.
    You don't think this is a rescue situation ?

I'm sorry but YOU need to get a grip.

This horse hasn't seen a brush in god knows how long. Not to mention the burrs matted in her eyelashes, ears, mane and tail.. Real well looked after.

If this ISN'T a rescue situation, then all well and good. As I have said before, I will still sleep better at night knowing that I did something out of CARING enough to give a damn.

As for obese dogs.. I am not talking about dogs here.. given this is a horse forum.. but I am just as concerned about the obese pony.

Quote Originally Posted by spaghetti legs View Post
    Thanks... I am confused about why people say I was doing the wrong thing. Hello.. emaciated animal and horribly obese animal.. they need help. If it turns out that they are given the absolute best of care EVAH then no harm done.. I will still sleep better at night than having not done anything.

I absolutely do not plan on approaching the people myself. I will be going to the RSPCA tomorrow and going from there.
    I'm sorry, but I do agree that by crossing the fence, you put yourself in the position to be sued. Especially if you were here in the US and the owner could prove they were doing ALL they could for this mare.

I have a gf with a hard keeping mare who looses weight in the winter. She had to file a restraining order on a neighbor who kept harassing her and phoning the SPCA here.

My gf proved countless times she was working with a vet and had records of feeding schedules and hay delivery and blanket cleaning bills, etc. This neighbor just kept hounding her for no reason other than she drove by my gf's home daily.

With the restraining order, this neighbor had to find another way to work.

By crossing the fence and publically posting that you intend to cause a problem for this owner, you are lining your self up for trouble. I would keep those pictures in a safe place, and then go speak to the land/horse owner before opening a can of worms.

Give them the chance to tell you they aren't doing anything for this mare, and if you listen carefully, you'll hear it. Or, they'll offer to give you their vets name and number and you can verify they are doing all they can for this mare.

Now, on the bleeding down animal, ENTIRELY a different story! BUT, before I entered the pasture of such an animal, I'd phone the Police and the SPCA and then I'd enter the pasture! BUT NOT Before I protected myself!!!
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the
    Riders with Fibromyalgia & Adult Re-riders Clique

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by smilton View Post
    Sorry get a grip. We have a 42yr old mare that looks similar. She no longer sheds out correctly. She gets around well. We avoid doing her feet as she is arthric and it is uncomfortable for her to hold them up. She gets senior feed but still looks awful but I'm not going to have her put down just because you are offended looking at her.
    What are you suggesting they do with their elderly mare? If everyone else in the feild looks is good condition what is your suggestion. Is she is obvious distress walking around? What if she is someones childhood pony that they are holding onto until she becomes uncomfortable? I had a 22yr old hound dog that passed away last year that I had complaints about. I kept a vet file and a copy of his registration papers to shut people up. Animal control started laughing at people who called about him. But I wasn't going to put him down just because it would make someone else happy. He greated me every morning wagging his tail in the barn.
    I've rescued numerous horses from horrid conditions and I just don't think this is a rescue situation. But it you badger the owners enough you may just shorten her life. I know it would have reduced my burden.

No one said that the horse should be put down...just that for the sake of the horse someone needs to make sure that the horse is in that condition because of age and not neglect.

I can't stand it when people choose to just close their eyes to a situation because they've seen a horse look like this before and it was ok. Great!! I hope the horse is ok and being cared for...but how shitty would you feel to find out that you DIDN'T do anything and the horse died as a result? I suppose you'd just close your eyes again and go on with your life, right?

If I were the owner and was doing EVERYTHING possible to make sure that this horse was getting what she needs then I would not take offence to the RSPCA coming to my home to see the horse. We'll see if that happens.

Thumbs up to you Spaghetti Legs for caring about this animal.

It seems to me that with the conditions of both these horses being what they are, I would venture to guess that they are being fed. . . the obese horse is getting all the feed since the other cannot eat it. . . perhaps the owners are not aware of her lack of teeth and inability to process grain, and they themselves cannot figure out why the older mare cannot keep weight. Having a 27year old OTTB who recently dropped a ton of weight because he could not eat ( he has no back teeth to speak of) I know how quickly this can happen. The owners are perhaps ignorant as well of the fact that the older mare probably cannot graze efficiently without teeth.

Have you ever tried speaking to the owners of these horses? Of course something must be done.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Here in Aus the law works a little differently to sue-happy US
    As for "intending to cause trouble" that was in response to someone who suggested "I shouldn't cause trouble" It wasn't literal on my behalf.

As I have mentioned before, I will not be approaching the owners myself. I will contact the RSPCA first thing in the morning and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by spaghetti legs View Post
    Here in Aus the law works a little differently to sue-happy US
    As for "intending to cause trouble" that was in response to someone who suggested "I shouldn't cause trouble" It wasn't literal on my behalf.

As I have mentioned before, I will not be approaching the owners myself. I will contact the RSPCA first thing in the morning and go from there.
    I understand that in AUS they don't tend to take kindly to people neglecting their horses either. I'm sure that this will come out too the good for the horse in the end, as it should be.