The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ocala Mixed Sale going on now--I went to it

I went up to Ocala for the Hanoverian inspection and found out that the Ocala mixed sale was going on. I stopped by yesterday and the sale was over for the day. Someone said 120 horses were pulled. I went back this afternoon as I had my eye on a mare that was going through today. I couldn't believe how cheap some of the horses were going for. There were at least 1/2 dozen mares in foal that didn't even get a $1,000 bid. Others left the arena without any bids. Some mares in foal were going for less than $5000.

Is this normal for a sale like this, or is it the economy? I left before "my" mare went through. I couldn't be tempted. I don't have a place to keep her and I know nothing about thoroughbred race horses. I just took an instant liking to her for some reason. #627 Crazy Canard by Woodman; 13 years old; in foal to Bellamy Road.

I just found out that they are broadcasting the sale on the internet, so I guess I will watch to see what, if anything, she goes for.---oops she went through a few horses ago, so now I will have to wait for the price to be posted.--> $8,000.
    Last edited by Joanne; Oct. 7, 2008 at 05:03 PM.

Decent broodmares are being given away. I have an owner who bought 2 and got 2 for free...hope the killer buyers aren't lurking down there.

To answer your question, this has been brewing for several years and the economy has only compounded the problem. At some point, the lower and mid-level stud fees are going to have to be reduced significantly for anyone to turn a profit. The expensive studs will always be that because money will never be an issue for people breeding to them.

The Thoroughbred industry is undergoing a correction that is being magnified by the state of the national economy. For the past 5-6 years the breeding and sales side of the industry have been growing, but unfortunately that expansion wasn't mirrored by racing and purses. So what we have now is too much product and not enough end-users, too many people who want to breed and sell and not enough to buy and race.

There's been a downturn in the TB marketplace all year long and this day of this OBS sale--an "open" day not a "select" day--caters to the middle to lower end of the spectrum where many many mares have suddenly become expendable.

There was one mare I was so sad to see in the catalog just because of her age. It turns out that she was not sent through. I don't know if she just wasn't there or what the story was. I am sure it would have been heartbreaking to see her: #474 Southbound Odyssey FOALED IN 1984!!!! Bless her heart, she was listed as being in foal to Formal Dinner.

very sad sale. i could not make myself go. i will pick up a colt or gelding or two to retrain and sell, but the market is so soft, i can't take the chance.i had my eye on several though. bought one in 06 from this sale, turned him into a really nice hunter, sold him in april for pretty good money.very sad, i too hope the meat men are not hanging around
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Joanne - I was at the Ocala Mix Sale last year - work-related and for the entire sale.

It was awful then as well.

And yes, I understand during and after last year's sale - enterprising folks filled trailers with giveaway horses and headed for 'parts unknown'.

That was before gas closed in on $4/gallon and the financial and credit markets melted down. :-(

Oh my goodness Joanne! You could've brought that mare back to New Hampshire for me!! Between her breeding and the sire's breeding... that should be one heck of a foal!

I couldn't survive a sale like that... I'd need to win Powerball before I went, as I know I would drive myself into debt!!!
    -Jessica

AppJumpr08: Well, I know zero about thoroughbreds. I was walking down the barns, looking at older mares. I recognized some names in her background, took a look at her in her stall, and had a "discussion" with her. I just liked her manners and the way she looked. I didn't even ask to see her out of the stall; I knew I'd be a gonner and have to buy her. This is NOT the proper way to buy a horse!! Wandered around and found out it would cost $20 a day for board. I REALLY wish I had gotten her, but at $8000, there were several interested in her. So maybe my gut feeling wasn't so bad after all? I could have brought her back to you!!!

Nope, I'd say your gut feeling was pretty darn good! Besides her awesome pedigree, her unborn foal's sire's dam is by Deputed Testamony, who is Reputed Testamony's sire... Quite a nice package! I'm glad to hear that she wasn't one of the ones who went through with no bids - for that price I'm sure she'll be well cared for
    Out of curiosity, where in New Hampshire are you?
    -Jessica

Enfield, NH. I don't have a farm and am currently horseless.

Well if you ever feel the need for some horse time, I'm not all that far from you (under 2 hours anyway).

I really do need to hit the lottery so I can go to that sale someday...
    -Jessica

appjumpr- there is another one just like the one that ended today in jan. of 2009. the 6th thru the 9th. maybe we will see you there?
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Quote Originally Posted by maxxtrot View Post
    appjumpr- there is another one just like the one that ended today in jan. of 2009. the 6th thru the 9th. maybe we will see you there?
    Oh you are EVIL!!! I think my boyfriend would leave me for good.
    But, you never know... maybe I'll come down for a looksee anyway
    -Jessica

I wish I had known. I would have bought her for that. I know the folks that bred Bellamy Road (I met him when he was a baby) and I also have a mare by Reputed Testamony. Bellamy's breeders also have a coming yearling by Bellamy Road that is very very nice, but I believe he is going to the track.
    FWIW, Bellamy Road's stud fee right now is $10,000
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

So many horses were there, it was luck that I stumbled upon this mare at the end of the aisle. I didn't even have a catalog.

Just for future reference, can people recommend HONEST AND CARING places to keep a broodmare in the Ocala region?

The two our owner bought arrived in PA yesterday. They are really nice looking mares. That sale was a good opportunity for someone to get into the breeding business.

Jager, you'll have to go and check out the January sale to see if there's another one like her!
    Now that I know what sorts of lines I want to add to my breeding program, perhaps I'll try to make it to one of those sales at some point... and try even harder to not buy them all!!
    -Jessica

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by DickHertz View Post
    The two our owner bought arrived in PA yesterday. They are really nice looking mares. That sale was a good opportunity for someone to get into the breeding business.
    I had the sale on at work and when I had a chance to look they were $1-3K but did see one broodmare sell for $55K.. Theres just isn't anyplace here in Broward County for broodmares or I would have some.(2 or 3).
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Geeze, if the Ocala sale makes you sad don't come to the Shartlesville, PA, PA Racing Bred mixed sale!

This past April a Wolf Power broodmare went for $2,200. with a foal at her side!!!!

Most of the broodmares with foals were going for as little as $500.!!!! Norcrest bought three of those packages....

I was upset with the prices and I don't even have a dog in the fight. It'll be interesting to see if the prices are any better this time as the sale will be on a Sunday when race people (trainers) might actually be able to attend! Of course, the economy has not yet rebounded....
    "If you can't be thankful for what you have, you can at least be thankful for what you've avoided." author unknown