The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jobs and Horses?

What kind of hours do you work and what kind of job do you have that allows you to ride in any capacity? Are you single? Married? Kids? Living with someone?

I myself, work as a graphic designer/illustrator and work a fairly steady 9-5 with occasionally freelance on the side. I live on my own and am not married...This allows me to part board and ride 3X a week with a few shows here and there.

just curious.

HF
    ~Proud founder of the "Addicted to Lessons" clique~
    ~Ribbon Ho~

I'm a graphic designer too!

I've been lucky, it has allowed me the opportunity to freelance from home and have lots of flexibility... for both my daughter, and the horse thing!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I work as a claims adjuster for an insurance company. They let us set our own schedule, so I work 6:30-3. Which gives me all evening to run around and do horsie things, and still be able to have a little relaxing couch time before I have to go to sleep and start over.

I'm not married, but do have a wonderful boyfriend (no kids) and working that schedule gets the boring part of my day done, then I can get in my horse fix, all before he is done with work at 6, which has helped he and I a lot too, I believe. The evenings and weekend time I can't see him is less as I have plenty of time to do the barn thing and still beat him to my place or his, or meet him out somewhere...and I am a very happy camper
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

I have a boring administrative 8-5 office job that pays fairly well for this area. No one seems to mind that I take hour and a half lunches in nice weather to run to the barn for a ride as long as I adjust my hours.

I also married well enough that all my money is my own to do with as I like. No kids. But, just as with any other aspect of my life, when it comes to my horse interest, I have learned to live within my means.

I live with my boyfriend, young- no kids. I'm a lawyer and work whatever hours need to be worked to get the job done. I have two horses and ride 5 days a week- 3 mornings from 7-8:30 or so, then shower and go to the office and weekends.

Admin job at a nice non-profit org M-F and a boss who is wonderful. As long as I work all my hours in a week (37... don't ask; i knnow its weird) I can change my schedule around as needed. In the winter months, I take shortened lunches, or no lunch at all, so I can leave early one day a week. That gets me to the barn with enough time to ride before it gets dark (I also ride Saturday & Sunday). This is also handy the week leading up to a horse show or something, where I really ought to get to the show grounds before dark thirty!

I also occasionally do some catering, which is so much fun and great for extra horse activities. Cuz working at a non-profit, I'm not exactly raking it in!

I'm married, no kids, but my dogs practically count. Our commute is an hour each way, so that eats up a lot of time. The hounds are alone for 11 hours, so by the time I get home around 6pm, they're about to burst. If I left them any longer I'd feel terrible. My husband is basically on call 24/7, so I can't really count on him to be home at any certain hour on any given day. Not his fault, just something we have to work around.

I pay for all my horsie stuff out of my own paycheck, plus I put money away in savings every month. And all the utilities. Hubby takes care of the bigger stuff.
    Last edited by missamandarose; Oct. 7, 2008 at 03:59 PM.
    I have Higher Standards... do you?
    Apalachicola Native (Alfie), '02 TB Gelding,
    Wild Man of Borneo (Hank), '03 Redtick coonhound,
    Augustus McRae (Gus), '01 Bluetick coonhound

I live with my boyfriend. Kids are grown. I work an 8-5 job, and then go directly to the barn to work my 3 boys. Then I go home after that (8:00 pm) and get stuff done around there or just relax with the dogs. I do that 5 days a week. My boyfriend works a day job and a night job. On the weekends we can do what we please, but we always go out each day to work the horses. He is a trainer. Or use to be, he only trains my boys now. The boys do get one day off a week, but I still go out to the barn to help the BO clean their stalls, scrub their buckets or just give them treats.

Default Music Editor.....

I am a music editor, my base work week is 56 hours a week M-F, of course sometimes there are weekends that I work! I ride 4-5 days a week, nearly always in a lesson. I am married, no kids.

Well I work M-F 6am-3pm at an investment company. We are a 3rd party administrator/fund manager. Basically I fix all the mistakes that your advisor makes. I ride 6 days a week all 3 horses, Monday is the only day I don't ride, but retard hurt himself in pasture and I have to go walk and do bandage change. I am married, no kids quite yet but getting there. Hubby is non-horsie so has temper tantrum moments but is generally understanding. We split everything basically down the middle and have seperate bank accounts. He pays slightly more on the mortgage (like $100) and more of the utilities, but he also makes $12,000 more a year then me. My 3rd horse is a re-sale so I pay all my horse expenses with sales, trailering, braiding, and anything else people will pay me for.

I do board out but my mom loves the horses and pays board on 2 of them, so I just have all the shoes, vet, grain on all 3 and then board on 1. Should be down to 1 pony through the winter though. Mom gets paid back when investment pony sells, plus 1/2 of profit after expenses, so gives her a little extra spending cash.

I'm a RN. My work schedule 7 pm to 7:30 am 3 days a week is great for horses. I ride at least 4 days a week, but usually 5. On a week that I'm tired or want some overtime ($$$)....I pay to have a training ride.

Married, but no kids. Hubby works 8 am to 4, which leaves me with a lot of free time on my days off.
    ~Katelyn~

Single, 2 dogs (furry children). I'm an RMT and have my own clinic, so my schedual is flexible. I try to either book from 9am to 3pm, or 11am to 7pm (in a perfect world). That leaves me with either the afternoon or morning free to get to the barn and ride.

One day is a sacrifice day, I spend the day cooking and putting food in the freezer. And I try to get my dogs out for a long walk every other day.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

I work 8:30-5:00 M-F for a public adjuster firm and usually ride 6x/wk. I have horses at 2 different barns within 5mi of one another: my retired one, my eventer (and 1 in for CANTER to be sold. )

I give a few lessons each week, so in trying to fit in my own rides with the lessons, I am often at the stables everyday. I clean 20 stalls at one of the barns every Sunday to work off some of my retired horse's board.

And do I need to say it? I'm single. NO interest in kids. None whatsoever.

I work for a big health insurance company. My hours are 8 to 4:30. I just got a new job 3 weeks ago. It's still within the same company though. Before that my hours were 6:30 to 3. I miss those hours because I would go to the barn and ride and be home around 6. The horse that I ride lives outside 24/7 for the moment. I can't wait until he comes inside to live for the winter. It's starting to get dark really early and I have to walk him quite a distance to his turnout. I don't want to have to walk him when it's dark and it's annoying when it rains.

I'm an RN-work 12 hour days. I usually ride every day I'm not working, so about 4/week. Great job for horses, with the exception of working every other weekend. It seems that every show or clinic I want to attend falls on my work weekend. Isn't that just the way it goes, though?

I'm married, no kids. Hubby works 8-5 with a long commute.

HI
    I work a changing shift..either 6 AM to 6PM or 6PM to 6AM and that rotates every 28 days... and the days rotate so on one week I might have 3 days off the the next I have 4. So I try to ride 3 days a week. In the summer when the days are longer I can ride when I get home.

Im an airline pilot. Currently working only part time which has me home a min of 18 days a month. I have all day everyday to play with my girls and believe me I do!!!

Once the company rebounds they will no longer offer this part time sched that is why I'm desperately looking for a new job. When I go back to full time I will be lucky to be home 7 days total a month.

I'm young and my boyfriend and I live together.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy9532 View Post
    Im an airline pilot.
    Cool! Which aircraft do you fly?

Default :)

I work at an equine hospital 4 days a week from 7/8-5/6.30. I had to leave my horses on the other side of the country and I am woefully underpaid so I have no money for lessons. I have a bf, and we live together, he being awesome enough to move across the country so I can be in horse land. My kids are two cats that we got when we moved here.

I forgot to add I have two cockatiels. Izzy and Harley who are my kids and a QH 3hrs away at my parents who I can't afford to have in TO...
    ~Proud founder of the "Addicted to Lessons" clique~
    ~Ribbon Ho~

Married, 2 dogs, husband travels so I need to be 'round to avoid puppy puddles.

Vet tech, work 4 - ten hour shifts each week with o/t when necessary. Horse is 2 hours away now, so I see him about once a week or less. He's in training 4 days a week. When he lived 10 minutes down the road, I rode about 3x a week. Husband does little housework, grocery shopping, etc.

I'm sure if I weren't married I'd see my horse 3x a week even tho' he's far away.