The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone feed INDIVIDUAL joint supps?

As in a strictly glucosamine product, strictly MSM, strictly chondroitin, etc? I'm looking at revamping (again) my Smartpak and I think I can save a few pennies if I were to go this route (using Uckele's products plus SmartMSM - whcih smells like blueberries!).

Just curious if anyone goes this route at all. My other bases (vits/mins) are covered with a good multi-vit but I'm sick of paying $$ for expen$ive joint supps (that probably don't work but make ME feel better ).

Oh, and FWIW, Adequan did nothing... Legend worked, to an extent but I can't afford an additional $100+ a month for that (which would be about $70 more then I'm paying right now with supps).

Thanks!
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Yes, you can buy pure MSM, Glucosamine Sulfate or HCI, I think, and Chondroiten from reputable sources such as herbnhorse. I have been extremely happy with their products and you will save money. I also do feed straight HA when my horse is in work, there are several 'just HA' products that smartpak has that I have used, and I do find that it does make a difference with my horse, as does legend. In particular, Grand HA at 1/2 dose(from smartpak) is a very good option, since it still has 100 mg of HA at that level. I would say I noticed the biggest difference with that one, but have tried others as well. I was trying Vetri HA just prior to the injury, so not really sure how that worked, but I liked the idea behind it.

I also use horsetech's MSM product, and have used springtime's single joint products. Currently my horse has an injury, so I have cut back on all except the msm, and will try to find a cost effective route such as you are suggesting when he goes back to work. Of course, when you buy the single ingredients like that you move to, as my friend says, "dumbpaks" if you board and make up baggies all of the time. To me it is worth it, I can get very carried away with smartpaks, although I really like the company and wish that it had been my idea.

If Adequan did nothing, wouldn't that pretty much rule out using glucosamine/chondroitin and just doing MSM and HA type products?

And, in my broken record fashion, let me recommend Horseshine again -- it's anti-inflammatory effects were amazing in my 22 yo appy, however adequan also worked with him.

jan

I feed Hyla RX which is 100mg of HA in each ounce. I was on the fence regarding oral joint supplements but after feeling and seeing the results of my mare on it, I believe! Sorry the Adequan didnt work. It has been a life saver for my mare who is now on it once a month.

3spots - do you mean Omega Horseshine - the flax seed stuff? I have my mare on that for the flax and weight gain.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

KrazyTB, yes, Omega Horseshine. I used it for coat shine and fat, but was overwhelmed to discover such an improvement in my old gelding's arthritis. (And now, maybe with my mare, an improvement in allergies as she hasn't had hives since she has been on it.)

Since I had been using other flax products without this improvement I was curious why, and it seems HS has a very high Omega 3 content compared to others. Doing further internet research I found that high Omega 3 (5-8 grams per day) also improved inflammation in humans. So I came off of celebrex by taking daily flax oil.

A win for both of us!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks guys. I do have OHS that Gus has been on for weight gain, and it's worked wonders. He's currently not on it at all at the present time, but come winter it'll be worked back into the rotation, if needed.

I suppose if Adequan didn't work, then just MSM and HA may do the trick, but I feel better feeding a glucosamine/chondroitin supp also. Anyways, I think I'm gonna plug away some numbers and see where I get, cost wise to see if it's even worth it to me.

Thanks again!
    See G2's blog
    Photos

3spots - VERY interesting. I knew it had high omega 3's but didnt know that it can help with inflamation. My mare has DJD in both hocks, right one having a bone spavin as well. And then both stifles have bone remodeling and back in Feb were very inflamed. I started her on OHS a few months ago to get her EFA's in line and help with weight gain. She is going better than she ever has but I also added Hyla Rx to the mix at the same time as the OHS so not sure what is doing it or if its just the combo of it all.

How much do you feed a day? My mare gets 5 tablespoons 2x a day of OHS.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

I use a cup a day of HS fed all at once with beet pulp and a ration balancer.

FWIW, I never noticed a change with HA products -- maybe because I was already using HS? Dunno. I tried Lubrisyn and one other.

jan

Quote Originally Posted by 3Spots View Post
    I use a cup a day of HS fed all at once with beet pulp and a ration balancer.

FWIW, I never noticed a change with HA products -- maybe because I was already using HS? Dunno. I tried Lubrisyn and one other.

jan
    No, that just means at this time, your horse doesn't have any issues with creating enough synovial fluid for his joints. That's all HA helps with.

thanks, PJ4! i thought any type of arthritis would have some synovial fluid issue. I guess that is why it pays to try them all to see what works.

Quote Originally Posted by appychik View Post

Oh, and FWIW, Adequan did nothing... Legend worked, to an extent but I can't afford an additional $100+ a month for that (which would be about $70 more then I'm paying right now with supps).

Thanks!
    Adequan always does something.
    Legend helps with synovial fluid viscosity.
    If you would like proof in published works PM me.

If you get your vet to just write a scipt for the one you like you can give it yourself at 1/2 the cost.

I use pure MSM and pure Yucca. And Cetyl M because I get it really cheep. Not sure I believe in any oral stuff except for the MSM and Yucca but what the heck, Cetyl M is werid so I'll feed it. : )

I should use Adequan but I do not. I'm about to start on Legend because my horse has watery joint fluid.
    Last edited by purplnurpl; Oct. 8, 2008 at 12:46 PM.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    Adequan always does something.
    Legend helps with synovial fluid viscosity.
    If you would like proof in published works PM me.

If you get your vet to just write a scipt for the one you like you can give it yourself at 1/2 the cost.

I use pure MSM and pure Yucca. And Cetyl M because I get it really cheep. Not sure I believe in any oral stuff except for the MSM and Yucca but what the heck, Cetyl M is werid so I'll feed it. : )

I should use Adequan but I do not. I'm about to start on Legend because my horse has watery joint fluid.
    You're probably right that Adequan does something... but I never noticed any changes with Gus. Just not worth the $ right now. Legend did work, but it's an IV injection, unlike Adequan which is IM. I won't attempt to do an IV injection, IMs aren't such an issue.

I'm still plugging away numbers... looks like I can do individual MSM and glucosamine right now for about the same as what I'm paying for the other stuff. So, not sure if I really am better off or not. I'm going to look into other sources of glucosamine to see if I can find something cheaper and reputable .
    See G2's blog
    Photos

What dosage do you give on the MSM?

I give a tablespoon of MSM daily to my old guy Louie.
    Libby

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - DAVE BARRY

My senior horse gets MSM (20,000/day), a liquid HA supplement and Move-Ease (bioflavanoids). When I couldn't afford a bottle of Pentosan, these seemed to work better, esp. when I doubled the MSM dose. In his daily feed he gets a pelleted MSM so he's sure to eat it. I give the cheaper powdered version in a sloppy alfalfa pellet snack with the HA (and Source and Vit. E gelcaps).

The HA is very inexpensive and comparable to Lubrisyn. My horse still has plenty of go at twenty-nine yrs. old and I hesitate to change anything since it's been working well so far. I could always double the Move-Ease and HA at some point.

All these are inexpensive.

I always buy and feed supplements separately. It's much cheaper. You can buy good glucosamine from valley vet, and I buy chondroitin and msm from Pure Bulk--much cheaper.

I go through phases where I only do one at a time and take things out to see if anything works. I think msm is probably the most affective.

What I think really made a difference was previcox.