The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

hedgerow Guest

Default Where to buy prilled fat?

I have called several local feed stores and they all have no idea what I am asking for. I can only find cool calories and ultimate finish 100, but I remeber reading a while back that some have been able to find 50lb bags for much cheaper than buying 50lbs of cool calories Any suggestions would be great!

50 lbs bags are called "Performance Pak 100" and is manufactured by Milk Specialties.

http://www.msccompany.com/cp/products.htm

hedgerow Guest

Thanks so much for the link. Exactly what I was looking for

When I bought it, it was a hell of a lot less expensive in a 50 lbs bag vs buying buckets of Cool Calories! Who knows about now, though...

<>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

The feed store (J&L) near me has it. Last I checked it was $39.95 for 50#. They would probably be willing to ship it, if shipping can be had reasonably. Their number is 585/599-6400. Ask for Jim. They do also sell it by the pound, so if you know you're going to go through say, 15 pounds a month, they can just do that for you.

You may wish to check if the prilled fat is derived from vegetable oil
    or animal fat. The vegetable oil prilled fat is what Cool Calories is made
    from and is generally considerably more expensive than prilled fat made
    from animal fat. Some horses will not eat prilled fat from animal fat
    sources and some owners are not comfortable feeding animal fat
    to horses. Milk Specialties makes both a vegetable and an animal
    source prilled fat product.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Performance Pak 100 is the vegetable oil version.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie-Nicole View Post
    The feed store (J&L) near me has it. Last I checked it was $39.95 for 50#. They would probably be willing to ship it, if shipping can be had reasonably. Their number is 585/599-6400. Ask for Jim. They do also sell it by the pound, so if you know you're going to go through say, 15 pounds a month, they can just do that for you.
    Wow! That's an excellent price. When I purchased it ... oh, perhaps a year ago now, 50 lbs was in the $60-$70 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Wow! That's an excellent price. When I purchased it ... oh, perhaps a year ago now, 50 lbs was in the $60-$70 range.
    They buy it in bulk and add it to their feed formulations. The stuff smells like vomit though. But, the horses always eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie-Nicole View Post
    They buy it in bulk and add it to their feed formulations. The stuff smells like vomit though. But, the horses always eat it.

The prilled fat I have purchased smells like vanilla or wax--it does not smell bad at all. That's very weird that what you can get smells like vomit. Are you sure it's not animal fat?

apparently a dumb question but am I the only person who doesn't understand the term "prilled" ? why not just feed oil if all you want are easily chewed and cool calories?

Why Prilled Fat? Because many barns don't want to dink around with messy oil bottles, sticky measuring cups and a crowded fridge.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post

The prilled fat I have purchased smells like vanilla or wax--it does not smell bad at all. That's very weird that what you can get smells like vomit. Are you sure it's not animal fat?
    No, it's definately vegetable. And they store it in a cool dry area. Maybe it's just my f'd up sense of smell.