The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Boy are my parents proud, I am officially a weenie washer!

I'm trying to really reduce expenditure.

1. I'm now making a sandwich every day at work.
    2. SHAVINGS ... so we order bulk shavings about two weeks ago. 10 yards for $160. Just found I could pick up the SAME shavings (actually sawdust which we like better) for (get this) $24.00 for 4 yards.
    3, Switched ALL lightbulbs to CF.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Im going to become a stripper

haha...just kidding!!!!!

I try to make my lunch everyday now. I got a part time job teaching up downers twice a week which almost covers my board. I'm getting married next year so rather than having a big wedding, we are eloping and spending one tenth of the cost. Also I am postponing any showing with my greenie til next year which is easy to rationalize since it's almost winter
    I also no longer stop the car when I pass the tack shop, I don't even slow down sometimes. I'm very proud

I really wasent all that concerned as I have a job and between myself and the BF we do pretty well. ( well as well as living in an apt and needing a new car that I know im not going to get a loan for now ) can do !!

But work has been on shakey ground, I think its time to start hunting.. So since I have a habit of spending $ like its going outta style, I have told myself no more spending !!!!!!!!!!

I need a new bridle ( and actually really do need one) but thats not going to happen.

I need new field boots( not going to happen).

Need more black work pants and sweaters for work ( making due with what I have, and praying I dont put on the winter 10 I do every year )... Well I suppose If I lose my job I wont have to buy pants anyway !!

I have always brought lunch to work ( yes I am that dedicated as I dont take a lunch ) haha

No more, Im going to make this for dinner grocery stops, Ill make what we have and use it till its gone.

Im weighing a winter gym membership or a Nintendo WII and getting the WII fit ...fellow COTHERS please tell the BF the WII fit is much less expensive !!( and I totally want that horse game ) !!!

I had two more shows scheduled for the year .. Im attending one that my entry is already in for.. and not the other ( Ive just decided that today ) GOOO MEE !!!!

No more shoes ( well just one more black pair ) I have an insane amount of shoes... Seriously, NO more shoes.

Cutting out the supplements, The U-gard he can do without during the winter ( im hoping as his life really is .. not that stressful ( trust me ) )

No more tack of the day, no more breeches, my horse does not need more CLOTHING. this includes more boots than I have ( and please read the no more shoes for myself statement ) no more coolers, blankets,sheets,scrims and anything else used to keep said hossy warm.

The 10.00 at the store every morning needs to stop... Coffee, donuts and stupid other items that are preparing me for the inevitable " I need more black pants" rant needs to stop.

Im keeping my Cigs though, Giving up all this other stuff ?? Fine, But I must keep my one vice.......
    Ride it like you stole it....ohhh sh*t

Not buying all those things that I really don't need (another pair of horse boots, another pair of breeches, another show shirt, etc.)

Not going out to eat (or ordering in) for dinner, although I've always made my lunch so can't save much there...

Not buying all the things I want for the new house

Pushing off the wedding for at least two years (just got engaged )

Not taking lessons or showing (although this started off b/c my horse was lame and sadly I have had a TON of vet bills lately which add up to more than I am saving by not lessoning/competing... Not to mention the new baby, the normal expenses that go with that, but also another HUGE pot of vet bills... )

Haven't cut supplements (yet) and feed is included in board (which is going up again though)

Going to start taking the metro to and from work

No vacation or trip to see out-of-town family this year

Hoping that does it and I don't have to move the horses or totally stop taking lessons/competing... but we'll see if I still have a job in the next couple of months (my company is about to be bought out...)
    Winfield Farm
    Karrera "Zoee" ~ Redshift "Orion" ~ Inquisitive "Q" ~ No Doubts "Lady"
    I Paid For My Vet's New Truck Clique

We are fortunate w/ solid financial (so far). So I'm not cutting back because trainer and barn can use steady income. I hope this doesn't sound bad but I think it's important to keep $ moving through the local economy. I order from the local tack shop even when I could find the same thing slightly cheaper online. (My puppy just gave it a shot in the arm by chewing up my fancy half-chaps so I had to get another pair.) I do try not to buy too much imported stuff; it's not easy though.

Quote Originally Posted by MelantheLLC View Post
    We are fortunate w/ solid financial (so far). So I'm not cutting back because trainer and barn can use steady income. I hope this doesn't sound bad but I think it's important to keep $ moving through the local economy.
    That doesn't sound bad. I think it's important for those of us that are solid financially to conserve in the ways we can (gas, water, energy) and spend in responsible ways that help our local economies. Keep giving, keep helping, keep supporting local business if you can. But be smart about saving, because you never know when your luck will run out.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Default Bartering

In addition to cutting back on the spending and frivolous stuff, we're also bartering with other people or vendors for services. For example, last month DH managed to knock $500 off a bill to have our chimney repaired (kind of important, since we have a wood stove for heat!) by doing some work at no charge for the repair guys. All it cost him was a little time doing something he enjoyed anyway, and it wasn't anywhere near $500 worth of labor - though the chimney guys thought it was!

So, is anyone else bartering services for services? How about riding lessons for the daughter of the mechanic who fixed your truck's transmission? Or a reduction in board for the attorney whose horse(s) are in full-care, in exchange for looking over contracts or helping sue a boarder behind in payment?

Cooking food in bulk and freezing it (instead of expensive prepared food and takeout).

No new horse stuff (blankets, halters, etc.) unless I absolutely need it.

Ditto on clothes for myself.

I am going to buy a saddle, however, and will take in extra freelance work to pay for it.

I dropped her hoof supplement a few months ago and her feet have continued to be great, so the other supplements must have something she needs in there.

I'm giving her the winter off...not just because of costs, but it will mean less money spent on gas to trailer to my friend's indoor arena and less money on arena fees (nominal, but still...).

I've stuck with one lesson a month, even though I'd like to do 2.

I'm giving her IM shots myself (estrone for her stifles).

That's about it...not much else I can cut out for her.

1. I cut out the fluid action, because I'm skeptical about the effectiveness and also because he doesn't have any issues--it was a preventative. But I'm keeping the hoof supp & daily wormer.

2. I applied for a second job. It will be at night. It requires a GED & I have a J.D. among other things. I only point that out because I've found that it is hard to get part time work when you are "overeducated". So cross your fingers for me. I quit the law job this spring, though, (HUGE YAY!!!) and am now 100% commission/fee. Even though I am doing fine financially (although I will miss that Christmas bonus) my goal is to pay off everything ala Dave Ramsey. Additionally my husband is working more than one job.

3. Going along with the Dave Ramsey theme I should sell the horse (who is officially mine this month) and sell the saddles, but that's not gonna happen, so I haven't quite embraced total frugality. Hopefully this is the crew that will understand. But I did turn down a super sweet bottom dollar filly that I've wanted for 2 years ...

4. Cut out trips, eating out, buying cheaper wine & less frequently (I love my wine), making lattes at home, eating lunch at home or packed, no more doggy daycare, etc.

5. I'd love to figure out a way to sell some of the thousands of books I own....

As a sidenote, it is interesting to me how threatened people get when you do frugal things. For example, the barn owner made a really big deal, in front of others, of me taking my non-symptomatic pain free horse off of fluid action.

Good luck, Pumpkin, don't be surprised if she winds up in your pasture... I spent two years saying no... here she is.

As far as cutting back, I'm getting round bales for them instead of tossing a square bale out every morning, I decided to just let them be pastured this winter instead of finishing all the stalls in the barn, that's about all I could cut back horse wise, I'm not a real shopper in that respect.

For my personal stuff, I don't get lattes anymore. $1 coffee in the morning, and I pack lunch. The only food I buy is food that's on sale, or averages about $1 to $1.20 a meal. Maybe I'm neurotic, but yes I do the calculations in my head. So tired of spending money on nice dinners out, with nothing to show for it. Taking my boyfriend's old BMW, instead of my F150, to work everyday to save on gas money.

I work in sales, and I was so worried things were going to slow down. People are still spending thus far, thank god. But I want to be prepared.

We're trying to think both short and long term. DH and I both grew up dirt poor, so we know how to economize if we have to. For now, we're both in a good industry and area jobwise, and hopefully that will continue, because it seems like my some of my horse expenses are going UP instead of down. New farrier is double the cost of the old one, but worth it. I'd rather pay a good farrier than pay for foot or lameness problems. Baby-boy needs a chiropracter. I AM saving on lessons now... used to be $50 per horse for old trainer to come to me, new one I trailer to once a week is only $25 for my lesson and $30 for her working with baby-boy. Lesson is only 1/2 hour, which actually works better for both my lack of fitness and baby-boy's attention span.

Both horses are easy keepers, yay! 11P feed and decent quality hay seems to keep them both in great weight.

Putting off buying a dressage coat for this year... instead I'll just wear my nice dark chocoloate coat with white shirt and breeches... if we show at all it will be schooling shows.

Putting a lot of resources in getting my small acreage grassy to save on hay.

Have stopped buying anything I don't need that's not horse related. Have decided to focus all my time and resources on the horses and cut out everything else. I did splurge on new custom boots... from LM, so were only $520. Taking a chance that they'll be fine for the limited riding that I do. Took my old Voge field boots to cobbler to have zips put in, haven't been able to wear them for 4 years. If anyone out there knows of a way to make my calves stop growing, it would probably save me a fortune in tall boots.

DH and I are starting a new financial plan that will hopefully have our house paid off in 9 years... we're in our early 50's, so that would be awesome, although I was hoping to get out of our area, but hey... no mortgage or board fees will make my horse habit doable on retirement income, so I'll take it as a trade-off. Keeping the daughter debt-free in college is making us all happy, she'll be out June 2010, so that will be a nice raise in income, which will go toward the mortgage.

And if it gets harder... will put up my car and spend an extra hour a day on the commuter bus.

This summer/fall I've been focusing more on fun type riding outings rather than competing. I've done several organized rides at XC facilities (so I get to jump XC), hunter paces and affordable clinics.
    We still have alot of fun socially and we get off the property.We also found many new places to trail ride with others nearby on the weekends etc...
    The hunter paces and pleasure rides are considerably cheaper than the 150.00+ I would be spending to do a Horsetrial with coaching.

Just sold a bunch of tack on Ebay.

Most of these changes aren't just related to the economy but also a lack of time! I've been very busy this year working on my Masters degree and I just don't have the time to devote to serious schooling/training for competition.
    Last edited by LookinSouth; Oct. 7, 2008 at 01:43 PM.

Not eating out as much, have cut back to small, local shows once a month, my horse does not get treats (), I do my own body-clipping and am planning to offer it as a service this year rather than exclusively doing my own horses, and we are retiring our older horse from showing. We also have allowed our sale horse to be used as a lesson horse so we are only paying vet and farrier on her. If things get really tight we might take our greenie and retiree to a sort of pasture-board situation where they can be ridden but the expense will be way low. Hope it doesn't come to that though - the retiree won't do well living out and we'd hate to take the greenie out of training.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    Im going to become a stripper

haha...just kidding!!!!!

Hey-don't knock it til you try it.
    I made damn good money doing that. And it's not as bad as the world thinks,depends where you work.

I'm lucky we have not had to cut back on anything. My hubby is in medical sales and Dr's will always need things.
    you look vaguely familiar.

"And somewhere -- wherever the racing gods live -- there was unabated laughter at this comeuppance. Karma's a Witch, babe, and so is the Triple Crown. "

I've cut WAY back on my horse's supplements. He used to get too many, anyway (joint supplement, hoof supplement, multi-vitamin, msm, cool calories, aspirin as needed, etc).

I also used to buy him a bag of Senior and give him an extra meal every day while he was recovering from his tendon injury - he had lost a lot of weight over the winter and I needed to get that back on him. Well, he's fat now, so no extra meal necessary. Now I just leave baggies out with the couple supplements I still give to him (multi-vitamin, joint supplement) so that our guys can feed it to him every morning. (This is also beneficial in that I don't have to worry about getting out there every day to give them to him - thus, saves me money on gas to/from the barn.)

I pulled his shoes and have him barefoot, and our new farrier is not only EXCEPTIONAL, but he is really affordable. He just increased his price for a trim from $30 to $35. I try to stretch his trims out to 7 or 8 weeks if possible.

I haven't taken a lesson in YEARS. I don't show anymore. I actually try to take a couple days "off" from the barn every week. I don't buy horsey things unless they're absolutely necessary - and Lord knows I haven't bought anything for MYSELF in ages. Mostly, I'm just trying to keep on top of things - it's funny how if you pay those household bills ON TIME, they're not as expensive as they are with late charges!!!

It's almost winter, though, which means that $85/month heat surcharge is going to start showing up on the bills soon, thus negating all my other monthly savings...boo.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeTheGlory View Post
    Hey-don't knock it til you try it.
    I made damn good money doing that. And it's not as bad as the world thinks,depends where you work.

I'm lucky we have not had to cut back on anything. My hubby is in medical sales and Dr's will always need things.

Well I'm too fat to strip *sigh* so that one is out for me....

My mare gets TC Senior exclusively, which is at $20 a bag here. I purchase it myself and do not get a discount on board for buying my own grain, so it's getting pretty expensive. I will probably try switching her to a 50/50 mix of TC and barn grain to cut down on expenses. She's not getting anything new, period, unless it's a new saddle and if so, I'm selling the old one before I buy a new one. Well, she needs a new midweight blanket too, but it'll probably be a cheapie off Ebay. I may cut her CortaFlex supplement too.

As for myself--we almost never eat out anymore, and if we do, it's Culver's or Taco Bell. I bring my lunch to work every day. Cut out the Starbucks and get $1 gas station coffee now. Cut my barn trips back from 4-5 days a week to 3 trips a week, saving a lot of gas (barn is 35 miles round-trip). I only buy new clothes if I absolutely need them, and I shop Target or Von Maur clearance now rather than Macys. Canceled the dog trainer and stopped doggie daycare.

I'm cutting back wherever I can.....this economy scares me.