The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default *Spinoff* Has this Ever Happened to You!

Spinning off from Eponacowgirl's
    Have you Ever wanted to Do This.
    I say, Has this ever happened to you!

I work at a Feed Store. And it was a normal day. We have the normal tack and horsie essentials.
    A gentleman walked in. A hefty older gentleman, but very polite and talkative. Though sometimes you can never tell. He just didn't seem horsie. Perhaps his daughter rode. But I greeted him, and continued folding flyers we were sending to customers.
    After a while of browsing through the Horse section he stopped on the crops. And seemed to be having trouble finding what he needed. He was holding a pink bat . And that clued me in... he must have a child that rode.
    I of course asked him. " Can I help you with anything"
    He replied " Do you have this in black, and you know the crops with the hands on the end"
    I laughed. " Yes sir we can order it. But the pink is cute too. We do have that with the hand. "
    " No , I need the black... has to be black. "
    I smile " Of course, we can order it. Or are you in need of it now. Have a certified show comnig up. Or does the barn require certain colors. " I said as he smiled slapping the stick against his hand. " No.. No shows, I needed it for tonight. But could you order me one like that. And one longer, one with a little more sting. "
    I Raise a eyebrow but nod. " yes we can. What event are you going to. "
    " No Event. I like to uh... play"

Needless to say I turned and ran, we ordered it. But I guess he found one with cat tails at his local "store"

YUCK
    Any Stories like that.
    I am sick, and sitting in the store... bored.
    Let's have some good laughs!
    Zook Suit Riot- Mustang/Paint Gelding
    Proud member of the KELTON'S Crew
    CousinVinsky-Skinny Vinny JockeyClub/Alydar Grandson.Gelding Chestnut.
    CUnex2zdai- 2008 Buttermilk Buckskin Colt -ABHA/IBHA

I have apparently lived a sheltered life.....

I wonder if he's a member of the Other Pony Club?

I know about doms and S&M of course (I haven't been that sheltered), but I don't think I've ever encountered one who was so outspoken about their predilections.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

hey he was probably looking in a store he figured No One he know would be in..
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

LOL
    "Farriers are the hairdressers of the horse world. They know everything about everybody..."-Lildunhorse

I worked in a tack store that also sold vaccines, for horses as well as dogs and cats. And, of course, in order to inject vaccines, you need needles and syringes. And in order to inject into small animals, like cats, you need very small needles... which apparently are also the type preferred for *other* injecting activities, as they apparently hurt less and leave less of a mark.

While the majority of our customers seemed quite legit, buying vaccines WITH the syringes, we occasionally got some REALLY shifty characters who needed just the needles and syringes... "for their dogs." Riiiiiiiiiight.

State law required that we record the driver's license number of everyone purchasing syringes of that size, but of course nobody ever looked at our records, or cared. Not that we really did, either - if they're going to use, at least this way they're getting sterile needles, right?

Still a shocker to little old teenaged me when I started working there!

Yes, that has happened to me too. I traveled with some friends and spotted a warehouse sized tack shop (with other pet stuff) and talked them into stopping for me to browse. My non horsey buddy went RIGHT TO the hand shaped crops, picked one out & bought it.

And I gather all the discarded needles & syringes I can because I'm a furniture restorer and nothing injects glue into a cracked joint as well as a big needle. But I definitely get the "looks" from my vet and barnmates.

I will never look at the little kids waving those crops around and whacking each other with them the same way again.

We were in a local tack store several years ago, when I had just started riding, and my parents were your typical new horsey parents. I was looking at who knows what, and my dad was aimlessly looking around at stuff, picking it up, examining...just hanging out. He picked up a white handled dressage whip (IIRC, that's what we had gone to buy), and the tack store lady freaked out. Comes running over, grabs it from my dad, puts it back and says "I'm sorry, you can't hold that unless you're going to buy it. I know it's fun for you guys, but the other men who chase their wives around the store with my whips get the white handles all dirty". Now, if you knew this woman, and you knew my dad, you'd understand just how stupid a comment that was.... And my poor dad Talk about uncomfortable
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

Talk, I'll admit to picking up a dressage whip, and smacking my SO on the behind with it....

But, but I did buy it, and not to use on him. Much.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMeadowMorgans View Post
    LOL
    Jill, did you get on my 'puter and post under my name? LMAO, I know for a fact I was in the barn at 4:30 yesterday!!!
    "Farriers are the hairdressers of the horse world. They know everything about everybody..."-Lildunhorse

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    Talk, I'll admit to picking up a dressage whip, and smacking my SO on the behind with it....

But, but I did buy it, and not to use on him. Much.
    tsk tsk...

Maj, if Jill (whoever that is ) logs on as you again, and says "Yes, it was me!", I swear I'm going to accuse you of talking to yourself.
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

A friend of mine needed to have her western saddle repaired, but lacked the time to get it into the repair store. So, her elderly father-in-law volunteered to take it in for her. Off to the store he goes, enters the shop and hands the saddle over to the shop owner, who takes it into the back room to look it over for the repair estimate. FIL is left standing there for quite a bit of time, starts to look around, and realizes that while everything IS leather in the store, and there are whips, crops and other sundries hanging off the walls, NONE of it relates at all to equestrian enterprises. He left the store in shock without the quote, and returned to the barn babbling. His DIL had to call in, get the quote and okay the job.

They did do a real nice job fixing the saddle though.

Perhaps I should tell you about the drop-dead gorgeous, mini-skirted, long hair blonde who lived in a neighboring home, drove a red convertible, had a closet filled with all sorts of these things, and turned out to be a guy?? What a jaw-dropper THAT was! LOL!

I gave a dressage whip to a friend of my BF once because he just couldn't put it down, thought it was the coolest thing. Whatev- it was a cheapo $9.99whip.

I've had a couple (yes, more than one) of very dear but very different friends ask me if I can get them 'authentic' crops- convinced that tack stores are like Sams Club- must have a membership to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    Maj, if Jill (whoever that is ) logs on as you again, and says "Yes, it was me!", I swear I'm going to accuse you of talking to yourself.
    LMAO, Jill is Zooksuitriot. We work together and I think she must have logged on my computer and not remembered I had it set to remember me I have been known to mutter to myself on occasion

OK, this is a little off topic, but I have to share. One night I stopped in the grocery store late to pick up milk. There was only one other customer in there. I ran into him in the aisles a couple of times, and then got in the checkout right behind him. He only had two things... a long cuccumber and a can of Redi-Whip. After he left, I asked the clerk how she kept a straight face through that one, and she said that wasn't the funniest combination she'd ever seen.

Default SHE MADE ME DO IT

Yes it was me!
    She made me say it....

Rediwhip.... Cucumber.... nights of fun! Geez, I would have been busting out laughing .... right behind him. But again I am synical!
    Zook Suit Riot- Mustang/Paint Gelding
    Proud member of the KELTON'S Crew
    CousinVinsky-Skinny Vinny JockeyClub/Alydar Grandson.Gelding Chestnut.
    CUnex2zdai- 2008 Buttermilk Buckskin Colt -ABHA/IBHA

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    He only had two things... a long cuccumber and a can of Redi-Whip. After he left, I asked the clerk how she kept a straight face through that one, and she said that wasn't the funniest combination she'd ever seen.
    He forgot the wine and roses.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!