The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile What is the craziest thing you have seen on the trail?

I bet some people have seen some crazy things! What is the craziest thing you have seen on the trail?

A few friend and I were trail riding and came to a meadow that had a group of people meditating in a circle, they were all sitting indian style in a circle holding hands with their eyes closed humming. Unfortunately the trail head that we had to get too was right by their circle so we tried to as quietly as possibly ride by, but some of our horses were like WTF and we had to really prod them to move on, you could see some of the people slightly opening one eye to take a peek as to what was going by, it was too much like that one tic tac commerical, I thought I'd bust out laughing but I didn't want to be rude. I kept praying my horse wouldn't decided to poop right there or fart like she does when she's nervous sometimes!

Default Hay

I ride in this one park that has all these old cars and appliances on this one trail. The stuff is from the 30s and 40s when everyone used the great outdoors as their junk pile. There are old cars, washing machines, ovens and other things from that era. It is kinda interesting to see all those old things and we call that trail the Appliance Trail.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Two guys walking through the woods with big stuffed green garbage bags slung over their shoulders. I rode right through their patch and the girls with me loaded up their saddle bags.
    I couldn't figure out why they wanted all those weeds

Forgot this one. A guy running buck naked after a hobbled horse that was running away hopping with both front feet strapped together. A stream stopped the horse and he caught the horse.. Wait a minute, that was me

A clown. In full dress/makeup. I almost fell off laughing because it was just too odd.

She was actually at the trailhead, looking for a party she was to appear at. We directed her down the highway a bit further to the main park entrance. We had ridden by the party site earlier so figured that's where she belonged.

That reminds me...riding in a quiet, heavily wooded area, on a seldom used trail...round a bend ....and SNORT. BLOW. HEAD BOB....

a Mylar balloon. A Frosty the Snowman Mylar balloon. White face, coal eyes, carrot nose. Smile. But no 'body' of course...just a floating white face, its string hung in a limb, so it floated about 5' off the ground. My horse turned to stone, LOL. the other two with me didn't really seem to notice, but Chip could NOT sort that face LOL

This story isn't that outrageous but here it goes....My sister and I and our respective families ride alot in the mountains. It seems everyone sees wildlife but us. Our husbands see moose, deer, elk, coyotes, etc. In all the times we have been riding, we've seen the hind end of a few deer. Our husbands tell us we never see wildlife because we never stop talking the whole time we ride. We need to enjoy and embrace the silence of the trees and forest. Gibberish!! We are there to talk, talk, talk. So one day we are riding and amazingly we notice this tiny little coyote curled under a tree taking a nap. We stopped talking and just watched the coyote. and watched and watched. It never moved. It was dead. Obviously just freshly dead as it was still intact. We thought as a joke, we should pack it on the back of one of our horses and taunt our husbands that not only do we see the wildlife, we can tame it. Of course neither one of us could muster up the courage to pick up a dead coyote but we sure had a good laugh over it.

step aside sassy Guest

a porcupine in an apple tree. He was "hiding" - so he thought, and I thought for sure that my horse would take off for the hills. Apparently she saw him long before I did and didn't blink an eye.

Default The BRA tree...

There is a state park with horse trails in Hadley, MI. I was riding there with some friends and we came to the top of a hill and there was a BIG oak tree. It must have been either spring or fall or the tree is dead as there were few leaves, but there were bras hung on the tree. EVERYWHERE.

There must have been 50 - 75 bras. Leopard and tiger patterned ones, white, black, red, nude, prints, etc. etc. All sizes. On gi-normous one was "on" a large trunk section. These bras were closed (hooked closed) and hung with precision, not just tossed.

I guess that particular place is a favorite hang out for high school teens. There must be meaning behind the bras. But it was a great conversation piece. We did find another tree with a half-dozen tennis shoes in it it, but nothing like the Bra Tree.

This isn't the craziest but is sorta funny is the antelope barking at us. Sounds just like a dog. I believe it's the male's warning system trying to defend his harem.

Two guys in a very intimate scene... a little too intimate.

We were mooned in the wilderness by a group of drunk young men while heading back from a pack trip.

I thought of- not so much crazy- but fairly interesting. We trailered down to some trails. In the parking lot we were tacking up and getting to ride when a group returned from the trails. In tow was a nice looking cattle dog. So this group loads up and leaves just as we were mounting up. They did not take the dog. I thought- wow that's odd?

So we hit the trails- the dog sees us and follows. Actually he also led part of the way too. We passed other groups riding but he never left us. People asked if it was our dog- nope. We were out for about 2 hrs. We arrive back at the trailer and he sits in the parking lot watching us. They have a watering trough which he got a drink. I gave him a snack and he let us pet him but that was about it.

Another group was getting set to trail ride as we were packing up and loading horses. The dog 'hitched' a ride out with them once he saw we were leaving.

Pretty cool dog. Found out that the dog lives near the parking lot and does this almost every day Haven't riddent here in a while but hope he's still around.

My very first post on COTH was in reply to a similar thread, so here we go again:

Riding in the local state park, years ago when I lived in OH. Snowy winter day, and we're trotting through the woods and I look down and see a heart in the snow. A fresh, meaty, bleeding heart. No tracks, no clue as to how it got there. I kept right on going, because folks it was plenty big enough to belong to an animal roughly my size....Yes, I said to myself, deer heart, hunter dropped it packing it out, yessiree, deer not human yep yep yep...but I'm thinking in retrospect that deer season was like a week long at most and I wouldnt swear it was THAT week.....

Now that is *really* wierd. Could an eagle have dropped it? I'm sure you've gone over every possibility in your head.

Sarah in Durango
    www.fourcornerstrails.com

A great big, green, horned Hercules beetle right at eye level (on horseback) on a branch as I rounded a corner. Biggest, uglies thing I've ever seen. Almost ran into that branch!! I've never seen one before (or again) outside of a museum.
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

Probably a mannequin someone had apparently dumped (?) into the forest preserve (that's where the trails were). Like a mannequin straight from a store, all limbs attached and everything. It was naked too.

The horses sure did give that the hairy eyeball as we tried to convince them to pass it.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Hmmmn
    We were riding in the woods in Dover, MA about 17 years ago when we came around a bend in the trail and nearly ran over a nun, who was out their meditating. There was a nearby monastary and they must have been having a retreat with some folks from the convent. Not sure who was more frightened- the nun or my green young horse!!!
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy, Cadet & CCS Silinde
    member VADANoVA www.vadanova.org

Moonstruck Acres Guest

Default Naked man and..

I saw a lady walking a goat and a baby carriage and also a Naked man meditaing.