The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    Umm, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding just what is so shocking in this part of the story?
    Aw, c'mon, how many times have you been driving down the freeway and then suddenly confronted with a veritable army of 7 galloping cowboys emerging mysteriously from the desert? I would have been rather surprised, too! Sounds pretty exciting, actually.

I expect there was more than the way he was hauled, like the condition of the horse.
    I do think that hauling a horse like that is not only dangerous for the horse, but for other motorists, if something happen.
    "Unsecured cargo", I like that one.

This is how we hauled to shows in Florida/Alabama/Tennessee in the late 60's, early 70's.
    Our horses jumped up there and off without any problem.
    That gray was the region's high point jumper:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan072, September 26, 2007.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	22665  

Bluey, was it part of the warmup to get the grey to jump into and out of the truck?
    I HAVE seen pics of people in the past shipping horses like that, but admit that I am way too much of a worrier to try it.
    I remember stopping some teens from stuffing a pony (who was badly injured, though they didn't know it at the time) into the back of a small pickup. They knew me, so were willing to bow to my greater wisdom as the ride would have involved going through an underpass (which was the reasoning I used, instead of saying they were dumbarses as the pony had never shipped that way before.
    The teenaged owner who was WAY too tall (picture waist-high pony) had ridden it about 3-4 miles to impress her friends where she worked. Pony fell at one point and cut its knee - and got gravel and dirt into the joint capsule - I could see synovial fluid leaking and knew it was bad. Vet put it down.
    Kind of sidetracked there.....point is, most of us would rather find a safer way to ship our guys because there are so many options out there now.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

There are 10 events in the traditional Charreada. In California, 4 of those events are illegal.

As for the horse on a flatbed, it's no different than any unsecured load --- it's dangerous and presents a huge hazard for other drivers on the road.

It's important for people to report animal activities that seem off or dangeorus. Here in Sonoma County, AC relies on citizens to make reports of illegal horse tripping events --- which go on all the time in our area. It's an important component of enforcing the law!

A few weeks ago I saw someone here in Florida on one of our main highways (I-75) pulling one of those metal flatbed trailers (that you normally see lawnmowers on) with two small shetland ponies (possibly B-minis) just tied with twine to the front. He was in the middle lane going about 75mph (he passed me and I was going 70mph). I was afraid one of the ponies would shift sideways and just step his hind end right off the trailer. So many things could have happened, not to mention that that the ponies were just getting blown all over the place and could have gotten seriously hurt by flying debris etc (how many times have we all gotten rocks, lit cigaretts and other debris thrown up at our vehicles?!). I called the State Troopers and gave them the license plate number - hope they stopped them at some point. Poor ponies. - I can only imagine what other ignorant things were going to happen to them in the hands of these idiots.

Not a flat bed... and well, not a horse BUT...

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    Holy Cow--I have fits when I see dogs on flat beds. Can't imagine a horse on one--how
    fortunate animal control was even there!

One of our local constables pulls over folks with dogs in the back of trucks, flat bed or
    pick up, that aren't secured. Writes them a ticket for an unsecured load. Bless his heart!
    I was zoned out of the couch about a year ago, watching America's Funniest Videos and watched a video of a German Shepherd tied (and standing) by the collar to the hitch neck of a small flatbed trailer buzzing down the highway.

The audience laughed.

I wanted to write a letter.

I want to kick the guy who was hauling him. Maybe bite him too.
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    Ah yes " common sense " and of course it has to mean the same thing to everyone.
    Less to do with "common sense" than pragmatism - you use what you've got to do your work. My mom just sent me a photo she took last week in rural Missouri of two mules in the back of a pickup truck, with a few spare bits of wood as railings.

This is a good example of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

Before we were given the name "horse people" we had a palomino pony. We owned a campground in northern Michigan and lived up there...I was only about 3 or 4 years old myself, so I remember very little of it.

And this is how we acquired the pony: A friend of my Dad's came trotting up the driveway on a small palomino mare...mind you at the time she looked 17 hands to me! He was carrying a stick with him. My Mom yelled at him for having the stick b/c she thought it was to beat the pony. He replied that the stick was to keep away all the dogs. He told us that he had just spent 8 hours chasing this pony in a field until he finally got her. I don't know who was more tired, him or the pony. Then he rode her a few miles to our house. No one ever claimed this pony mare. We figured, and found out the hard way, that she was probably let loose on purpose.

I could sit on her back while my sister and brother groomed her. We actually kept her in a big screen tent! My brother thought he was cool and would get on the pony in front of his friends-he was about 8 at the time. We didn't own a saddle or bridle, so it was just a halter and lead. Everytime that he tried to ride her she would take off like a bronc. She figured out how to get loose and started running through the small neighborhood, even taking out a few tents here and there.

My parents found the pony a home. I don't think we kept her but for a few weeks. The people came and got her and loaded her up in their pick up truck bed! I look back now and feel kind of bad for the misunderstood pony. I never knew what happened to her, hopefully she went to a better home then what we could provide at the time. The whole pick up bed story reminded me of her.

LOL sakura...cool photo!
    The pick ups I saw hauling horses wehn I was younger looked like the one in Bluey's photo...wood sided pick up beds. I wouldn't do that nowadays...and I didn't do it then but it wasn't uncommon back then.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Hopping up onto the back of a pick-up was the normal way for a saddled cow horse to go to work about thirty years ago - that or be ridden there, mostly off-road. When they got to work they would just hop off. Seemed normal at the time.

It wasn't that long ago when the members of my trail club (BCHW) hauled horses in pickups with stock racks all the time. I still see some of the old timers still practicing this and the horses are none the worse for wear. A few years ago I was at a trail head and a little old guy on a little mule come riding out of the woods and he proceeded to put a pair of home-made goggles on his mule and load him up in the back of his pickup (with stock sides) and down the road he went. All the little mule needed was a scarf around his neck! I agree the flatbed was not good but there's nothing wrong with a pickup if it's properly outfitted to carry stock.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    Umm, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding just what is so shocking in this part of the story?
    It just surprised me, like I said, it was something you would NEVER see back east, and that is were I have lived my whole life until the past year. It was like a scene out of an old western movie. I did not mean it was bad.

There is another couple of guys (charros) who ride there saintly horses down the side of that same hwy to the local liquer store to get some beer. The horses tie to a palm tree while the guys get their beer. The horses are absolute SAINTS! I have seen them a lot, riding to, stopped at and riding home from the store with their cervesas.

It's just a bit of a culture shock to me.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Well, one of the people at my barn works for animal protective services. I have not seen her all week but when I got to the barn this morning she was there. She started a conversation about some horse they had just recently gotten in at her facility. Turns out, it was the same horse I saw on the flat bed. She sad the horse is in poor shape with scratches and sores everywhere and skinny. It is not friendly either, it could care less about human contact. She said that they are rehabbing him and that he'll be fine. He'll eventually be adopted to a good home. I am relieved to hear that he is ok though, and in good hands.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Glad to hear the horse is getting the care it deserves and it will find a safe new home!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma