The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It's irritating to me, but I would not make a fuss about my horse being stalled next to a cribber. Horses don't learn to crib from watching other horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Knopf View Post
    That's the question...would you knowingly stall your horse next to a cribber?

More to the story: horses go out all day, neighbor has cribbing collar on in stall, at night. Would you stall your non-cribbing horse next to that horse or ask to be moved?
    Having my horse stalled part time or full time beside a cribber would not bother me in the least. When I have owned cribbers my non-cribbing horses did not pick up the habit.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Move your old guy too! He might react like my old mare and kick out the side of the stall. She didn't hurt herself but she could have. Listen to the cribbing, even with a collar some cannot be controlled, and image listening to that all night.
    Luckily they're on different turnout schedules, so he'll only be in there with him during the evening feeding, thank goodness. Honestly, I'm not over-fond of that horse anyway, and this doesn't help. He also shakes his feed bucket.

Well, the young horse had never cribbed before, and started to after this horse moved in, but then he's one of those that's always into EVERYTHING. Let him out to graze while you clean his stall, and he's back in the barn pulling off everyone's leadrope and playing with their stall gates trying to get them to join him.

He's on a good work schedule and gets turnout, thank goodness, because otherwise he'd be a real pain.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would stall next to a cribber.
    Horses do not pick it up from one another.
    Plenty of reseach has gone into this. Do a search on this topic.

Currently stalled next to a horse that cribs and weaves...Quite frankly the weaving is more annoying than the cribbing to me....He cribs and chews mostly in TO and is literally eating the fence, but he is in individual TO away from my guy's group as he doesn't play well with others....

Never occured to me to ask to be moved as they seem to get along just fine...There is a full wall between them so they don't really interact and are only near each other at night anyway....
    Crayola Posse: Mulberry

I did the research and I would not be bothered. It doesn't spred. If you are bothered by cribbing its best for your mental health to not see it

My cribber and my non-cribber have lived next to each other for 12 years. The cribber still cribs, and the non-cribber still doesn't. So, yes, I would stall a horse next to a cribber.

Yes.

Default Yes

When I was boarding, my gelding was next to a cribber for 8+ years. The cribber moved to a new barn and a weaver moved in. My guy never picked up on either bad habit.
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org

I would have no objection to haveing any of my horses stabled next to a cribber.

I DO have one cribber, and it has never affected any of the other horses stabled next to, or turned out with, him.
    Last edited by Janet; Oct. 7, 2008 at 10:14 AM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

It's not a disease.Horses either crib or they don't.They don't "catch" it from another horse.
    mm

We have a cribber here and yes my horse (show horse) is next to him. Actually facing each other, if that makes sense. Mine is at the last stall at the end of barn. Don't believe this is a "learned" vice as many think. Usually caused from something, like ulcers or lack of hay and boredom. Usually happens at an early age and once they begin, well, then they continue.

I have a boarder that made the comment to me that she can't believe that I allow that horse to crib and it makes her mad that her mare is next to him. I just laugh and say if that were my only problem. She (boarder) got over it and we still put collar on the other fellow at night in stall but sometimes I walk in barn and hear that god awful noise and somehow he still manages to crib.

I think it bothers me more than the other horses. So yes, I would stall next to a cribber but yes it annoys me. But talk to the BO and see if maybe you can work something out.

My gelding was stalled next to a cribber for 2 years. He never cribbed and still doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Yes, I would stall my horse next to a cribber.
    I have stalled my horse next to a weaver and a cribber. He has not picked up either vice. The weaving and cribbing are vices - they are not contagious.

Quote Originally Posted by myrna View Post
    It's not a disease.Horses either crib or they don't.They don't "catch" it from another horse.
    That's true, but I would *not* stall next to one just because it annoys the heck out of me!
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

West of Mims, East of Oveido. If you figure it out, please let my mail carrier know.

Am really glad to hear that so many horses have not learned to crib from other horses.

While that's good for them, the veeeery simple truth is that they can and do. All the research in the world isn't going to help you if yours happens to be one that can and does. And there is no "test" that will tell. Same stressful conditions will have some horses acting out and others not.

So, while not in the current fashion, I will not expose my horses to the risk.

We'll hear from a lot of people who say cribbing doesn't matter. And it doesn't - to them. There are however a lot of people to whom it matters very much and there are barns which don't accept them at all.

Your horses, your call, but since you wanted to hear from all of us, here's my two cents.
    Visit the new guy's journey at http://www.OnAndOffTheTrack.blogspot.com

Jet has been stabled next to cribbers (at 2 different barns) since he was 3. He's 10 now. He's never picked up cribbing, nor have the horses on the other side of the cribbers.

I think if you are seeing many horses crib in one barn it is most likely due to their horse management practices (ie feed/turnout/stalls/stress).

So yes, I will stable next to cribbers.

While I've heard anecdotes to the contrary, I've never seen a horse learn cribbing from another horse. One of my horses shares an in/out with a cribber currently. (Both stalls open into a paddock - one horse is out all day, one out all night.) The other horse cribs horribly and does not wear a collar. He even cribs on my horse's stall door. My horse has yet to even lick the wood, let alone start cribbing.

My other horse has also been stabled with cribbers and wood chewers (and currently one that weaves) and has never picked up on the vices.

For what it's worth, mine did!!! Perhaps he was predisposed to it. I'll never know BUT what I do know is that within a very short period of time, he did become a bonafide cribber. He was a yearling at the time and was moved when I insisted on it but the habit was well set at that point. Scottie was born with a large cleft palate and as such could not wear a collar. He was euthanized at 20 and I will never again have a cribber next to one of mine.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~