The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dog Jacket Search Continues ~ Want To Support Our Industry In This Poor Economy

I've been looking online (Dover, State Line, Broken Horn, El Toro & Valley Vet) and can't seem to find a blanket / coat / jacket for my newbie pound puppy Jasmine. Dover has one possibility, but I'm not 100% sold and since we are in Southern Cal, it's going to last her lifetime, so I'd prefer to love it. She should be fully grown at about a year now, so no concerns of her outgrowing her wardrobe.

I'd much prefer to purchase her winter wear through a tack store and keep my support when I can within our industry.

Any and all suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks for your help everyone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6578_2x3.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	22663  
    "The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse" Lord Palmerston

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Schneiders has some. www.sstack.com

Horseloverz.com does too. My Viszla X loffffffs her Equiteric (ebay store for Horseloverz) that I got her last year. Keeping it CLEAN, OTOH, isn't fun. I'm hoping to get a better one this year that is slick finish on the outside... the INSIDE wears enough hair, the outside doesn't need to wear the other dogs' hair too...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Smartpak has several: http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...aspx?CATID=552 (And you can even get her a Halloween costume while you're at it... )

ETA: She's adorable!
    Proud member of the EDRF

This is my favorite dog coat for my hairless-but-hates-clothing dog.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Apparently you can’t set the bar too low for people to crawl underneath.

I have a Foggy Mountain Dog coat for my wimpy Weimaraner. It's been GREAT - easy to clean and keeps her warm. She gets all excited when I bring it out because she knows she's going somewhere!

Here's their website: http://www.dogcoat.com/ - Sylvie has a Nylon Turnout. They're just like horse blankets, right down to the hardware.
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

Second the Foggy Mountain recommendation--their coats are LOVELY, if expensive.

One of my coworkers recently bought a couple of these: http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CD.../4950/CDB250-S and they are REALLY nice for the money.

I think that she would look super cute in a Baker blanket

Smartpak.

Just got last year's Weatherbeeta Orican on clearance. The Smartpak brand fleece ones are phenomenally well made, too.

Great topic!

I'm also in the market for a dog blanket for my lab/ weim cross.

For those of you with experience what style of blankets stay on the best and leave as much of the barn at the barn as possible? (My dog loves to roll at the barn and it would be great if the dog blanket worked like the horse blanket and kept some of the barn dirt off the dog!)

This very horse related as especially in the winter when I can't just hose her off I would love to leave as much of the horse smell at the barn as possible!

The blanket must also move freely with the dog as she loves to "play" at the barn:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00187715LqlaAy

So, I'd love what you love and hate about blankets for an active dog that keep as much of the dirt at the barn as possible! Also as with the OP I'd love suggestions on where to get the best blankets!

I was not impressed with the weatherbeeta blankets on the "moving with the dog" angle. I tried one on the dog, and when she put her head down, the blanket came off her butt by 4-6 inches. I did not buy the blanket.

The Foggy Mountains are GREAT on fit and durability, but mine are lined with fleece and lots of the barn dirt wound up on the dog and on the blanket. I am not sure if you can get a smooth lining.

These seemed to fit the dog well, and are lined with a satin like material (just like a horse blanket.) I think that would be a good bet if you didn't want to bring the barn home.

I also use Fido Fleece or RC Pets polar fleece jackets under the heavier jackets in the winter. Both brands cover the belly, which makes me feel better (and the dogs are more willing to go outside, so I think they appreciate it as well.) They do get DIRTY, though...especially in the oiled indoor arena. Ick.

Your puppy is adorable, but if you live in Southern California, what in the world does she need clothes for???
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

My pup has this one and I LOVE it.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=3910

It's warm, lightweight, waterproof and most importantly he doesn't mind wearing it Had it over a year and it shows no sign of wear.

Thanks to all and thanks for the adorable compliments too! We're making big strides here, so please continue to add as you can. I didn't want to ask for too much help, but 4Martini came to my rescue and added what I wanted to. Info as to slippage, fitting, keeping the dirt where it originated from, etc.......

Thanks to you all, I have added a few more horse related web-sites to my favorites. I must have over 240 by now ..... GREAT for the industry!!!

Kementari: Just bought some adorable jammies yesterday

Pirateer: I'd love a Baker for her, but can no way afford one

Guin: The best way to explain the need is this. When there's a change in temperature, any living creature needs to adapt in one way or another. Your putting on a sweater, putting a sheet or blanket(s) on your horse or bringing in the plants before a nights frost. When a body is use to a short temperature range, you still have needs to take care of. When I lived in Hawaii and went to a ballgame at night in the winter, I brought a down coat, scarf and gloves. EVERYONE laughed at me .... until they realized the need and were very jealous of my foresight (and my warmth).

December’s average low is 46 and the record low is 26. Same for January, but the record low was just last year at 25 degrees, February's record low was also last year at 27. When Jasmine went to her first Horse Show in July, it was a cool and damp morning and she was shaking, so I had to put her tee-shirt on. That’s all I had at the time, as she was brand new to me and much smaller than Roxie was. Other dogs had anything from a tee, to a sweater, to a winter coat on. Gotta keep the pooch warm ya know! It also snows here, mostly in the mountains and 20 miles inland of the ocean and to the east. Don't forget too that it is not at all uncommon for it to snow during the HITS Tucson shows. So a coat for your dog is not a 7/24 in the winter, but there is a need, hence why I want the right one and why I say that it should last her lifetime.

So keep it coming and many thanks again to one and all, especially to your dogs that are the market research for this adventure.
    "The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse" Lord Palmerston

I was just looking at this site and found this Pessoa dog blanket.
    http://www.netequestrian.com/product...0&scId=&cgId=5
    Looks pretty good and the price is not bad either.

Anyone tried a Bucas?

This looks pretty good coveragewise and looks like it would not hold horse dirt (and covers most of her back and neck if she's rolling...)

http://www.cheshirehorse.com/Details...1&category=420

Are bucas horse blankets pretty good quality?

Thanks!

And the search continues. The sizing is what's really getting me. Jazz has long legs, a long back yet a narrow frame. So later this week we'll stop by Mary's Tack & Feed and do some sizing, though their winter stock hasn't come in yet. It'll give me a better idea.

Default weatherbeeta has some cheap ones.

my roxanne still has an original one from 4 years ago.
    i love the foggy mountain coats but if price is an issue i wouldn't recommend it for a growing pup. however, once she's done growing if you can convince one of your relatives to buy her one for the holidays or birthday, you will LOVE it!

definitely get something waterproof and either lined w/ fleece or w/ fill.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Oh I totally missed this thread!! I loooooooooooove the Polarshield blankets through Chicks Saddlery. As in, love love love love love love love. I tried two other brands.. more expensive ones, I think Rambo and something else similar? Polarshield kills them!! They are styled just like a horse blanket, gussets, bellyband and all.

My dog is ROUGH - always finds a friend to wrestle with or his Beagle nose takes him out into the bushes/thistles/etc and this blanket never moves an inch, has not torn and is slick and warm.

I bought two for him, and one each for my sister, aunt and parents' dog. It's invaluable to my parents for keeping burrs out of their poodle-x's hair. And it almost literally saved my aunt's Westie's life. He was walking in it last winter and was attacked by a rabid fox. Thankfully, the fox only attacked him on his body.. no damage to the blanket or the doggie! He'll be sporting the same one come this winter.

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CD.../5000/CDB250-S

My doggie doesn't model it well, but he's cute anyway

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11321645@N03/2922091349/

As a 5 lb puppy, my guy fit in the X-Small. My aunt's westie is in the Small. My 50 lb fire plug Beagle/Boxer/Pitbull and my parent's 22-lb sheep-like Poodle mix can wear either Small (slightly short in the back) or the Medium (slightly long on the sides). My sister's 50 lb black lab wears a Medium. Awesome awesome awesome.

Here are their relative sizes:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1132164...n/photostream/

Now if only I were partially as excited about a horse blanket I'd be in business.......

Dog coats are fine so long as your dog thinks he/she can move while wearing one I got my dog (a smooth collie) a waterproof turnout blanket-type coat last year... well, I guess I really got it for my husband. I love him dearly and he is great help with the horses, but he HATES to dry the dog off before coming inside if it's raining. I know, weird pet peeve. Anyway, I got my husband & dog a dog coat for Christmas last year, but our dog just stands frozen in place if you put it on him. You can. not. get. him. to. move. I'm going to donate it to the local disabled riding program for their fall tack sale. Maybe there is a dog somewhere who would like it...
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com