The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My good girl friend and I like to head to the bar after our lessons in our full riding gear stinking of horse and sweat.

A few weeks ago, when asked the same question (I was in full seats, field boots, and wearing a shirt with a horse logo, plus my Rolex ball cap)...my friend replied to the gent, "No, she's a fascist."

I think the guy was drunk enough that he wasn't even sure what a fascist is. But I couldn't stifle my giggles and felt sorry for the poor sap and admitted that yes, I rode horses.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrangeOne View Post
    A personal favorite is checking into horse show hotels. Generally I show up some time around 9 or 10, dirty, bleary eyed, in breeches and boots, with some kind of huge smear of something that I picked up giving the horse a bath or moving water buckets or who knows what. Naturally the desk clerks helpfully ask "oh, so are you here for the horse show?".

"No, there's a fetish convention up the road...rough night."

Keep waiting for it, but I am not so brave...
    Now that's funny.

Perhaps something like "wow, you really have an eye for the obvious..."

I get these sort of things at work all the time "hey, can I ask you a question?"

"Um, you just did."

I think people just don't know how to approach someone with an assumption, so it's easier to phrase it as a question. Kind of like

"are you expecting?" versus-

"when are you due.."

"Huh, I'm not pregnant"

DOH!

I live in Charleston (a very surprisingly non-horsey area). I usually hit the grocery store on the way home from the barn. I am usually in riding gear. I have had the usual "Do you ride horses?" questions (along with one fellow who really wanted to understand the point of those "patch things" on breeches.

My favorite though was one Sunday when I stopped at the Publix and a little girl noticed me. I kept seeing her following behind and staring and then running off. Once I made it to the produce aisle I heard footsteps behind me and an exasperated mom saying, "Well, you're just going to have to ask her!"

Finally, the girl came to ask about horses -- she just *knew* I rode because of my pants. I had my Ipod with pictures of Fisher on there, so she got to see him. She was curious that she had never heard of an Appendix QH but she had heard of both Quarter Horses and TB's. She was hillarious as she went through her register of horse related information.

I sometimes see her on Sunday afternoon and get grilled on the latest goings on with my boy and any questions she has come up with on horses (she can really stump you sometimes!). I'm not much of a kid person, but she is just adorable!
    When life gives you lemons. . .say &%^# you lemons! And throw those lemons back in life's face so that it will be afraid of you and won't try that crap again!

I once stopped at the Clinique counter of a department store to get make up after just coming from a long ride. My hair was plastered with sweat and I was covered in the usual horse grime. I felt a need to expalin to the sales person (since she and about 4 others were all staring) that I had just come from the barn. She said seriously, "oh really? I didn't notice" Yikes!

Also get men commenting on my "nice boots" which are paddocks and half chaps

Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    I think people just don't know how to approach someone with an assumption, so it's easier to phrase it as a question. Kind of like

"are you expecting?" versus-

"when are you due.."

"Huh, I'm not pregnant"

DOH!
    My cousin had that happen to her. She was NOT pleased.

I am trying not to giggle at work.

I don't care anymore what people think when I am fully dressed in riding clothes. I even go grocery shopping post riding since I am out and about. I have had people give me the eyeballs, but heck at Wal-mart in my area you see women wearing tanktops with no bra that should be wearing a bra. Also cigarettes tucked into shirts(women), childern in diapers in the carriage. So if they have a problem with my horse-slimed shirt, and britches they can stuff it.

I live in a rural area. Very horsey. Lots of dairies and cow/calf operations. Lots of real farms - some small like mine, others much larger.

I'm usually in Carharrts and dairy boots in the winter, and overalls and dairy boots in the summer. The local gas station is pretty busy with folks passing through - many of them city people.

I have gotten "looks" when I step out of my big truck and start pumping gas. I know I look awful compared to the coiffed, manicured people in their cars.

But I do clean up good, really. I have pictures to prove it.

Anyway - I often fill up on gas going to or from a fixture during hunting season, and of course the horse is in the trailer. I'll step out of the truck in my frock, stocktie, shined boots and lovely britches, and start pumping gas.

I get the "look" from the city people. Ok, I know I look a little out of place among the city people and the Carharrt clad farmers. Then they look at the horse trailer.

Here it comes....

"You got a horse in there?"

(not making fun of city people - I'm sure that for many of them, it's the closest they've been to any of the following: a farmer, a female farmer, a foxhunter, or a horse. Still, I hear that at least twice each season, and each time I know it's coming and it always make me smile. Then, I offer to open the side door and let them pet my horse if they want.)

Quote Originally Posted by In_ View Post
    Although I think it is - my area must not be very horsey - as i get horrible GLARES walking to and from my truck - three people have (at different times) mumbled "slut" under their breath as I walked by - in breeches and half-chaps! So - while I hate walking to my truck and back during the week - I get some sick, twisted pleasure from it on Sundays. Everyone else is in their fancy church clothing - dresses, heels, etc- and I come marching by in my horse gear. My question: Would God really approve of them sneering at someone like that for no reason?

I don't tend to get the "Do you ride horses?" because people are too horrified to talk to me. i have, however, gotten a few earnest "Ohh I like your footware!" from a few males. Go figure.
    Oh dear! Where are you located?

I did one time walk into Mickey Dee's and step up to the counter. Unless I am riding I refrain from wearing tights. And I happened to be in a pair of Cruel gril Jeans Ariat Ropers and a shirt with Pebbles and Dino that read "cowgirl" with the laso she had. Just a fmaily joke, my nickname was pebbles I had the red hair and destructive attitude to match. As I step to the counter to order. " May I help you...." I smile to the guy, tell him my order. And with the smirk only a guy could have, he looks right at my chest area and says " I LIKE YOUR BOOTS"
    Now normally yea, Boots cannot be Mixed with Boobs.. But He was hispanic and he had barely enough accent to make what he said questionable. My brother just Glared at him. I happened to laugh my buttocks off!

See I am the person who has a very synical mind.
    I have never had the oppertunity to say it, because thankfully I do live in horse city! Everyone looks, but they of course understand that I do indeed ride horses.
    But I think it would be funny to turn when asked the question and calmy reply.
    " No... my Husband and I decided to try something different" And take my food and run to the car before I laughed myself to death.
    Of course only if the person asking was adult.
    Now I am not married. But could you imagine the reaction!
    Zook Suit Riot- Mustang/Paint Gelding
    Proud member of the KELTON'S Crew
    CousinVinsky-Skinny Vinny JockeyClub/Alydar Grandson.Gelding Chestnut.
    CUnex2zdai- 2008 Buttermilk Buckskin Colt -ABHA/IBHA

From the sounds of this topic, someone could make a buck on shirts that say something like....

"I just came from the barn, and my horse though I looked (or smelled) fine"

I usually make some attempt at looking or smelling normal (baseball cap, body spray, quick de-hairing in the parking lot) then I get to the checkout and realize I've forgotten the horse grime under my fingernails.... which totally blows my attempt to look less like a classless grit who has no idea how bad she smells.
    "Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

I'm so annoyed when people look all surprised. Especially here in VA. I mean, I don't look at them and go, "Are you a member of the US power-eating team?" Or, "Are you a hooker or do you just dress like one?"

Can't ever figure out why people don't just let you be when you are wearing something other than what is in their closet. I pretty much just get my look at them and move along.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

[quote=Anyplace Farm;3563471]I'm so annoyed when people look all surprised. Especially here in VA. I mean, I don't look at them and go, "Are you a member of the US power-eating team?" Or, "Are you a hooker or do you just dress like one?"

Oh, how I wish I had the nerve to use these 2 comments. TOO FUNNY

Whats also fun is counting how many people stared at you. My friend and I got 21 once, the whole store. No Joke. And then when we leave we annouce, "For the ___#___ of people who stared, yes we DO ride horses." We get a lot of embarassed looks from that one. Ecpessially my dad.

I've had two situations where people have commented on my riding apparel.

One was during a polo tournament, for my university's team. I was sent to the store to buy flour to chalk the arena, and the register said, "Wow you smell bad!" My response was, "Excuse me?" To cover up his error he replied, "Umm, the flour . . . the flour smells bad." My friend and I laughed all the way back to the barn.

The other was in the grocery store, while I was wearing my full seat breeches. A little boy spotted them and said to his mother, "She must have ripped her pants bad, cause she has a patch on her butt like I have on my knee!" pointing to the patch over a hole in his jeans. His mother looked mortified that I heard, but all I could do was giggle.

My HJ trainer I first started with as a kid was once filling up the truck as we headed for a horse show. Truck, trailer, horses (stomping horses), trainer in boots and breeches, and up pulled a little car at the next pump that had a bag of golf clubs in the back seat. Perfectly attired for day on the greens golfer gets out and starts filling up while eying our rig and the trainer. We kids were just waiting for it. Finally, it came.

"Do you ride horses?"

Trainer looked from him to his car and back to him and said, without missing a beat, "Yes, I do. Do you play golf, or are they just car decorations?"

I got into a fender bender once on the way home from the barn. I had on breeches, paddock boots, half chaps, polo with horsie on it.

The other guy gets out of his car and says, "What, were you playing softball or something?"

I live in a horsey area so if I buy 10 pounds or more of carrots in one go I usually get some type of "you must have a lucky horse" from the checkers.

Then they ask me about him and I get the blank stare when I say he's a TB and we event... To a lot of people here there are two types of horses quarter horses or paints!

I love how friendly they are and they get excited when I tell them his grandfather ran the Kentucky Derby.

Thumbs down

Before you jump all over the non-horsey people. Maybe they want to strike up a horsey conversation and that would be the obvious first question to ask.

If you don't want to be bothered, then take off the half chaps, spurs and other things (that can come off ) before entering stores, restaurants etc.
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I had another occurrence today in Wal-Mart- Breeches, half chaps, t-shirt with ALL SORTS of boogers on it, Rolex hat plopped on my frizzy hair...

Someone walked past me, did a double take, turned around and walked up to and introduced herself as a fellow trainer at a nearby barn and we chatted for awhile. That was fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    Before you jump all over the non-horsey people. Maybe they want to strike up a horsey conversation and that would be the obvious first question to ask.

If you don't want to be bothered, then take off the half chaps, spurs and other things (that can come off ) before entering stores, restaurants etc.

Wow... I'm pretty sure we were all making light of the situation.

If you'll notice, most of us are saying "wouldn't it be funny?" and not "guess what I did the other day!"

Lighten up.