The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Generally when asked the "do you ride question" I smile, wink and say, "No, I wear this to make a fashion statement." I usually get a laugh, but aviod having to hear a random story about how they fell off a horse when they were in Jr. high.

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    Someone walked past me, did a double take, turned around and walked up to and introduced herself as a fellow trainer at a nearby barn and we chatted for awhile. That was fun!
    I've run into a horsey aquaintance in the grocery store when neither of us were in breeches and boots, did a double take and then said a bit to loudly, "Oh it's you I didn't recognize you in clothes!" That'll get you some looks...

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    Generally when asked the "do you ride question" I smile, wink and say, "No, I wear this to make a fashion statement." I usually get a laugh, but aviod having to hear a random story about how they fell off a horse when they were in Jr. high.
    TOO TRUE!

I've run into a horsey aquaintance in the grocery store when neither of us were in breeches and boots, did a double take and then said a bit to loudly, "Oh it's you I didn't recognize you in clothes!" That'll get you some looks...

Most service workers are so afraid of offending a customers or making them mad in any way--doesn't take much at all to have someone get pissy and complain--that they phrase everything as a polite question like "Do you ride?" or whatever else is polite and nice. This is b/c they want to make pleasant conversation and/or break up the boredom of their day with a real interaction or something other than "yes man" "yes sir" "thank you" blah blah blah.

Be nice. Save your silly comebacks. The clerks are trying be nice and or are are maybe a little interested. I've bagged groceries, and I can tell you that I've opened opened with a question like that before. I'm not an idiot. It is a sign that they are not totally braindead.

Get over your silly selves. If you give that snide remark and *laugh laugh* to yourself, then I hope you know that I'll be thinking "what a horsey b*tch" at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by freshman View Post
    Most service workers are so afraid of offending a customers or making them mad in any way--doesn't take much at all to have someone get pissy and complain--that they phrase everything as a polite question like "Do you ride?" or whatever else is polite and nice. This is b/c they want to make pleasant conversation and/or break up the boredom of their day with a real interaction or something other than "yes man" "yes sir" "thank you" blah blah blah.

Be nice. Save your silly comebacks. The clerks are trying be nice and or are are maybe a little interested. I've bagged groceries, and I can tell you that I've opened opened with a question like that before. I'm not an idiot. It is a sign that they are not totally braindead.

Get over your silly selves. If you give that snide remark and *laugh laugh* to yourself, then I hope you know that I'll be thinking "what a horsey b*tch" at the same time.
    *headdesk*

When I stop to get fuel, I rarely look at the pump number! So when I go inside to pay, I say, "it's the white truck with the horse trailer that just got diesel." The cashier will look out the window and say, "OK, pump #5. Would you like a car wash today?"

Now, my horses are good in the trailer, but I think going through a car wash MIGHT be asking a bit much out of them...LOL!
    Barbara www.customstockties.com
    Tulsa-QH; Schnickelfritz-Holsteiner; Atikus-Danish Warmblood; Buddy-QH/TB; Winston-Shire; Thomas-Percheron/TB; Mac-Belgian Draft, gone but never forgotten

try explaining your stench when getting into a Toronto Taxi at 8am after braiding at the Royal since 3am....then trying to scrub the stink off and look presentable and awake at work for 9....
    ~Proud founder of the "Addicted to Lessons" clique~
    ~Ribbon Ho~

One Saturday when I stopped by the place I worked for in Middleburg I happened to come from riding and was all sweaty, hair stuffed under hat, half chaps, etc. Well, my boss could have cared less and I was pulled into work stuff...even though that wasn't the intention. However, when I was leaving a touristy type definitely seemed excited to see a real horseperson...smiling really big at me, kind of in a creepy way like I should have known her or something. I was just a little creeped out and smiled politely at her and got away.

I live in a relatively non-horsey area so I get lots of looks when I wear riding attire into the grocery store. One day there was an elderly woman (not walking very well, kind of bent over) who is staring at me and I am thinking she thinks I am crazy...so I just smile and say hello. She responds "did you have a good ride today?" I said yes, it was a very good day, thank you. She said "I miss it so."

I swung by the grocery store to grab a bag of carrots for my trainer who was making horse treats with the camp kids. I'm wearing jeans and half chaps and a disgusting shirt as I carry the 7 lb bag to the register.

"Oh, are these for the horses?"

I wanted to be like, "nope, I was just a big hungry", but I didn't.

And to those complaining about this thread, it's all in good fun. I don't think [most] of the comments mentioned here that we'd have liked to say are snide or rude. I understand people are being polite when asking questions and I actually like the funny looks and questions I get- anything for an excuse to talk about horses!!

Have any of you ever encountered a horsey acquaintance who threw you by NOT being attired in sweat, barn clothes, horse/cat hair, etc.? I once bumped into a friend from the barn at the symphony, when both of us were nicely cleaned up and wearing nice dressy clothes. Honestly, it took both of us a minute of "you look familiar" looks to get it.

Default Isn't that just the best?

Quote Originally Posted by kb View Post
    I live in a relatively non-horsey area so I get lots of looks when I wear riding attire into the grocery store. One day there was an elderly woman (not walking very well, kind of bent over) who is staring at me and I am thinking she thinks I am crazy...so I just smile and say hello. She responds "did you have a good ride today?" I said yes, it was a very good day, thank you. She said "I miss it so."
    Really, isn't that just the best? I love when some people tell about thier past rides. I have met a couple people who did rodeo with my dad and they are so gracious in telling me stories that I would never ever hear.

From another forum:
    I've got 3 dogs.

I bought a large bag of Meaty Bites at Woolworths and was standing in line at the check-out.
    A woman behind me asked if I had a dog.
    On impulse, I told her that no, I was starting The Meaty Bites Diet again, although I probably shouldn't because I'd ended up in the hospital last time, but that I'd lost 25 kgs before I woke in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IV's in both arms.
    I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with Meaty Bites and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry & that the food is nutritionally complete so I was going to try it again.
    I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was by now enthralled with my story, particularly a guy who was behind her.
    Horrified, she asked if I'd ended up in the hospital in that condition because I had been poisoned by the food. I told her, no, it was because I'd been sitting in the middle of the road licking my arse and a car hit me.
    I thought one guy was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard as he staggered out the door.

Silly cow...why else would I buy dog food??http://lifestyleblock.co.nz/vforum/i..._smile_big.gif

Talking

One day I stopped at a gas station on the way home from the barn in full riding attire. I mean everything but the helmet. The guy at the register looked me up and down as I payed for my gas and as I was walking out all he said was, "NICE SPURS!" I ran out of there as fast as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by spirithorse22 View Post
    I raise you one dumb question...down in Fl, I walked into a gas station once wearing tights, full boots, spurs, polo shirt, and the girl behind the counter asked the obligatory 'do you ride horses?'...I said yes...she then asked DID YOU RIDE YOUR HORSE HERE?

Good lord. I really had to bite back the urge to say, 'Why yes, I tied him to the gas pump. Wanna see him?'

I mean, come on!?! This was a busy intersection with businesses everywhere...maybe if she was at a gas station on a dirt road....
    Funny thing, but we had a ranch foreman not too long ago who actually did ride his horse often to the gas station/store in the little town about 3 miles from our farm, and although he didn't tie her to the gas pump, he "parked" her (ground tied) in the parking lot. He got lots of looks (and questions) for that!
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    Also get men commenting on my "nice boots" which are paddocks and half chaps
    Yup. Got that a couple times, generally in the city...

I get the opposite response—I head straight to the barn from work, and prefer to change clothes at the barn because of the fascination my co-workers (men) have with me wearing the riding gear.

Anyway, I stop at the local Quik Pump, still in my work clothes, and purchase 4 bags of Starlight peppermint candies. The checkout girl grins and says "the ponies expecting their treats, are they?"
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

Quote Originally Posted by heatherny2 View Post
    Ummm. the locals where I ride don't even have a clue...I went to a McDonald's with my mom (not my choice) for lunch once, had my riding tights on, dirty shirt, hat, paddock boots, etc, and nobody even looked twice - now it's not a common thing to see people like that, it was more like, look at what these freaks are wearing now....
    Haha, same here! I've lived downtown for several years now, and no one thinks "oh, those are riding clothes," much less asked me. I'm much more likely to get a quick look, probably thinking "those pants and boots are ridiculous." So, I take off my half chaps and boots at the barn, throw on shoes, and wear athletic or sweatpants over my breeches for the ride home. Most people in my building probably think I just got back from some weird, stinky workout. It works, but I would love to not be embarrassed to walk into a store (or home!) in my riding clothes! How liberating!!

I was once trapped tending a yard sale when a woman in riding breeches and a shirt with a local farm's logo stopped by. I perked right up, but decided against asking her - it was just too depressing to be stuck there while she was on her way to ride!

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    Have any of you ever encountered a horsey acquaintance who threw you by NOT being attired in sweat, barn clothes, horse/cat hair, etc.? I once bumped into a friend from the barn at the symphony, when both of us were nicely cleaned up and wearing nice dressy clothes. Honestly, it took both of us a minute of "you look familiar" looks to get it.
    I'm worse. I consistently fail to recognize horsey acquaintances AT the barn if they are all gussied up for a show. Which is pretty pathetic, since they're in the same place riding the same horse, and the only thing different is their clothes are nicer.

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post

"are you expecting?" versus-

"when are you due.."

"Huh, I'm not pregnant"

DOH!
    LOL. I AM pregnant, and it's obvious enough now that people are asking me "when are you due or what are you having" versus "are you pregnant"?

And along the same lines of y'all snickering in advance over answering NO to the obvious "oh, do you ride?" question, I kinda can't wait for some random stranger- male or female- to come up and grab my big pregnant belly (which my friends with kids have all told me is bound to happen sooner or later). I plan to, without missing a beat, grab a boob or package right back. Is it wrong that I'm HOPING to be mauled by some stranger just so I can giggle myself silly in advance at the thought of it (like I"m doing right now)!? Yes yes I am sick and evil and i know it.

as for walking into any public place in my riding gear, I so don't care how I look or smell and if people have a problem with it I probably wouldn't even notice (let alone care). If someone does ask me if I ride, I usually smile and nod and leave it at that.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Honestly? No. I don't think it's ever occured to me to be a wiseass over what is an innocent question intended to be politely interested or just pass the time.

I remember being horseless and very lonely in that space in my heart when I couldn't afford them, or before I had them at all. I'm always happy to let peeps at the gas station pet their noses through the trailer's grill, to chat about them, or just say yes, I do have horses. I DO ride.