The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Have you ever wanted to...

do this?

So, I'm standing at the local Chinese take-out place, grabbing some dinner on the way home from a schooling show today.

I'm wearing breeches, DIRTY boots, half chaps, spurs, a belt with horsie-name plates on it. A polo embroidered with a horse and my farm name, which is covered in boogers, horse hair and other nasties. A horsie hat with my hair underneath plastered down. I'm sunburned and about to pass out.

Some kindly "inner-city" folk walk in, consult quietly under their breath, and one turns to me.

"Do you ride horses?"

Now, NORMALLY, I say yes, explain what I do, hand out my card if the situation applies, chat about my horses, show pics on my cell... whatever.

But today, this one time, I REALLY had to bite back the urge to say "No." and act all puzzled. I did say yes and explain I was at a show, but...

I almost peed myself laughing on the way home, thinking about doing this. Maybe I just had WAY too long of a day...

Pretty much whenever I'm in my breeches and boots and someone asks me if I ride, I have a very strong urge to say (completely straightfaced), "No; I just like how my a$$ looks in this." (You know the tailored sportsmans-- no one's rear looks good in puke green.

I did it once. I stopped by the retail store I was working at (during high school) in breeches and boots to pick up my paycheck, and this girl I worked with said, "Oooooh, do you ride horses?" Seeing as she was dumb as a tree, and I didn't like her on top of it, I replied, "No, I just like to wear the clothes."

Other than that one time, I've refrained. I think it in my head, but I never say it.

Ummm. the locals where I ride don't even have a clue...I went to a McDonald's with my mom (not my choice) for lunch once, had my riding tights on, dirty shirt, hat, paddock boots, etc, and nobody even looked twice - now it's not a common thing to see people like that, it was more like, look at what these freaks are wearing now....

Default How about a silent protest...

I showed up for a work meeting, they MADE us come to, even on our day off, driving 30 miles, and no pay... I showed up in paddock boots, full chaps, and a barn coat (read as torn, safety pin holding a huge rip together). After that they passed a rule you had to show up for meetings dressed like you were going to work, I bet they still talk about that....
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

...nobody turns their heads her - it's a very horsey area. Eau de cheval is normal.

I live in a small city.. The looks I get in my grocery store when I pop in for milk on the way home. Even though this city hosts the PA National Horse Show and if you drive 25 minutes you are in farm country....

I get asked things like "Do you ride a motorcycle?" Little girls ask me why I stink... Their faces are priceless when I say no I own a horse.. Then I usually get my ear talked off with questions.

My friend tells a great story about the time she stopped at the grocery store on the way to the barn, in full riding gear (breeches, boots, appropriately horsey vest covered in horsehair) to buy one bag of carrots. The checkout person looked at her and said, "Oh, do you have a dog?" WTF?????
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Haha, I've never done it, but I may just have to one time. It's funny, I've gotten so used to going places from the barn that I don't even realize what I must look like. Yesterday we had our first IHSA show and on the way back we were going to stop for food and one of our beginner riders asked if we could go to the drive through because she didn't want to go out in public in her riding clothes.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

I did it!!

I rode racehorses all summer, and would often stop at a gas station on my way home to buy something to drink before I collapsed.

So it's mid-July, I have been riding for the last 5 hours, and I am really not sure if I will survive the drive home or not. I'm in tights, paddock boots, half chaps, a polo shirt with a horse on it, and a basball hat with a horse on it. The woman at the checkout counter watches me walk in, walk over to the cooler, and walk to the counter, where I take out my wallet with a horse on it, and hand her my Dover platinum card. She says to me "Do you ride horses?" OBVIOUSLY! But I get this real confused look and say "no..." and took my gatorade and left.

I nearly peed my pants driving home from the laughter.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Default I've got one better!

I raise you one dumb question...down in Fl, I walked into a gas station once wearing tights, full boots, spurs, polo shirt, and the girl behind the counter asked the obligatory 'do you ride horses?'...I said yes...she then asked DID YOU RIDE YOUR HORSE HERE?

Good lord. I really had to bite back the urge to say, 'Why yes, I tied him to the gas pump. Wanna see him?'

I mean, come on!?! This was a busy intersection with businesses everywhere...maybe if she was at a gas station on a dirt road....
    Last edited by spirithorse22; Oct. 6, 2008 at 03:52 PM. Reason: cleaned up post
    True Bearing Equestrian
    St. Helena Island, SC

Although I think it is - my area must not be very horsey - as i get horrible GLARES walking to and from my truck - three people have (at different times) mumbled "slut" under their breath as I walked by - in breeches and half-chaps! So - while I hate walking to my truck and back during the week - I get some sick, twisted pleasure from it on Sundays. Everyone else is in their fancy church clothing - dresses, heels, etc- and I come marching by in my horse gear. My question: Would God really approve of them sneering at someone like that for no reason?

I don't tend to get the "Do you ride horses?" because people are too horrified to talk to me. i have, however, gotten a few earnest "Ohh I like your footware!" from a few males. Go figure.

I've never had a guy compliment my riding boots, but I have heard one landscaper ask another in Spanish why I was wearing breeches. All I could understand was part of the response, which included "montar" and "caballo."

Well goodness I hope I never meet any of you snobs when I'm trying to make new friends!

Usually when I see someone in breeches I say "what kind of riding do you do" or "where do you ride" wonderful way to meet new people and new barns.

Quote Originally Posted by In_ View Post
    I have, however, gotten a few earnest "Ohh I like your footware!" from a few males. Go figure.
    Men love a woman in paddock boots. Not sure why. But they do.

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    do this?

So, I'm standing at the local Chinese take-out place, grabbing some dinner on the way home from a schooling show today.

I'm wearing breeches, DIRTY boots, half chaps, spurs, a belt with horsie-name plates on it. A polo embroidered with a horse and my farm name, which is covered in boogers, horse hair and other nasties. A horsie hat with my hair underneath plastered down. I'm sunburned and about to pass out.

Some kindly "inner-city" folk walk in, consult quietly under their breath, and one turns to me.

"Do you ride horses?"

Now, NORMALLY, I say yes, explain what I do, hand out my card if the situation applies, chat about my horses, show pics on my cell... whatever.

But today, this one time, I REALLY had to bite back the urge to say "No." and act all puzzled. I did say yes and explain I was at a show, but...

I almost peed myself laughing on the way home, thinking about doing this. Maybe I just had WAY too long of a day...
    All I have to say is, "Here's your sign" ~ Bill Engvall

I've gotten plenty of "do you ride horses?" Right up there with "do you have a cat" as I check out at Walmart with litter, jumbo sack of catfood, and a few cans of Friskies. Now I've had the clerk ask, "What kind of cat do you have?" or somebody say, "What kind of horse do you ride?", and that's fine, but yes, I've thought of just saying no and looking puzzled at the first type of questions.

What REALLY gets me, though, is when I wear one of my favorite horse shirts that says, "On the seventh day, God went riding." Now, I can understand total strangers getting puzzled, but in groups who actually see me very regularly, 75% of the time in a horsey T-shirt/sweat shirt complete with pictures of horses, I still can't understand the number of people who have asked in all seriousness the first time they noticed that shirt, "What kind of motorcycle do you have?"

My favorite response: "Horses, not motorcycles. God created horses. People created motorcycles. I've noticed a big difference in workmanship between us and God."

Oh, I get the strangest looks I had a man in walmart ask me what kind of boots are those??? They were half chaps
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by grandprixjump View Post
    I showed up for a work meeting, they MADE us come to, even on our day off, driving 30 miles, and no pay... I showed up in paddock boots, full chaps, and a barn coat (read as torn, safety pin holding a huge rip together). After that they passed a rule you had to show up for meetings dressed like you were going to work, I bet they still talk about that....
    Yup - one jerk boss I had did the same thing - so I went in dirty and smelling and someone complained. I stated next time try having the metting on Sunday, as Saturday is my work on the farm day. But Sunday is church day so I told them if you require it on a weekend you get what you get.
    Sandy in Fla.

A personal favorite is checking into horse show hotels. Generally I show up some time around 9 or 10, dirty, bleary eyed, in breeches and boots, with some kind of huge smear of something that I picked up giving the horse a bath or moving water buckets or who knows what. Naturally the desk clerks helpfully ask "oh, so are you here for the horse show?".

"No, there's a fetish convention up the road...rough night."

Keep waiting for it, but I am not so brave...
    -Grace