The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Talk me out of this.

Someone I know has an 18 year old TB gelding that is in pretty rough shape. He is a big lanky grey, a gentleman, though a bit tired mentally and physically. He was a regular on the local circuit, then as often happens with good-minded horses, he got relegated to school horse. He does it willingly enough, though over the last 2 years I've kinda seen his eyes get dull and his demeanor has changed. His spark has faded.

He is now 3 legged lame, with an abscess, according to her vet. He's also dropped a significant amount of weight, probably due to being out 24/7 on grass with no other forage/grain.

I know this horse well and know that he is a quiet, good-natured boy, who has put in years of service. I think with a little TLC and one person caring for him he'd come around again. He could have some useful years left.

Long story but the owner is a good friend and will pretty much let me take him on indefinitely, if I want to try and rehab him. She has personal things going on and is trying to cut back on horses.

I have a lot of time on my hands, a boatload of good grain and supplements left from Dan, plus all the knowledge I gained in caring for him.

My head says I could be headed for heartbreak... but I can't help and think of what this horse *used* to be.... and be a little hopeful that I can return him to some semblance of that. If nothing else, I can give him the attention and love he has earned over the years, but never had...

Thoughts?
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Listen to your HEART, not your head.

I know you feel like you're on the rebound, (and admittedly, you ARE) but I can almost see him gleaming with good health and his very own person just in your words...

The economy sucks, I won't say it's not bad advice to tell ANYONE to get a horse. Or to take on one with potentially expensive needs...

But if you *can*... if you're in a place where you *could*...

<shrugs> You didn't really think we were going to talk you out of it, did you?
    Last edited by pintopiaffe; Oct. 4, 2008 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typos
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Default I'm hearing the call of the enablers.......

I'm a sucker for greys... I say go get him.. with the heatpack trick for abcesses and the grain and stuff you have left over... You've alreadly got *some* of the expense taken care of. Sounds like a situation that could be good for both of you.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Same here...and I'm a sucker for grey TB's. Personally, these kind of situations are the most rewarding.

I took in one 3 months ago. Much younger, but probably 200lbs underweight and very mistrusting. Definitely had been mistreated in the past. He was a mess chiropractically and upside down. He is obviously still on his way to doing better, but he is coming along nicely now. Only took two chiro treatments and he is already much better.

If you have the time and resources, give the boy his own special person

It sounds like you guys might need each other...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

You know, the other NICE thing about him is the lack of pressure.

No need to really DO anything. Nothing to be proven, nothing to 'train.'

Just someone to be loved upon.

What a wonderous need.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    So when does he arrive?
    LOL, my mom just said, ok so can we go get him next weekend?

I am *hoping* it is JUST an abscess, but will have my farrier look at him this week to see what his thoughts are.

This horse is at a point where... life could get a whole lot better, or a whole lot worse, really quick.

We'll be waiting.... impatiently... for pics
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    You know, the other NICE thing about him is the lack of pressure.

No need to really DO anything. Nothing to be proven, nothing to 'train.'

Just someone to be loved upon.

What a wonderous need.
    PP, that is exactly right. Almost seems too simple.

He just needs love, and attention. I feel like I kind of need to GIVE that right now. And if in six months he is ridable again, even just for some light hacking, well that would be a bonus.
    Last edited by FlashGordon; Oct. 4, 2008 at 11:21 PM.

Sooo... if it gets a whole lot worse... is caring for an oldster, making his last days comfortable and full of love... any harder than loosing a young one suddenly?

In my experience, it isn't.

Of COURSE I grieved. But it is very, very different, the passing of a life that was full and long and one that touched many others. Sad, but not the same tearing-out-of-my-guts pain.

I suspect you're already guarding your heart against the eventuality. If you go into it, eyes open, you really will survive it. Much, much better than Dan.

Really, trust me on this. Five years in two weeks.

Take him, but make sure your friend signs him over to you... many a friendship have disintegrated in situations like this... you fix up old Dobbin and previous owner remembers how wonderful he was... wants Dobbin back and you are left with a hole in your heart...

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    Sooo... if it gets a whole lot worse... is caring for an oldster, making his last days comfortable and full of love... any harder than loosing a young one suddenly?

In my experience, it isn't.

Of COURSE I grieved. But it is very, very different, the passing of a life that was full and long and one that touched many others. Sad, but not the same tearing-out-of-my-guts pain.

I suspect you're already guarding your heart against the eventuality. If you go into it, eyes open, you really will survive it. Much, much better than Dan.

Really, trust me on this. Five years in two weeks.
    Oh PP you are a wise soul. I am very much thinking "what if I cannot fix him" and the inevitable comes along....

But figuring, even if I can make his last portion of life comfortable, maybe that is a good thing. I'm trying not to have too many expectations, and just think in terms of today, and maybe tomorrow, but not next week... or next month... or next year.

I know this horse has a good brain, and a good heart, and has spent many years doing his job. He deserves a little dignity and the chance to recover.

Sakura that is good advice and I will heed it, thank you.

be sure she signs a bill of sale, for $1.00..

and then call me if you have any questions about how to rehab an older gentleman!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Smile

maybe his friend Lopez can join him on the trailer..... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    be sure she signs a bill of sale, for $1.00..

and then call me if you have any questions about how to rehab an older gentleman!
    Oh, you can be sure, you will be my first call, so I can get a blueprint...

Quote Originally Posted by AllyandPete View Post
    maybe his friend Lopez can join him on the trailer..... :-)
    A&P, DO IT! Lopez wants to be your horse.

Take him. Helping him heal will help heal your heart. You can't help but help him, even if it is making his last days comfortable, and letting him know that he is cared for.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Talk you out of it?? You came to this crowd looking for a talk-out-of?

Good luck with it - I think checking with your farrier is a great move - you're being sensible, and this is a highly charged emotion time for you right now. I will say, it sounds like a good fit.

It sounds like you are exactly what each other needs to heal
    Go get him and enjoy life with horses again!
    Y'all ain't right!