The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OMG Shopping Moment at TSC

Forgive me, folks, I have never used the term "OMG," but my mind can't come up with a better word right now!

Just went to TSC to grab some mane bands and a water bucket. For some reason our TSC carries a small supply of English tack and horse stuff, despite this being western world. Actually, they've been gradually clearancing it all out since I've been here (2 yrs), but the one other English rider in town always manages to grab the good stuff first. Well, today I hit the jackpot (though not really tack). I restrained myself, but came up with:

5 pairs of Dublin Easy Care Half Chaps. Reg $30, for $3 each
    Weatherbeeta "Fleece Range" Cooler. Reg $68, for $13.50
    Weatherbeeta "Mesh Range" Fly Sheet. Reg $72, for $14.39 (they had several, but I just got one- I'm proud of my self-control)
    White Roma Square Pad. Reg $20 for $10 (nothing too amazing, but I did need a new white pad!)
    5 sample size bottles of Purple Power Shampoo (my favorite) for $.33 each... I could have gotten the whole bucket, but I figure there's other folks in town with white horses!

For some reason the children's sizes of the chaps were $7, but I made myself pass them up. Next to the $3 chaps, $7 felt a bit pricey. On the way out, I noticed the entire display of large horse posters marked down to $.10 each. If I'd had a few dollar bills, I would have bought the lot (can you imagine how many kids would be thrilled??), but I didn't want to swipe the credit card again for a tiny amount. I'll probably regret it, and I see myself maybe going back for them tomorrow.

I feel like I've just been at a really great garage sale!! I had to brag!
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Default I think I can best that!

I was at a Goodwill thrift store today and I found a pair of Tailored Sportsmen breeches that fit me perfectly--never been worn, tags still on--in the clearance section.... The cost--seventy-five cents!!!! Yes, that's right folks....

I also managed to get a brand new pair of Brits clogs for $11.00 and change at a local dry goods store on closeout, and a pair of Muck Boot Daily Shoes (the green ones) at a local tack shop in the closeout section for $23.00....

"Somebody up there likes me...."!

Pinch me! Wait, on second thought--I just want to enjoy feeling lucky for a while....

Has anyone else out there gotten lucky lately too????
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

No luck here, but congrats!

Oh you lucky ducks! You guys hit the jackpot!! What town was this in?
    I had a mixed bag of luck bought 2 bags of grain 1st bag moldy and sour, the 2nd had bugs in it. Boy was I PISSED!!!!!!!!
    But had a great ride on my mare, so some what made up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    I was at a Goodwill thrift store today and I found a pair of Tailored Sportsmen breeches that fit me perfectly--never been worn, tags still on--in the clearance section.... The cost--seventy-five cents!!!! Yes, that's right folks....
    It wasn't the one at Rohrerstown Rd was it? If so, you're lucky you beat me to them I poke around in there from time to time hoping for such luck!

A lot of my best deals have been from public/estate auctions. I go if I see tack on the list in the paper, often not very many horse people show up and no one else has a clue what the stuff is worth.

I'm surely not often as lucky as the other guys, but I got some hurricane wind and rain in my barn blowing in an unusual direction and didn't get my door closed and I just had a new feed delivery and lost about half of it, mostly just hay cubes but at $12 a bag I was sick. I lost at least half of my order to mold. Believe it or not, the beet pulp paper bags held up better than the hay cube bags.

It went like this, almost out of everything, new order delivered, the rain blew into my barn and got almost everything wet, really wet, the next day I arrived to find it. I never had the rain come in so hard.

But I see that you're from ND and I've been there twice visiting the Nokota Horse Conservancy, I have 3 Nokota horses. I love them to pieces.

I also love TSC but I don't come close to those kind of deals. We have a lot of English riders around South Eastern PA but there's enough Western riders that everything sells.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfatbay2002 View Post
    Oh you lucky ducks! You guys hit the jackpot!! What town was this in?
    I had a mixed bag of luck bought 2 bags of grain 1st bag moldy and sour, the 2nd had bugs in it. Boy was I PISSED!!!!!!!!
    But had a great ride on my mare, so some what made up for it.

OMG that is great! Nothing better than a found treasure.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Those are some great deals! Lucky!! I was in my TSC 2 days ago and nothing. Bought some chain that I needed but at regular price. I always cruise through the horse supplies but no luck. Poor me.

Default i'm just envious b/c you have a TSC near you that you can shop at.

they're building one near our barn and i just cannot wait for it to open.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    Has anyone else out there gotten lucky lately too????
    [Post deleted in the interests of maintaining PG status of this thread - use your imagination - it was very funny and definitely TMI ]

TSC is a grat place to find little horsey gifts a Christmas. Really good prices right after the holiday!

That's fantastic ! Mind sending some of that luck my way ?

RR... Too funny!!!

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

I once found a Courbette close contact saddle in nearly new condition at Goodwill. I snapped it up for $37.50 and resold it on ebay for around $250 (and the person who bought it was thrilled to get it at that price!). My other find at Goodwill was a nice pair of Ariat paddock boots - thought they might fit my granddaughter but since they didn't, I put them on ebay also. Paid $2.50 and sold for over $50. Luv shopping at Goodwill!!!!

Years ago I found a beautiful (and nearly new) sheepskin saddle pad that they thought was a bath mat. Paid ~$2 for it.

man, my luck really sucks - I stopped in at the local Salvation Army tonight. As I walked in the door, my first thought was "wouldn't it be hilarious if I found something valuable and horsey, like those 75 cent TSs?"
    So what do I find? A pair of very lightly used Ariat - shoes?? (I don't think they were meant to be ridden in). $6.99. Except, they were half a size to small. sigh.
    "I gave my life to become the person I am right now. Was it worth it?”

TSC ? - The Shopping Channel - Naah, I know its not that but that's what I thought at first.

I've found some excellent bargains at Tractor Supply, but you have to hit them at just the right time.

I'd been salivating over the Fat Baby boots from Ariat for just about forver, but I wasn't willing to spend the big bucks for them.

I was in TSC getting horse feed about a month ago, and they had them on sale for $16.00!!!

There were only a few pairs left (not a surprise for that price), and one of them was in my size. Whoo hooo!!!

I found some leather riding boots at my local Goodwill for $3.50. Unfortunately, the original owner hadn't kept them oiled, so about a year after I got them, they literally fell apart.

I'm getting into hunting, so needed a hunt coat. I found a lovely poly/wool blend on sale for $75.00. It's a little big and the sleeves need to be shortened, but for that price I couldn't pass it up.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I would have used "OMG" too Lucky you! It's great finding tack shop bargains. I did that once...it was the last day of a tack store's going out of business sale. I was getting brand named tack and apparel for maybe 1/4 of the original price. I bought things I didn't even need just to buy them. I bought Stubben pony tack just because it was cheap. I've never owned a pony

I once got a pair of Ariat Heritage paddock boots at TSC for $15. There were a bunch of boxes in a cart by the register, and I checked them out half-heartedly, figuring they would either be huge or teeny sizes. I spotted a size seven and dug it out, still telling myself that I'd open the box and find that the sizes were mismarked, or that it was a different model--nope! Size 7, black zippers!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

When TSC clearances stuff out, they want it off the shelf and out of the store.
    "Have a Coke and a Smile"