The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need PPE vet in Santa Rosa, CA and ?? about insurance for shipping

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, so to appease the gods of horse purchasing, lets just say this is a general question thread.

I'm looking for a good vet to do a PPE in or near Santa Rosa, CA. I've always tried to use a different vet than the owner uses, but has anyone used the same vet? How did it work out?

And about insurance...I'm thinking it's a good idea to insure for the shipping trip (over 2000 mi.) I may or may not be using a commercial shipper; the horse also might hitch a ride with someone going my way. Do people insure just for the trip? Any tips for someone who hasn't ever purchased insurance before? Recommendations for who to use?

I used Dr. Kaufman at http://www.redwoodequine.com. He was well known to the seller, but they use a lot of vets, and he had not seen the horse in question before. He was on a list of suggestions from the seller, and he was also on a list from my regular veterinarian.

I thought his veterinary work was very good, and he did digital x-rays on the spot, which was great. I liked him and his approach. He does a lot of prepurchase work. On the downside, he cost me more than I expected and even though I called dozens of times I never succeeded in getting an itemized bill (they required a Visa or MC). They also told me they would send a CD of the x-rays, but I haven't gotten that yet either.

I would use him again once I got him to send the $%^# paperwork.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

As far as insurance goes, you likely will have difficulty finding a carrier who will be willing to write a short-term policy just for shipping. However, if you get a regular annual policy, it will cover the horse anywhere in the U.S. and Canada, including while being shipped.

Thanks, poltroon, for the mixed review of Redwood. Good to know about the paperwork stuff.

And Zella, I had wondered if you even could get coverage simply for hauling. Thanks for the heads up.

We are talking about a relatively inexpensive horse here (under 5K) but I'm just trying to cover my a$$ in case of an injury or colic or something.

Any recommendations for insurance carriers?

I've used cheval insurance and like them. They are efficient with good service, and very competitive rates. www.chevalinsurance.com
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I've always had great experiences with Dr. Horrell at Canyon Large Animal in Cotati. 792-4335.

be careful there is a lady in that area that advertises great horses all under $5,000 (you know that too good to be true sale, sayig subject of divorce etc)and people send money and the horse never gets on the van...she knows what she is doing and has all kinds of problems out there.....you may want to do some things to be sure this does not happen to you. She routinely targets equine and dreamhorse

just an fyi

donkey, thanks for the heads up.

This horse was on CANTER. The owner is a breeder of race horses & hunters. No mention of a divorce; the horse has no training beyond the track, she just couldn't run.

Does that sound like the woman you're talking about? Do you know a name? You can PM if you'd like.

Bumpity-bump.

This process is starting to get a little stressful! Trying to find a vet seems a little daunting. And while I feel like donkeyman's scammer lady is not the person I'm dealing with, it's starting to make me nervous.

What sorts of things do you do to check out the seller? Her website looks legit, and I've googled her and the farm name which has turned up nothing. (I think that's a good thing!) I'll be buying this horse based on pics and videos; I can't really make the trip out to see her in person.

Do you pay up front? I can't imagine a seller would put a horse on a van for a 2000+ mile trip and not get paid first. How can you be sure that the horse you paid for actually gets on the truck?

Any other tips for buying long distance and basically sight unseen?

I've never bought a horse sight unseen long distance, but I would say it's not quite the same as just random stranger, because CANTER has presumably had some positive contact with this person, and she's listed multiple horses there (if I'm finding the right seller).

Good luck!
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I think that the seller donkeyman is referring to is in So. CA. If you are starting to get weird vibes, I'm sure that some COTHer in the area could check it out for you.

I have bought a couple of horses very long distance, and sold some. You do have to pay up front. If you don't do wire transfer, the seller will wait for your check to clear so if you are trying to catch a ride, be prepared. If you can't find a PPE vet on short notice, maybe the seller can haul the horse to UC Davis for you.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I work in SR and would be happy to help out if you need it.

We have used Dr.Robert Steere, Sonoma Marin vet, Dr.Sandy Schuler, and Dr. Jamie Kerr with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    I used Dr. Kaufman at http://www.redwoodequine.com. He was well known to the seller, but they use a lot of vets, and he had not seen the horse in question before. He was on a list of suggestions from the seller, and he was also on a list from my regular veterinarian.
    I had the absolute worst experience with Dr. Kaufman, so bad as a matter of fact, that I considered suing him for negligence with a PPE I used him for. He dismissed a legitimate concern I had with a horse I was buying, recommended I xray EVERYTHING BUT the knee I was concerned about, and it turned out the horse after suffering a suspensory tear (a re-injury of that leg) that the knee in question had a HUGE chip in it (the p3 was in 2 peices).

And yes, turned out he did a lot of work with the person I bought the horse from.

It was the worst year of my life.

I now take all my horses to UC Davis for PPE exams, a 100% unbiased opinion.

Thanks, everyone!

Clint, I'm not getting weird vibes at all. I've only talked to the owner once, but so far I feel very comfortable with her. She's very low-key and not pushy at all. Kind of like, 'if you want her, fine, if not, whatever.' I think I'm just getting jittery waiting for her to get back in town so we can talk more and make a deal. Wednesday is taking forever to get here! I've been eyeballing this horse for a long time and now that it's becoming more of a reality, I'm getting antsy.

Dressage-ryder, thanks so much for the offer! How nice of you. I'll definitely let you know if I need any help. I love that COTHers are so willing to help out.

And Perfect Pony, that sounds like a horrendous experience! I think after hearing that, and the so-so review from poltroon, I'll be skipping Kaufman.

Great responses, people, keep 'em coming!

I'll echo the votes for Dr. Steere and Dr. Horrell based on firends' experiences with them. They have good reputations here.
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

Dr. Steere and Dr. Kerr (who is one of the head vets for the Tevis Cup, when he is not riding it) were on the list from my vet, but Dr. Kerr was out because he had been the regular vet for my mare.

Are there any how-to threads on buying long distance/not in person? I've tried a search but it's not working too well. Or any other websites that cover this sort of topic?

I'm starting to think of all sorts of questions that I'm sure have been asked and answered already.

Anyone hear of Dr. Wood?

I can't find him in the AAEP list.

Hi, I'm a long-time resident of Santa Rosa.

My #1, by far, for a PPE is Jamie Kerr (707-795-1701). He's my regular vet and he's very good. He takes lots of time and is great about explaining things and talking to you as he goes. He has digital radiograph equipment and is very thorough with looking at xrays. Jamie's busy, but call Dee Dee at his office and tell her I referred you (Katie Moore).

Marc Horrell has done several PPEs here and has a really good reputation for them. One small gripe --he was here a month ago for a PPE, and he refused to take xrays because I don't have a level cement pad. WTF? We called Jamie Kerr out to do the xrays and finish that part of the PPE.

I really like Steve Wood at Cotati Large Animal Hospital, and others do too, but I am not sure how he is with PPEs. I would call in Kerr or Horrell first as they are focused exclusively on horses, and Wood's practice is a general farm practice.

Another vet you could try is Grant Miller. (707-763-1222). I don't have PPE experience with him, but he's well respected and very savvy for a relatively new vet.

If you call Kaufman, watch out --- he's VERY pricey.

If I can help you in any way, feel free to email me at watermarkfarm1@yahoo.com I know lots of people in the area and might even know the seller, or could ask around to make sure she's legit.

Katie

Thanks, Katie. I sent you an e-mail.