The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Who to breed her to?

I have a 4 y/o Oldenburg/Holsteiner mare named Emma who I am considering breeding next year. I've looked at TONS of stallions and have successfully narrowed it down to a few, but I'm still not sure. My intentions are to breed an all-around sporthorse. I have bred several mares in the past with decent results. This mare herself, although just started recently undersaddle, seems to be a prospect for everything. She could go into hunters, dressage, or jumpers.

A little info on her--

15.2 bay mare, four white socks & blaze, Oldenburg/Holsteiner

Dam - Printemps

Sire - Normand
    -Successful Grand Prix stallion

She has not yet been to a trial, but will be going soon to get approved as an Oldenburg. Here is her picture at age 4. Her legs look a little funny there, but its partly because of the way she was stood up and the slant of the ground she was standing on. Her pasterns are not quite as upright as they appear there.
    Emma has been free jumped up to 4' with ability to go higher and has just recently been started under saddle. She has a great attitude and is an extremely fast learner.

So far, I have a potential list of four stallions that include Sinatra Song, Starlight, Apiro, and Cunningham. From those, I cannot decide which would best suit her. I'm going to have to make a decision eventually what primary discipline I want to shoot for, but at this point, I just don't know what that is.

Any suggestions/comments/ideas?

Is registry an issue?
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

No, registry is not an issue.

The discipline you decide to pursue with the foal could make a big difference, since so many stallions specialize. However, she's a very attractive mare. Perhaps a stallion could add more depth in her body produces taller, since she's not very tall. The stallions you've mentioned vary alot in type. Apiro is probably more multi-discipline than Cunningham or Starlight, but is doing hunters and aiming for jumpers I believe. She is colored and marked like him! Good luck!
    PennyG

She has a helluva pedigree...she should be able to jump with that pedigree. If I were you I would definetly shoot that direction - either hunters or jumpers.

Balou Du Rouet seems to be throwing all arounders and he would compliment her.

I would love to say Contendro but she is not the right type for him.

Another possibilty is Pablo - he does all arounders but not sure you would get much height. (that would also double up the Pilot in her pedigree)

A couple others to consider are:

Escudo I or II ( II is here in the states and you can get fresh semen)
    ROC USA
    Sir Caletto might be really cool as you double on Caletto blood then top and bottom.

GL!! She looks like she is going to be very nice.

I'd be careful about doubling up on the Pilot blood - I heard it can be a little spicy Though Apiro would be a nice type with her, as would Cunningham (and I really like how the Cassini blood matches with the French blood & Carentino..) I've seen a few gorgeous Sinartra Song foals, so typey and moved very nicely, with great hind-ends. Sir Caletto is also worth looking into...

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    I'd be careful about doubling up on the Pilot blood - I heard it can be a little spicy Though Apiro would be a nice type with her, as would Cunningham (and I really like how the Cassini blood matches with the French blood & Carentino..) I've seen a few gorgeous Sinartra Song foals, so typey and moved very nicely, with great hind-ends. Sir Caletto is also worth looking into...

agreed with the double up on Pilot - could be very spicy.

I would second Roc USA.

If you want something that could maybe do hunters or jumpers, he is the one. I bred him to my hunter and the resulting colt looks to be going in that direction. He has a canter to die for and I am telling you his temperament is amazing. Roc's sire is Idocus, so you have some dressage blood in their as well!

Good Luck!

My mare is 15.3 and the colt is easily going to be over 16.2! (she was a maiden)

I saw some nice Sir Caletto's as well. They are very "careful" jumpers, so if your mare is super careful, I might go with a different stallion! ( I love him, but my mare is careful to a fault, so it wouldn't be a good match for her.)

I second Escudo II.

I love love love him Super sweet boy as well.

Apiro might be interested as well though.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Goodtimes is very well thought of as an 'all arounder' type stallion. He is not very tall however, and only available frozen, so that may knock him out of the running.

Pretty mare, good luck with her!!

My friend bred her Calido I mare to Waldaire to get a multi-talented foal with potential to compete in hunters, jumpers and/or dressage. She is thrilled with the results (she repeated the breeding she was so happy with the first one.) and especially loves the sweet nature of the foals.
    http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?z=I03bdP&d=well+maid
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Quote Originally Posted by not again View Post
    My friend bred her Calido I mare to Waldaire to get a multi-talented foal with potential to compete in hunters, jumpers and/or dressage. She is thrilled with the results (she repeated the breeding she was so happy with the first one.) and especially loves the sweet nature of the foals.
    http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?z=I03bdP&d=well+maid
    I had 2 Waldaire fillies this year. Both favored the dam for type though were both an improvement on the mare in terms of butt and elasticity.
    One is out of a 15.3H more "dressage built" mare......filly is a dressage type with higher set on neck and knee/hock action; mature to approx. 16.2H. Quiet mare/quiet filly.
    The other is also out of a 15.3H "hunter/jumper" type mare...filly is more hunter type with flatter action and lower set on neck than the first one. The little bugger has also jumped the pasture fence 3 times pre weaning....should also mature to about 16.2H. Higher strung mare/ quiet but BOLD bugger for a filly.

Goodtimes is a super all around stallion. He is 16-1 so he is not likely to make 17 hand horses.

Navarone (Jus de Pomme x Armstrong) has been super all around stallion produced dressage and jumping horses. He has several offspring showing at Grand Prix jumping now and many starting in dressage. He has competed to I-1 and schooling GP now. Super characters on the offspring too. He is 16-2. He is KWPN Dutch approved and was just approved this year Oldenburg GOV.

Our new stallion Schroeder (Sandro Hit x Escudo I) is #4 in the 4 year old Materiale classes this year with the USDF. He is 16-3 and growing and his first foals doing very well in hand this year too. He has had good jumping and dressage scores with both top dressage breeding from Sandro Hit and top jumping blood from Escudo I. We expect him to throw all around too and he has been so easy to show this year too.

Kathy
    www.majesticgaits.com
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

Default Ironworks stallions

I know of a mare named Emma, too, and she crossed beautifully with Ironman!! He has children in everything, from hunters, jumpers, eventing, and dressage. He moves great and definitely passes it onto his kids. His temperment is superb for a stallion and his kids are incredibly sweet (and social).

Another possibility is Titulus, a Trakehner stallion. He also has great movement and temperment and has the ability to be a Gran Prix jumper.

See ironmanonline.com for more information on both. On there also is the up-and-coming stallion Ironrule by Ironman. He's just started under saddle and he is making it look effortless!! (He's only 3). He's another that has the movement to do hunters but the jump to do Gran Prix's. Nancy is doing a handful of breedings next year, but I can't wait to see his kids!!
    Noteworthy: worthy of notice or attention; notable; remarkable. —Synonyms: distinguished, outstanding, significant. AKA Ike (aka Hurricane Mike).

Cunningham or Ironman seems like a wonderful cross. With Escudo II you would probably get something really small which isn't that marketable.
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.