The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default First cubbing last night - great time w/ my Saddlebred!

I went out with the Moingona Hunt for the very first time last night for their last evening of cubbing. I took my 5 year old, never done anything outside besides ride in an outdoor arena Saddlebred gelding, who just came home from his first full show season.

He was a champ and we had a blast! Nothing fazes this guy. Hounds were sniffing his hind legs, his new buddy "Secret" galloped abreast, and a bobcat ran out in front of him. We did gate group, as I wanted to be careful with him and take things slow, and he was a trooper. He made me very, very proud and was an excellent ambassador for Saddlebreds.

I am going to join and was welcomed very warmly by a few people I already knew and many who I'd never met before last night. They are a great, warm, welcoming group and I can't wait to get out and do more. The opening hunt is on Saturday and I can hardly wait!

It's great to hear another Saddlebred success story!!
    Proud Member of the League of Weenie Eventers
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

Default beauty is as beauty does

sure there are "hunt" horse breeds, those that more often than not work when in the field, leading it, or whipping in. but most any can do it well. any horse that gives you reliable hunting is a great one! the one pictured in my profile hunted 10 years and never lost a shoe, only to be done in by arthritis. I have not seen another TWH/Clyde cross since.

before you know it a great horse is mostly on auto pilot, knowing what to do, letting you enjoy the hounds working the game rather than managing the horse.
    Last edited by armandh; Oct. 4, 2008 at 09:21 AM.
    more hay, less grain

Default Here's to Saddlebreds!

Had a Saddlebred jumper years ago, he was the best. Also hunted my 3 gaited mare. She'd never jumped a fence before but I wanted to go with friends. She was an under two mare (about 15H). Jumped everything like a seasoned horse.Saddlebreds are great, very under rated horses outside of their world.
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

Sounds like fun! I'm hoping to go on my second hunt this week. I have a Morgan mare, and though she's 15.2 she was short legged compared to most of the horses in the hilltopper group the first time I went out - with the exception of two ponies. I found it more comfortable to keep her in a slow canter when others were trotting, otherwise I had to post like crazy!

I love Saddlebreds! Have a friend who does dressage with hers, and he is really lovely.

We went out today - missed the opening yesterday (technical difficulties!) but went today. It was gorgeous, if a little warm, but we had a great time. Much bigger group. We're definitely hooked!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilykoi View Post
    Had a Saddlebred jumper years ago, he was the best. Also hunted my 3 gaited mare. She'd never jumped a fence before but I wanted to go with friends. She was an under two mare (about 15H). Jumped everything like a seasoned horse.Saddlebreds are great, very under rated horses outside of their world.
    I really agree with you that ASB's are very under-rated. My great-great-grandfather made a living breeding them, before they really had a name and an official studbook, but you could sure tell what they were. He called them "travelling horses," referring to the gaits, as in comfort/speed. I like to say they were the original SUV's (ignoring for a minute how much I hate SUV's ) but just think - sport - utility - vehicle. They were bred to be flash and dash that still pulled a plow or a wagon or tree stumps or whatever the heck you needed about five days a week, because most people could not afford 2 horses - but really wanted to make an entrance when they DID go to town. The famous hot temper and spookiness has been bred into them for the show ring. Underneath that is a core of good sense that stretches way back into time - I swear, throw a SB into a situation where he HAS to think, and he will, if he's had good management and handling and a chance to use his brain in his life. They are fundamently VERY sound animals, physically and mentally, great athletes and can distinguish themselves in almost any discipline, including dressage and endurance riding. Just IMHO, of course !!!

Yes, yes, I LOVE Saddlebreds! Congrats on a good hunt!

Default Morgan person who loves Saddlebreds..you go girl!

Good for you! I am not surprised he did well, as I agree with what others have said here and think the original and more old-type Saddlebreds are just amazing horses.

In fact, the old-type Saddlebred is very much like the old-type Morgan (but bigger/taller) They are the "Do It All" types.

There is a local Saddlebred here that does all the Hunter Paces and Eventing....he kicks butt

My Morgan is big for a Morgan..at almost 15.3 hands. She is the older type that is very stout, solid, wide chested and just a good all-arounder. I haven't tried hunting yet, but would love to someday!

We want to see pics of your boy now!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Glad you had fun, say hello to Monte for me!

I too am a fan of saddlebreds. Truth to tell, I prefer QHs and TBs but I have yet to meet a saddlebred I didn't like. When I was a wee child my aunt took me to visit a the stable of a friend of hers in East Texas and boy was I thrilled to be allowed to ride the previous year's 3-gaited champion, I think his name was Hillview Ensign. After I watched the trainer put him through his paces they hoisted me aboard and that horse said to me 'honey, I'll pack you around all day but if you think I'm snapping those knees up for you, you've got another think coming.' What an elegant saint he was!

Thumbs up first cubbing for my filly!

Was able to take my other filly out with a hunt yesterday and boy did she do good! She was understandable anxious but that draft cross personality kicked in and she was able to handle it! And I'm in one piece! woohoooo! She's gonna be a looker! Black w/white star, perch/qh cross. I always thought black horses look nice with formal attire on them!! Beat only by a black & white paint maybe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mortebella View Post
    The famous hot temper and spookiness has been bred into them for the show ring. Underneath that is a core of good sense that stretches way back into time - I swear, throw a SB into a situation where he HAS to think, and he will, if he's had good management and handling and a chance to use his brain in his life.
    I've rarely ever met a SPOOKY Saddlebred. They are great thinkers and very creative. If you don't give them a job to do or you aren't as smart as they are, then they will mess with you and make up something to do. They are bred to LOOK at things, (the rest of the world often mistakes this for spooky) but they are trained to react to questionable objects with "Forward" not "Retreat". I've often heard it referred to the "Show me the tiger" look.
    I've ridden my show horses in all sorts of circumstances. I've had pheasants fly up under their noses. I've had motorcycles roar by. I've never had one come "unstuck" in a scarey situation.
    I do have video of riding my current horse when he was three yrs old on the side of the road. We had a 30 mph wind, spooky stuff going on, signs banging in the wind, traffic etc. He never made a mis-step, but whenever I pulled up to collect myself, he would snort and flag himself (and never move a hoof). That isn't hot temper and spookiness, that's Joi De Vivre
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and you made a bad decision.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    I've rarely ever met a SPOOKY Saddlebred. They are great thinkers and very creative. If you don't give them a job to do or you aren't as smart as they are, then they will mess with you and make up something to do. They are bred to LOOK at things, (the rest of the world often mistakes this for spooky) but they are trained to react to questionable objects with "Forward" not "Retreat". I've often heard it referred to the "Show me the tiger" look.
    I've ridden my show horses in all sorts of circumstances. I've had pheasants fly up under their noses. I've had motorcycles roar by. I've never had one come "unstuck" in a scarey situation.
    I do have video of riding my current horse when he was three yrs old on the side of the road. We had a 30 mph wind, spooky stuff going on, signs banging in the wind, traffic etc. He never made a mis-step, but whenever I pulled up to collect myself, he would snort and flag himself (and never move a hoof). That isn't hot temper and spookiness, that's Joi De Vivre
    You are right! It wasn't till I got into other breeds that I'd encounter this plant your feet terror and then run away. Both my Saddlebreds would look and analyze, but never never run away from something. My little 3 gaited mare was the bravest horse I've ever ridden on the trail. And she was a pretty fancy show horse too!
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

I agree, the looky-ness is often mistaken for spooky. I've had a lot of members comment on how he stands and "poses" while we're waiting out in the field. He wants to see everything!

The one difficulty we are having is water. Or mud, because it once was water He has water issues. Terrified of being sponged down, can't be fly sprayed. He needs to get over it! Probably an issue for another thread.