The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2008 Chirstmas Card Swap?

Just looking for it! If there is someone who is already putting it all together that is great if not I can do it!

I was really impressed with everyone's cards last year and I can't wait to do it again this year.

Usually the card swap kicks off end of October. Freebird! has arranged/managed it in the past but I know that she's working/teaching full time at a barn, so might not be able. I'll check with her though, since I'll be seeing her tomorrow night for dinner
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

The card swap is always so much fun!! Will it be a go for this year???
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Usually the card swap kicks off end of October. Freebird! has arranged/managed it in the past but I know that she's working/teaching full time at a barn, so might not be able. I'll check with her though, since I'll be seeing her tomorrow night for dinner

I'd be glad to do it. To avoid confusion though, I started an email account just for teh coth swap, so please send your 411 to COTHCardSwap@yahoo.com And don't worry - I'll be starting a thread in the next week or so explaining what info to send etc.

Freebird, thank you for doing this! I missed it last year but I really enjoyed it the year before. I

Oh goody, this year is my first with the CoTH SS and I can't wait to sign up for the Card swap!
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the
    Riders with Fibromyalgia & Adult Re-riders Clique

Am in again!! I love doing this!

GREAT!! Its always so much fun to send and receive such a variety of cards at Christmas time!! Happy it is a go and I am happy to join again this year.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Can I ask what it is? I've done the Secret Santa, but never the card swap.
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Huntertwo - we all send our addresses to Freebird and she makes a big list...then we all get the big list...then we send cards out to the whole list. Many people write little one page stories about themselves, what they've done this year, and basically what their life is about right now. It's a great way to get to know people better, the pics are amazing, and you get tons of cards to display from all over the world!

It's Fun!!
    Aren't these lovely... Designer Browbands You know you want one!

Anyone remember just how many names we had on the list last year??? Was it 60 or more???

Ah, the benefits of being a pack-rat!

51 by my count.....
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

Please don't shoot me, I'm just putting this out there for discussion.

I'm assuming the Xmas card swap is done via the regular mail? If not, please ignore.

WHAT IF, instead of spending $0.42+ x 50+ stamps, everyone were to take that 20+ bucks and donate it to an equine rescue or other suitable charity, and make the swap an email-based thing? It would also mean that much less fuel for the Post Office trucks that wouldn't be carrying those thousands of cards, fewer trees killed to make the envelopes, etc. etc. etc.

Just a thought--exchange emails, do it via Facebook, or just carry on and ignore my planet-hugging pinko suggestion.
    Click here before you buy.

No problem DW. We actually did both last year. Those that wanted to do hard cards/letters, etc. did so. The others did e-mails. We'll certainly repeat that this go 'round
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

My saved postage will go to the Jakes n Ssssnakes Team for the Horse Rescue Secret Santa! Great idea deltawave. But I will probably still send out some snail mail ones...

And speaking of the Horse Rescue Secret Santa...SHAMELESS PROMOTION time!! ...we have lots of teams setting up that include many species. Calling all dogs, cats, pigeons, waterfowl, sssnakes...and of course horses and their humans!! Horse rescues are overflowing and every penny helps!! Or donate an item or some services! Please join us for the coolest Secret Santa effort by checking out the thread and following Ted's instructions!

Let's help make this a terrific holiday for the rescues!!

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Please don't shoot me, I'm just putting this out there for discussion.

I'm assuming the Xmas card swap is done via the regular mail? If not, please ignore.

WHAT IF, instead of spending $0.42+ x 50+ stamps, everyone were to take that 20+ bucks and donate it to an equine rescue or other suitable charity, and make the swap an email-based thing? It would also mean that much less fuel for the Post Office trucks that wouldn't be carrying those thousands of cards, fewer trees killed to make the envelopes, etc. etc. etc.

Just a thought--exchange emails, do it via Facebook, or just carry on and ignore my planet-hugging pinko suggestion.

I agree. I used to buy the expensive "nature" Xmas cards, but gave it up along with wrapping paper and spent the $ on the gifts.

And this year especially, it would be great to give that $5 or so to a horse rescue, go to the Secret Santa thread.

And there's a woman in England who does the digital Xmas cards, I forget her name, and maybe someone (me if I remember the website) can buy the Xmas card and we all can pass it around. The woman does the dog building a snowman, the birds building a nest in a wreath, etc. I forget her name as I've always been on the receiving end, never "buying" the digital card and sending it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Jakes View Post
    My saved postage will go to the Jakes n Ssssnakes Team for the Horse Rescue Secret Santa! Great idea deltawave. But I will probably still send out some snail mail ones...

And speaking of the Horse Rescue Secret Santa...SHAMELESS PROMOTION time!! ...we have lots of teams setting up that include many species. Calling all dogs, cats, pigeons, waterfowl, sssnakes...and of course horses and their humans!! Horse rescues are overflowing and every penny helps!! Or donate an item or some services! Please join us for the coolest Secret Santa effort by checking out the thread and following Ted's instructions!

Let's help make this a terrific holiday for the rescues!!
    ooops! the Jakessssssss and SSSSSSSSSSSSnakes has already been here!
    (Cloudy J is a member since the warmbloods haven't stepped up to donate to rescues, what's with the warmbloods?)

CandC -Do you mean Jacquie Lawson? I love her cards!!!
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

Do you think the list would be best if notations were made for those that were sending e cards instead of paper cards?? Or include email addies of those who were interested in ecards?? Just a thought.