The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast

Default SS FOR HORSE RESCUES - Rescues assigned but DONORS STILL WELCOME!!!

Update: We have a terrific list of donors this year, and the 18 501(c)3s participating are listed on page 19 of this thread. As of October 31, we PM'd everyone so they can sort out donor teams (or go solo) and specify a rescue if they have a choice. I sent an e mail contact and other info so that we can send out the rescue info as a .doc or .pdf. That's because my PM box is overflowing!!! THAT'S how generous everyone is.

BUT DONORS ARE STILL WELCOME!!! We can ALWAYS fit you in!!!

My name is Ted, and last year I was the only equine to participate in the Secret Santa for Horse Rescues. My mom, DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho," thought it would be a good idea for me to help organize this year, so that it would encourage other non-humans to take part (and well, it would also look good on my application to law school). So - here are the details! If you have any questions, PM me or my mom, and we will get back to you with answers. But for the official sign up - you have to PM me, Ted the Peep 'Ho.

OFFICIAL "RULES:"

Rescues:

(1) Must be 501(c)3 or equivalent. Rescues and therapeutic facilities are eligible.
    (2) Must be registered on the COTH bulletin board.
    (3) PM Ted the Peep ‘Ho with the following information:

(a) contact person and shipping address, including e mail address and website link.
    (b) wish list, covering a range of cost (i.e., lead ropes and hoof picks to blankets). For all items, include relevant information (i.e. waterproof or not, size, etc). Wish lists may include items for horses (e.g., wormer, stable items) or barn (e.g., buckets, hooks, mats).
    (c) items-in-kind wish list – this would include help with designing a logo, a website, a flyer, or donated items for an upcoming auction or raffle. Think outside the box! Would stationary items, or written thank you cards help?
    (d) name and contact info for feed store, farrier, vet. Some Santas do gift cards!
    (e) food items – special feed needs, homemade treats – please detail if some horses are insulin resistant, or can only eat soft treats, etc. Email my mom for some fabulous horse treat recipes (neckamws at slu dot edu)!!
    (f) sponsored horse: Some individuals or groups might like to sponsor a horse in need, so designate items for that horse. This could be for a required surgery, special dietary needs, special horsewear. If you e-mail me a jpeg (neckamws at slu dot edu) I can then include a picture, and a description of the horse and their special needs. The designated sponsored equine can then send a personal thank you card to their SS, letting their SS(s) know how much they appreciate their gifts!
    (g) Once items are received from your designated elf team/SS, the rescue should come on this thread and let everyone know what you’ve received. Nothing wrong with starting some healthy rivalry between the Secret Santas for Horse Rescues! Extra points for creativity!

Secret Santas:

(1) PM Ted the Peep ‘Ho to sign up!
    (2) Please let us know if you have a special contribution (i.e., you can design a website or logo), whether you can donate an item from your store/website/whatever for an auction (some rescues have online auctions or open houses, and these items can be sold to generate money, or can be used as a raffle prize). Requests for specific rescues, for rescues that cater to a specific breed (i.e. Exceller or CANTER), or a specific region (i.e., New York), or a focus (i.e., therapeutic riding) will be honored to the best of my match-up ability.
    (3) MONEY ISN’T EVERYTHING. A batch of homemade horse treats is a wonderful gift. The time to collect used but still useful items from your barn. The time to write some thank you notes. I have examples of the flyers I have made for Sunkissed Acres, as well as the newsletter which I can send to interested parties. You can think outside the box too!
    (4) Keep the receipts for anything you mail, as they are tax-deductible. If anyone needs a receipt for anything else, I will make sure that the rescue is aware of that (after everyone has revealed their identities!).
    (5) Any student who would like a letter stating that they have contributed in this way to a non profit (think college! Think girl scout badges!) should PM DressageGeek “Ribbon Ho” (after all is revealed) with specifics. Similarly, anyone who would like their donated item (artwork, web design, etc.) acknowledged in a similar way by the rescue, please contact me and we will arrange this.
    (6) Girl scout troops, 4-Hers, FFAers, Pony Clubbers, IHSA teams, barn groups, school teachers, customer reps (we know you’re on COTH!) etc. may all sign up as a group, if they prefer. Simply designate a single contact person.
    (7) NOT LIMITED TO HUMANS. Equines, felines, canines, etc. are all eligible to participate, either as a group or as individuals. We do appreciate that many animals don’t receive a large allowance, and we understand they like to save some of their money for treats. But what a terrific way t encourage the spirit of giving! Like we said, it’s not the money.

I'm clearing out my mailbox and look forward to hearing from all of you!!!!
    Last edited by Ted the Peep 'Ho; Nov. 7, 2008 at 07:34 PM.
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

Default Sign Me UP!

Partly Cloudy wishes to sign up to give to a horse rescue.

Well, me and G2 signed up . They are super excited to share with their rescue group. (And did we mention that these boys LOVE treats?)
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

And remember - the elves and Secret Santas can have fun too! We had some marvelous poetry to tease the designated rescues - all part of the fun!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

LadyBird has sent a PM!

Yay! PM sent.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Boomer's going to join this year!
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

Jack's Lady Guest

I asked my Mom, and she said I could play this year, Ted. I missed it last year. So put me right up at the tippy-toe top of your list. I can't wait to start shopping. And I'll get my buddy Jack to help too.

When will we find out which rescue we get? The Red Mare is telling me that it's never too early to start sending treats to needy horses! (And I've already started shopping!)

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Once we get the final list of all rescues (and of course, there's still plenty of time!) we'll get down to the nitty gritty.

So far we have EIGHT Santas - well, some are groups, and there are MORE equines and canines than humans! We so totally rock!
    www.specialhorses.org

Oh oh Teddy, its me Paris on mommy's computer. I want to play too. I love to play, lots of toys for me.

Do you think some rescues might appreciate a fashion show of me as a puppy? I can make them xmas cards.

Please put me on the list Teddy. I am a good shopper. Do horses like toys? Rawhide? Chiken?
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Paris, tell your mom she needs to officially sign up. And those other rescues better do so too!
    www.specialhorses.org

Well, I no longer have my Deuce, so he cannot participate, but I do have some of his things which can be donated. I think he would appreciate the gesture!

A bump up from Paddy - he's been waiting to sign up since last Christmas!

Another bump! Gus & Gringo were upset that "mom" didn't sign them up for the Horse Rescue SS last year...

ETA: This shouldn't have been on the second page anyways...
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

PM sent

Oh, and Ted? This is an absolutely generous and thoughtful thing that you and your mom are doing. Well done!!!!
    "To many, the words love, hope and dreams are synonymous with horses."
    Oliver Wendell Holmes

I signed Bluebonnet up.

I, unfortunately, won't be able to participate myself this year - thanks to the dang hurricane and other issues. I would LIKE to get to spoil another rescue! I'll have to play next year...
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

LadyBird's old BF Happy Hour will be joining the Santas, or he an elf? I'll be working with his mom to coordinate donations, etc.
    Last edited by lalahartma1; Oct. 2, 2008 at 01:12 PM.

We are so psyched - we have FOURTEEN PMs from various species that want to play!

So far, the equines outnumber everyone, with canines a close second, felines third, followed by humans. We SO SO rock! Gimme a high five with that hoof!
    www.specialhorses.org

How many rescues are signed up so far? I was curious about something...what happens if we get to the deadline, and we have more santas than rescues? Or vice versa?
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!