SS FOR HORSE RESCUES - Rescues assigned but DONORS STILL WELCOME!!!
Update: We have a terrific list of donors this year, and the 18 501(c)3s participating are listed on page 19 of this thread. As of October 31, we PM'd everyone so they can sort out donor teams (or go solo) and specify a rescue if they have a choice. I sent an e mail contact and other info so that we can send out the rescue info as a .doc or .pdf. That's because my PM box is overflowing!!! THAT'S how generous everyone is.
BUT DONORS ARE STILL WELCOME!!! We can ALWAYS fit you in!!!
My name is Ted, and last year I was the only equine to participate in the Secret Santa for Horse Rescues. My mom, DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho," thought it would be a good idea for me to help organize this year, so that it would encourage other non-humans to take part (and well, it would also look good on my application to law school). So - here are the details! If you have any questions, PM me or my mom, and we will get back to you with answers. But for the official sign up - you have to PM me, Ted the Peep 'Ho.
(1) Must be 501(c)3 or equivalent. Rescues and therapeutic facilities are eligible.
(2) Must be registered on the COTH bulletin board.
(3) PM Ted the Peep ‘Ho with the following information:
(a) contact person and shipping address, including e mail address and website link.
(b) wish list, covering a range of cost (i.e., lead ropes and hoof picks to blankets). For all items, include relevant information (i.e. waterproof or not, size, etc). Wish lists may include items for horses (e.g., wormer, stable items) or barn (e.g., buckets, hooks, mats).
(c) items-in-kind wish list – this would include help with designing a logo, a website, a flyer, or donated items for an upcoming auction or raffle. Think outside the box! Would stationary items, or written thank you cards help?
(d) name and contact info for feed store, farrier, vet. Some Santas do gift cards!
(e) food items – special feed needs, homemade treats – please detail if some horses are insulin resistant, or can only eat soft treats, etc. Email my mom for some fabulous horse treat recipes (neckamws at slu dot edu)!!
(f) sponsored horse: Some individuals or groups might like to sponsor a horse in need, so designate items for that horse. This could be for a required surgery, special dietary needs, special horsewear. If you e-mail me a jpeg (neckamws at slu dot edu) I can then include a picture, and a description of the horse and their special needs. The designated sponsored equine can then send a personal thank you card to their SS, letting their SS(s) know how much they appreciate their gifts!
(g) Once items are received from your designated elf team/SS, the rescue should come on this thread and let everyone know what you’ve received. Nothing wrong with starting some healthy rivalry between the Secret Santas for Horse Rescues! Extra points for creativity!
(1) PM Ted the Peep ‘Ho to sign up!
(2) Please let us know if you have a special contribution (i.e., you can design a website or logo), whether you can donate an item from your store/website/whatever for an auction (some rescues have online auctions or open houses, and these items can be sold to generate money, or can be used as a raffle prize). Requests for specific rescues, for rescues that cater to a specific breed (i.e. Exceller or CANTER), or a specific region (i.e., New York), or a focus (i.e., therapeutic riding) will be honored to the best of my match-up ability.
(3) MONEY ISN’T EVERYTHING. A batch of homemade horse treats is a wonderful gift. The time to collect used but still useful items from your barn. The time to write some thank you notes. I have examples of the flyers I have made for Sunkissed Acres, as well as the newsletter which I can send to interested parties. You can think outside the box too!
(4) Keep the receipts for anything you mail, as they are tax-deductible. If anyone needs a receipt for anything else, I will make sure that the rescue is aware of that (after everyone has revealed their identities!).
(5) Any student who would like a letter stating that they have contributed in this way to a non profit (think college! Think girl scout badges!) should PM DressageGeek “Ribbon Ho” (after all is revealed) with specifics. Similarly, anyone who would like their donated item (artwork, web design, etc.) acknowledged in a similar way by the rescue, please contact me and we will arrange this.
(6) Girl scout troops, 4-Hers, FFAers, Pony Clubbers, IHSA teams, barn groups, school teachers, customer reps (we know you’re on COTH!) etc. may all sign up as a group, if they prefer. Simply designate a single contact person.
(7) NOT LIMITED TO HUMANS. Equines, felines, canines, etc. are all eligible to participate, either as a group or as individuals. We do appreciate that many animals don’t receive a large allowance, and we understand they like to save some of their money for treats. But what a terrific way t encourage the spirit of giving! Like we said, it’s not the money.
I'm clearing out my mailbox and look forward to hearing from all of you!!!!
Last edited by Ted the Peep 'Ho; Nov. 7, 2008 at 07:34 PM.
I asked my Mom, and she said I could play this year, Ted. I missed it last year. So put me right up at the tippy-toe top of your list. I can't wait to start shopping. And I'll get my buddy Jack to help too.