The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

SariStar85 Guest

Question Frederick, MD area hunter/jumper barns

Hi all! I'm currently living in Florida and am going to be moving to Maryland in December. Will be moving to the Frederick area.

I rode as a junior in all the pony stuff, medals, equitation, hunter/jumpers in A/AA through some local stuff. I've pretty much been out of riding (except for the occasional trail ride or hack with friends) for the past five years while going to college, and am absolutely dying to find myself a nice barn with a good trainer(s), just don't really know much about that area and which direction to head.

I'm looking for a barn that is friendly to adult/amateurs, with some horses available to ride for lessons...it will probably be about a year before I'm looking to buy. I'm definately looking to get back into showing again, and get back my riding skills/improve what skills I have, so would love a barn active in showing with showing opportunities for me at local/rated shows. Ultimately the goal is to do the medal classes/big eq again, so a barn with some exerience in equitation is a plus.

Any suggestions would be great! I'm just thrilled to be getting back into it again! Looking to stay within Frederick, Washington, Carrol, Howard, or Montgomery counties for commuting purposes.

Thanks in advance!

I think you will be happy with the optionsin Maryland. You need to "google" Equiery, which is the Maryland horsie mag. You will find lots of information. They have a Web site and I believe will also send you a sample copy. Welcome!

If you are interested in a high caliber , serious "A" barn, then I would definitely check out Kenny and Carolyn Krome at Persimmon Tree in nearby Westminster. Kenny travels all over the US doing Courses and Judging,Takes a bunch to FLorida in the winter , and his Mom Carolyn holds down the fort while he is gone.
    http://www.persimmontreefarm.com/
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

Talking

Welcome!

I live in Frederick too!

It is hard to find nice hunter barns in this area that have horses for you to ride. I currently ride in Poolesville (not too far from Frederick, but I also work down in Montgomery county) at Tulip Pond Farm. I love it there, but I do have my own horse.

Also, I used to work at The Equiery and I do recommend it as a good resource!

Some places I would suggest:

In Frederick county, Adamstown - Dreamcatcher Farm, Melinda Cohen (really good! don't know if she has school horses though, and there are a lot of kids and ponies last time I went, but Melinda is a great trainer) - 301-607-4238
    In Frederick county, New Market area - New Blessing Farm 301-829-7125
    In Frederick, the Little's place (Lynn, Ray and Marilyn) - Raylyn Farm: 301-662-6683
    In Frederick county, Jefferson area - GlenWillow - 301-473-9091

In Howard county: Willow Wood

In Montgomery county: Walnut Pond, Centurion Farm (pretty big time), Rolling Acres, and of course I love where I am but not sure of the lesson availability - doesn't hurt to ask: 301-977-6767

The phone numbers for the places listed above can all be found here: http://www.equiery.com/ridingBoardingStables.php

As far as I know, all of these places do rated and some do local also. Best of luck deciding - there are certainly a lot to choose from around here! And please let me know if you have any other questions, I'm pretty familiar with the Maryland H/J scene.

I second Rolling Acres. I rode there for 5 years and did not own a horse. Had plenty of opportunities to have lessons, hack horses and show. I can't say enough good things about all of the trainers, staff and, of course, their many wonderful horses.

SariStar85 Guest

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Will definately check into some of those barns!!

Default love rolling acres

I had great experiences at Rolling acres. I was a 30 year old horseless A/A they made it affordable for me to show and eventually buy an A/O horse within my budget. Laura Pickett,Patty Foster and Mary Lisa are amazing and each unique..I can't say enough good things about them personally and professionally,I still maintain a friendship with all of them even though I have moved and haven't ridden with them for 8 years ! Highly recommended

Surmont is in Poolesville as well. I rode there way back in the day. I don't think they have the proverbial lesson horse however, it is a class act all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRoseFarm View Post
    If you are interested in a high caliber , serious "A" barn, then I would definitely check out Kenny and Carolyn Krome at Persimmon Tree in nearby Westminster. Kenny travels all over the US doing Courses and Judging,Takes a bunch to FLorida in the winter , and his Mom Carolyn holds down the fort while he is gone.
    I rode with Kenny back in the early 90's and I was really happy with him. That was when he was married and living up Route 28 at Inverness I believe. It's been a while since I have been back in my birth state. Sarah
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Facebook: Hilltop Farm VA

Which side of Frederick will you be on, and to where will you be commuting? I-270 from Frederick to Clarksburg is a bear, no matter how early you try to commute. I 70 east can be pretty tough, too, but it's at its worst coming back into the city in the evening.

Strangely, north of Frederick is a H/J wasteland, which is odd because it's nice farmland. Over in Carroll, Kromes is definitely top notch. In Montgomery County, I would go with Rolling Acres, Walnut Pond, ESP (all in Brookeville) or Alan Lohman in Poolesville. A lot depends on where you'll be working and what your horse goals are.

Feel free to PT me with questions about particular barns.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

lbb Guest

Alan Lohman and Centurion Farms in Poolesville are both worth a call. I don't know if Alan has a horse he may offer lessons on or not, but he is great. Centurion is also great, same deal as Alan. But doesn't hurt to try!

Happy to speak to both if you'd like to drop me a PM. I kept my horse at Centurion for a while (and we're eventers! ), and very much enjoyed my time there.

New Blessing does not have school horses.
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

Try Beyond a Bay Farm in Poolesville, MD. You don't have to get on the Beltway if you are coming from DC. It has a really nice facility and great people/ barn staff. The trainer is really good and her students regularly do well at local/ A shows. You do have to have a horse (own/lease) to ride there but if you come in without a horse the trainer will help you find one. It's really low key- some of the kids there don't even show- but you can also get really good instruction. The trainer's name is Barbie Burns.
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

Ali Listranti at Walnut Pond, and rolling acres.

Tulip Pond is great, about an hour without traffic from DC in Poolesville also.

Default Hunter Jumper barns in Anne Arundel or PG Counties

I just moved to Maryland and am looking for a hunter/jumper training barn. I have 2 horses: one is my TB 18-year old jumper, who is semi-retired due to arthritis, and one is a 7-year old 17H TB mare that we got right off the track almost 3 years ago. I am looking for a hunter/jumper barn that likes to work with young horses and can help me bring her along to show in the Adequan or pre-green 3’3” hunter division and maybe beyond. I want to do adult eq. We both need training board, and Nin needs lots of experience at shows and an experienced pro to ride her in the shows. My old guy just needs a nice stall with lots of turnout. I am looking for an organized, professional barn with excellent care of horses, owner on the premises, good turnout, training board and lessons and lots of experience with young hunters. Seems like a lot to ask but any guidance would be much appreciated.

We live right near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, but I just got a job at NIH in Bethesda so we are moving to Anne Arundel county in a few months. It would be great to find a barn mid-way between Bethesda and the Bay Bridge in PG or Anne Arundel county

Thumbs up Another Vote for the Kromes

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRoseFarm View Post
    I second the Kromes at Persimmon Tree! I have been very happy with everything they have done for me.
    New Blessing Farm
    Standing the Oldenburg stallion Legaczy
    www.newblessingfarm.com
    "The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground".

Quote Originally Posted by Heineken View Post
    New Blessing does not have school horses.
    No, we do not have school horses. We offer full care boarding and are focusing on our breeding program.
    New Blessing Farm
    Standing the Oldenburg stallion Legaczy
    www.newblessingfarm.com
    "The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground".

http://www.hiddenhillshorsefarm.com/

7550 Green Valley Road
    Frederick, MD 21701
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse