The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best local hunt to cap with for new rider?

My significant other Randy is all set to go cubbing... now I need to get him set with the right hunt for a good experience. He's going on Dora the Shire, he's been riding quite a bit this summer and I think he's ready to go.

Can someone suggest the best fixture/hunt locally to Fauquier or Middleburg area that I can send him ? I can't hunt yet because of my total replacement knee surgery which is well under way to recovery... but I will be there as ground support!

He is looking to go mid October.

Please help!!

One of a Kind Studio
    Fine Art Paintings, Horses, Dogs, Wildlife and anything else that inspires.

New convert to the cow horse world.. love my QH mare.

La Gringa, you are living in the area and know all the hunts well.....the only problem you should have is deciding which one to go to! that is the hard decision! But for a beginner, stick to Fairfax as any of the their fixtures would suit most new foxhunters/riders.

Well, I am a complete and utter weenie, but I went out cubbing with Casanova on opening day. I honestly can't speak for other hunts, but once I got past my initial terror of cantering downhill and the whole "Doppler Effect", I was fine. My horse was a star and LOVED it, although I will admit to spending the first 30-45 minutes praying for my life. Again, let me reiterate...I am a weenie! JSwan joked that she was afraid that she'd eventually look back to see my horse galloping towards her with me lying on the ground somewhere. Seriously, though, everyone there was really wonderful, and once I relaxed and learned to trust my horse, I couldn't stop grinning. I was at the very back of the group and later on was told that the master got a good talking to for making everyone go too fast with guests and am assured that the next time, it won't be like that!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

You could try Bull Run. They are very friendly and their territory is mostly flat. At Rapp Hunt we're friendly but our territory is very hilly to mountainous which I don't think would be good for a Shire.

Quote Originally Posted by Elghund2 View Post
    You could try Bull Run. They are very friendly and their territory is mostly flat. At Rapp Hunt we're friendly but our territory is very hilly to mountainous which I don't think would be good for a Shire.
    I thought Bull Run might be a good one.

Dora and I did a Casanova Fixture during VA Hunt Week. She handled it fine... I am more worried about Randy than her. He can stay on pretty well but I want this to be fun for him.

I don't know too many people at Fairfax...

What about Piedmont or Middleburg?
    One of a Kind Studio

Piedmont?? Um. No.
    Middleburg maybe.
    Snickersville probably.
    Bull Run. I'd say no.
    Loudoun or Loudoun West definately.
    ODH only maybe.
    Rappahannock or Thornton Hill. No.
    The no's are because of either too tough a territory or too much sport. The yes's are because of somewhat 'easier' territories.
    What you especially don't want is a big tired horse carrying a tired man.
    I am also dubious of 'sending' him. I'd for certain want to accompany any SO for a while. Hunters are generally nice and inclusive, but he'll feel (I'm betting) like a fish out of water, etc. and I'd want to be damned sure to do the appropriate hand holding and quiet explanations and introductions and whatnot that only an intimate partner can submit.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

[QUOTE=Elghund]You could try Bull Run. They are very friendly and their territory is mostly flat. QUOTE]

Maybe mostly flat but there is this wooded hill they call CEDAR MTN and I have lost count of the times I have hunted from nearby fixtures but found my draftie huffing and puffing going up that danged mountain not once but two or even three times in a day....They also have some particularly deep going at some fixtures....the aptly named Muckamoor springs to mind. Not necessarily my first pick for a newbie to the sport who is riding a heavyweight draft cross.
    Last edited by Tantivy1; Oct. 1, 2008 at 09:16 AM.

Thumbs up wooohooo! Loudoun!

Loudoun, Loudoun, Loudoun!!!
    Smaller fields, cheaper caps, smaller territories. Perfect first hunt hunt!! For both horses & riders. Call me for more info! Great hilltopper fields led by nice folks.
    Don't forget; he'll need a sponsor for the day and I'm sure any of us can help arrange that for him! Best wishes for a wonderful day for him; he's certainly earned it!!

I guess what is a mountain is relative to experience and what you ride. I ride TB's in Rapp's mountains, so Cedar doesn't seem like much. I will say that you don't want to hunt Bull Run after a rain. Same is true for Casanova. Very deep footing.

My think was that with BRH being flat and that their hilltopping fields are usually on the slow side that that might work.

I will say that if you can out out with Rapp H. at Mt Elery, Elmwood, The Hill, or Thornton River that those are pretty good hilltopping fixtures. I've been taking my new hunter to those to hill top.

Their hilltopping field is excellent, and I must agree - it is really Cedar Hill and YOU are in the real mountains at Rappy!

Smile If only

I could be sure that my hubby is going out cubbing, he would be good for your hubby to team with since both my horse and my husband are out of shape and wouln't stay out long hilltopping with ODH. However, we haven't make it out cubbing so far this season, but I do have hopes we will make it out this weekend. Waterglen usually truck hunts with me since I am still not recovered completely from my accident last year and I always have coffee.

A friend of mine went riding with Rappahannock years ago and jokingly referred to it as "Rappa-hold on". She said it is definitely not for the faint-hearted.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Talking Flatlanders

Y'all might think Cedar Mountain or ODH or Rappahannock country is steep...til you head west and try Red Rock Hounds country. Nothing quite like negotiating 1000 foot ridges to check your horse's fitness! There are, however, quite a few draft crosses in their hilltopper group, and they get along fine.

As for which hunt in Virginia- I'd recommend you contact the Masters of some of the hunts that have been mentioned and ask for their recommendations- they might suggest a good fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by x-rab View Post
    I could be sure that my hubby is going out cubbing, he would be good for your hubby to team with since both my horse and my husband are out of shape and wouln't stay out long hilltopping with ODH. However, we haven't make it out cubbing so far this season, but I do have hopes we will make it out this weekend. Waterglen usually truck hunts with me since I am still not recovered completely from my accident last year and I always have coffee.
    Sounds appealing... does the coffee flow for those back at the trailers?

Does ODH meet on Saturdays? He wants to go Oct 11 on Sat.

Loudoun isn't meeting that Sat, they have a Columbus Day trail ride Monday.

He actually has hunted before with Snickersville, and it went well. He does need to learn the ropes though, and believe me I would go if I could.. but my knee won't let me and my new OTTB is way too green yet.

Dora will be fine. I went with her for 4 hours with Casanova and we survived.
    One of a Kind Studio

Yes, ODH goes Tues-Thurs-Sat. At 8"30 am these days. Send him along, but you HAVE to have someone go with. I can be had if you ask nice. ;o) (will work for food ....) ODH meets at Hunter's Rest Oct. 18 if he'd prefer to go with from here. Not sure where they meet Oct. 11 - we don't do a cubbing fixture card.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

I would make sure your Shire horse is fairly fit - in Mid Oct they might gallop a bit - even in second field. If he's just going to Hilltop, then as a beginner rider, he should be ok.

Default Hopefully

Now that the house redecoration is done, I have hopes that hubby and I will be cubbing more often. Coffee does flow at the trailers, but you are welcome to truck follow with me. Betsy is a wonderful person to guide a newby around with ODH so would take her up on her offer.

Oooooh. Xrab - bring coffee to the hunt meet at my place -- I'm planning to do a stirrup cup before (and after) -- cookies and nibbles and port. A nice big steaming thermos of coffee would also be nice. I have 2 non-hunting guests coming that would love to follow and cartop if Xrab and Wglen want to car follow. Though Wglen's nice young horse may be up to hunting? Hope ya'll will all come.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
    Yes, ODH goes Tues-Thurs-Sat. At 8"30 am these days. Send him along, but you HAVE to have someone go with. I can be had if you ask nice. ;o) (will work for food ....) ODH meets at Hunter's Rest Oct. 18 if he'd prefer to go with from here. Not sure where they meet Oct. 11 - we don't do a cubbing fixture card.
    Food is certainly doable... I can ask very nice....

He will look dapper in his tweed coat.... he's all excited to go.

He will need to be in a hilltopping group however...

We may consider Middleburg as well..
    One of a Kind Studio

Default Piedmont Hunt

My daughter and her bf hunt with Piedmont and really love it. My daughter has been hilltopping this year because she is riding a green horse and it has been great. Everyone is very friendly and helpful.