The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default favorite galloping scene in a movie?

last night, I watched, [for about the 100th time] Calamity Jane, one of my all time favorite movies. There is a scene toward the end where Calamity, Doris Day jumps on a horse and goes off pell mell to catch the stage. I am sure it is a stunt double but it sure looked like her. Anyway, it is about a 2 minute scene where she is riding hard and the horse is terrific! Does anyone else remember that? Do you have a favorite scene in a movie?
    Another killer of threads

Absolutely hands down my favorite is the last few scenes in The Man From Snowy River when the guy rides his horse down the mountain and rounds up the mustangs and brings them in! Swoon!

Default Mine too!!

Quote Originally Posted by MissintheSouth View Post
    Absolutely hands down my favorite is the last few scenes in The Man From Snowy River when the guy rides his horse down the mountain and rounds up the mustangs and brings them in! Swoon!
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org

I second The Man from Snowy River! LOVE IT. Also, though, I LOVE when in the Black Stallion, he spots the field a bazillion lengths and they flip back and forth from island galloping to racetrack galloping. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it! But then, I'm a pretty big nerd

The snowy river movies are awesome. I also love the whole movie Hidalgo, but especially the last scene, where Hidalgo gets up, and Viggo races the last few miles bareback through the desert.
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

Man from Snowy River

Man From Snowy River - hands down!!! Even the music brings tears to my eyes!!!

Man from Snowy River. But also the Chariot scene in Ben Hur.

Alec Ramsey galloping the Black on the beach.
    Velvet Brown galloping The Pie across the fields in the countryside.
    www.littlekentuckyfarm.com
    Thoroughbred Training and Sales

Quote Originally Posted by LKF View Post
    Alec Ramsey galloping the Black on the beach.
    Velvet Brown galloping The Pie across the fields in the countryside.
    Both of those, plus the scene in Seabiscuit- not at the track, but at the farm, when they're galloping through the trees on grass. That looked like tons of fun!

My all-time favorite galloping scene is in King Arthur (the one w/Sean Connery).

I can't remember all the names of the characters but it's when they're galloping across the field (for some reason I think it's at dawn) on their way to Guinevere's 'home'. She's on that white mare K.A. gave her and they are stretched out and moving.

Just glorious to watch. That horse is holding nothing back and is, in fact, reaching for the turf for all she's worth.

Just love it. sylvia

ps - have never seen Man From Snowy River but I have seen that particular scene from the movie. Guin's Race for Home beats it hands-down.
    Never explain yourself to someone who is committed to misunderstanding you.

I don't remember the name of the movie...Nicole Kidman and Tom Alien Cruise. I'm not a fan of either actor...frankly never liked Cruise. But there was a movie about them coming from Ireland to claim free land here in the states (I think that was the theme) and there was a scene where there were a lot of riders and wagons waiting for the starting time to go claim their land. A rifle goes off and the resulting galloping scenes were pretty surprising! The riders were galloping flat out...not a speeded up canter and those wagons...yeesh! I wouldn't have wanted to have been on one of those. Kudos to the stunt drivers! It was a pretty memorable scene, just can't remember the movie's name.

Okay, found it on youtube...movie was Far and Away and thry do have the land race scene on there. Just watched it...I remember it a little more exciting than that but I have a shot memory, LOL. I think the movie had more real time and less slo-mo. I also don't remember the horse getting "hit" in the face. (although it's movie angles and not an actual hit)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqrxX_ebl7Q
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

First of all, I love "Calamity Jane", and I've wondered if that really is Doris Day, too. Her outfit in that scene was to die for, too....looked like butter soft suede.

My vote's for "The Black Stallion" on the island, too. That was a beautiful movie. I cry every time, and I'll never forget going to see it in the theater. We were waiting for the theater to empty, because we knew the movie was over, but everyone was inside watching the credits. Beautiful. I think a lot of people became horse fanciers because of that movie.

MB, I know which movie you mean, but can't remember it.....

Far and Away:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104231/

The Oklahoma Land Rush.

My favorites are all the galloping scenes in the 70s Three Musketeers movies. They race up and down these beaches in France, carrying messages to the Queen. Love those movies, and many of the horses look Spanish and gorgeous.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

The scene in the first Lord of the Rings movie where Arwen (Liv Tyler) has to outrun the Ring Wraiths to get Frodo over the river is pretty awesome. Show in slow motion, Arwen's riding a fabulous baroque horse that does lead changes and really stretches out, and the Ring Wraiths on their big black horses all come together in a V chasing her. Really powerful.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

Quote Originally Posted by cllane1 View Post
    The scene in the first Lord of the Rings movie where Arwen (Liv Tyler) has to outrun the Ring Wraiths to get Frodo over the river is pretty awesome. Show in slow motion, Arwen's riding a fabulous baroque horse that does lead changes and really stretches out, and the Ring Wraiths on their big black horses all come together in a V chasing her. Really powerful.

YESSSSSSSS, beautifully shot and choreographed. I also love the immediately preceding scene where she's galloping amongst the yellow flowers and then into the wooded area where the wraiths are.

Also, the scene from the Black Stallion that Big_Tag mentions always makes me weepy!

In addition to the above, for the sheer comedy (and stunt!) value, the foxhunting scene in Mame.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Flap them arms, boy!
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

I second the fox hunting scene in Mame. Also, there was a British mini-series on in the late 70s called Flambards that has some great hunting scenes. If your library has it, it's worth checking out just for those scenes.

There are so many great ones its really hard to choose!

Definatly have to agree about the Man from Snowy River scene, that has been a favorite movie of mine since I was a youngin'. Also the Seabiscuit scene on the farm where he just lets him go and he gradually gets faster and faster. The Island scene from The Black Stallion is just amazing. The last leg of the race in Hidalgo. Also love the scenes when Gandalf? is riding Shadowfax (even though not all of them are really amazing galloping shots) But The Man from Snowy River is probably my all time favorite.