The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Buyer MIA

I sold a horse back in September. Paid in full. Buyer asked if I could board horse while new ranch purchase was going through, winter coming up, etc etc. Paid board for 2 months

I subsequently waived board because horse became absolutely indispensable to me and I asked owner if horse could stay until end of February. No problem.

As always, sent video updates. Last heard from owner late December - message saying 'see you in new year'.

And haven't heard a word since despite sending photo email and leaving message.

What would you do in this situation?

(I hasten to add horse can stay forever as far as I'm concerned - actually regretting selling her)

Can you send a letter via snail mail with Delivery conformation on it? I would be worried if I couldn't get a hold of an owner of one of our horses here, God forbid something happen and I needed to get permission to have vet work done in an emergancy. Could there be a mutal friend that could try contacting them too on your behalf?
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

WOW! I would be conserned that something happened to the buyer. I would ditto on the snail mail with conformation..
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

That's a good idea - but wait for this - I don't actually know the buyer's address. I know, I know..... but they didn't return a signed contract to me (in my email I asked buyer to fill in mailing details, print and return contract), just an email saying - contract fine and a check!

The vet aspect never even occurred to me! Shoot.

If they paid by check was their address not on the check? Did you happen to keep a photo copy of the check?

Have you tried googling their name to see if you can find an address that way?

1 members found this post helpful.

I didn't look at the address on the check or keep a photocopy.

The only thing that comes up on Google is a vacation rental. Maybe the buyer has gone away for winter and doesn't have internet?

eta - reading closer, it says it's available mid dec to Jan 20th - so maybe I should just hang tight before asking the police to do a welfare check.

Very odd though
    Last edited by Molly Malone; Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Malone View Post
    I didn't look at the address on the check or keep a photocopy.

The only thing that comes up on Google is a vacation rental. Maybe the buyer has gone away for winter and doesn't have internet?
    My online bank statements show photos of checks I cashed maybe yours does too?
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

You may be able to get a photo copy of the check from the bank where you deposited it. Worth a phone call to said bank... Also, you can do a people search from a number of sites, rather than just typing name in google. You may have to pay a few $ to get info, though some are free for address. All you need is name, and city or state.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

You could also contact your bank and ask them to retrieve a photocopy of the cheque. Of course, it won't be free, but not expensive either...
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

I have to go to the bank today anyway

Just a thought - if the buyer or the buyers family got hit with the flu, I can see how she/he can be MIA for a few weeks.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

certainly strange! even if i was sick, as another poster mentioned, i'd try to pass along an email to let you know i was still (somewhat) alive and what my plans were. does she live close to you? i know if it were me, i would have at least tried to come and visit within the past month.

either way, is there something akin to an innkeeper's law that would place the horse back within your possession if the new owner's flown the coop? i always thought that applied more so to abandoned, boarded animals with outstanding dues, but perhaps it's applicable here?

Since you both agreed that the horse would stay with you until the end of February, I wouldn't panic just yet. If they feel comfortable with the arrangement and have a lot of stuff going on and your messages were more in update form rather than asking for a response, then it's not out of the realm of possibility that they'd not reply.

I think that were I in your shoes, I'd get that purchase agreement put together and send it off to them for a signature and then call and let them know you've sent it and to please call when they receive it.

Hopefully, it's just a case of no news is good news. But if not, I'd be looking at your options as far as a stableman's lien come March 1.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by tinydragon View Post

either way, is there something akin to an innkeeper's law that would place the horse back within your possession if the new owner's flown the coop? i always thought that applied more so to abandoned, boarded animals with outstanding dues, but perhaps it's applicable here?
    Well of course the thought crossed my mind, but I resolutely shoved it away as crossing the line between worrying something had happened to owner and hoping something had LOL

Well at the risk of being overly dramatic, I asked the police for a welfare check (the vacation house instantly recognizable). They went round and the house had been rented but the renter had been in contact with the owner in the past week and said that the owner was travelling.

So it seems all is well.

Oh good! Glad you found that out.

I have no advice to offer you other than to say we had a buyer do the exact same thing a several years ago. Identical. Except they completely disappeared. Totally. I sent registered letters and one made it through, the rest came back. I sent emails. I tried calling. I tried doing a search for them on the internet. It was truly baffling. Ultimately? They literally walked away from the horse. I could not find out ANYTHING on them. The job the woman was at, she no longer worked there. She was buying the horse for her daughter who rode with a trainer that I knew. Disappeared and quit taking lessons. It truly was one of the weirdest experiences EVER! And you're left in limbo! I got court authorization to sell the horse and if she ever shows up again, I'll apply what she had paid to another horse, but talk about totally frusatrating. We "did" wait over a year before we did anything, though. I just kept sending letters and statements and requests. Ugh...sometimes things are just too weird for words.
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    I have no advice to offer you other than to say we had a buyer do the exact same thing a several years ago. Identical. Except they completely disappeared. Totally. I sent registered letters and one made it through, the rest came back. I sent emails. I tried calling. I tried doing a search for them on the internet. It was truly baffling. Ultimately? They literally walked away from the horse. I could not find out ANYTHING on them. The job the woman was at, she no longer worked there. She was buying the horse for her daughter who rode with a trainer that I knew. Disappeared and quit taking lessons. It truly was one of the weirdest experiences EVER! And you're left in limbo! I got court authorization to sell the horse and if she ever shows up again, I'll apply what she had paid to another horse, but talk about totally frusatrating. We "did" wait over a year before we did anything, though. I just kept sending letters and statements and requests. Ugh...sometimes things are just too weird for words.
    Witness protection program ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Elfe View Post
    That was my thought exactly!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elfe View Post
    only logical thought.. and I had it too.

Hmmmm interesting!
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"