The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Please help--I can't decide:(

I know I should feel lucky to have this problem, but I have found two horses that I love and I just can't decide between them.

A little background on me. I've done a few mini events and I'm looking for a horse that could go at least Novice and maybe Training level. My last horse who I recently lost was a dirty stopper at the beginning. We finally worked it out, but I lost some confidence along the way.

If you were me which would you go with:

4 year old TB gelding. Extrememly quiet and sane. Very smart and trainable. Not much experience but has been to a H/J show. This horse doesn't stop at a fence. I gave him a few bad spots yesterday and he found a way out of everything and then corrected it on the next go around.

9 year old TB gelding. Has evented through Novice. Again quiet and sane. Could show me the ropes, but may have some maitenace issues. I'm riding this one again on Sunday, but the last time I rode he was great on the flat and over fences.

So would you go with experience and deal with the maintence or would you go younger with great potential.

Not much cost difference and i would be working with a trainer.

Have at it!!
    Harmonys Maestro: 1992-2008 RIP
    Harlequinn - redhead extraordinaire

Well, not knowing either horses or you, I will give you my first reaction (albeit limited):

This is just MY opinion, and fwiw, I like going with the babies. At least then I know more of how/why he ticks the way he does. And I can control more of his future training. So your baby option sounds like a good place to start to me.

But again - that is just my opinion. It can definitely be the riskier one.
    Best of luck - and update us on the one you decide!

I think it greatly depends on how much, and what, maintenance is required. How much are you willing to do? How much are you willing to spend? If it's just a sensitive digestive system, so he has to eat X feed, then that's not as big of a deal as severe joint issues that need to be injected every 6 weeks. (This is a gross exaggeration, and hypothetical, but I'm trying to make a point.) From what you described, both horses sound great. Try evaluating the not-so-great aspects, and see if there's anything with either horse that makes you uncomfortable. Basically, make a pro/con list. If you really think that both are equal, and you really click with both, then start narrowing it down even more. Which is a better size? Which one would be an easier keeper in your pasture and/or stall set up? Ask your trainer's opinion.
    Good luck!

I wouldn't call novice "experience". Most horses come out at novice. And 9 years old with maintenance... is it arthritic? That seems like a young age for joint or physical problems, especially for having only gone novice. around 11 or 12 is the time you should start seeing this, but not if they really haven't done a whole lot yet. If I were you I would go with the younger horse, but do you really have time for a young horse? Patience? What would happen if the horse turned out to be a dud. Keep that in mind.

What maintenance issues? At 9 he shouldn't have any - are you thinking just because he's 9 he will have more than the 4 year old? That's really not always the case- in fact, the 9 year old doing the job you want, soundly, is the better gamble than the untried prospect.

While greenies can be fun, if you want to learn to event, I would go with the horse who already does. Not that you can't learn alongside a young horse if you have good instruction, but it will take longer.

Has the youngster seen a ditch or water? The Novice horse already has.

Quote Originally Posted by Coneleganta View Post
    What would happen if the horse turned out to be a dud. Keep that in mind.
    While I agree that's always a good consideration, isn't that the case with any horse? Going on what you said, if Novice doesn't mean experience, then you could say either horse might turn out to be a dud. I wouldn't not buy a youngster just because of that.

Default clarification

Ok, the maintanence is just a joint supplement. He is a little stiff right out of the stall but seems to be fine after a brief warm up period. Who knows if I would find anything else at the prepurchase, but as of now just a supplement.

Reading between the lines, I expect that YOU have never gone Novice or higher (Mini-event isn't well defined enough for me to be sure- there are mini-events that go up to Training).

If that is the case, then I would DEFINITELY recommend going with a horse that HAS already done Novice.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    What maintenance issues? At 9 he shouldn't have any - are you thinking just because he's 9 he will have more than the 4 year old? That's really not always the case- in fact, the 9 year old doing the job you want, soundly, is the better gamble than the untried prospect.

While greenies can be fun, if you want to learn to event, I would go with the horse who already does. Not that you can't learn alongside a young horse if you have good instruction, but it will take longer.

Has the youngster seen a ditch or water? The Novice horse already has.

That is sort of my reaction. You don't even know if the 4 year old will event. I enjoy bringing along young horses.....but I'm not new to the sport. You have already had confidence issues....a young green horse will need you to give them confidence. While he might not stop now....all horses will eventually if not ridden right. At least the other horse knows more than you at the moment.

But what are your goals? If it is to go beyond Novice.....I might keep looking.
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Default my experience

So far I have only competed at the prenovice level (up to 2 ft) and was getting ready to move up to BN before I lost my horse. My aspiration is to go at least Novice and maybe Training level if I get brave enough

Quote Originally Posted by eventerwannabe View Post
    Ok, the maintanence is just a joint supplement. He is a little stiff right out of the stall but seems to be fine after a brief warm up period. Who knows if I would find anything else at the prepurchase, but as of now just a supplement.
    That ain't maintenance, that's just preference. A true "maintenance" horse is one who needs his hocks done twice a year to stay comfortable, or whose feet fall apart if he's not in glue-ons, or who needs to stay on Ulcerguard every day. A feed supplement isn't anything I'd be concerned about as a factor in a potential horse.

I'm with Janet: green plus green rarely equals blue. If your goal is Novice or Training, I think you'll be much happier long term with one that can help show you the ropes, rather than you both figuring it out as you go along. Youngsters are alot of fun, but that doesn't sound like what's in your game plan right now - better to buy the horse that's doing the job you want it to do, when you're building your own skills and confidence.

Just another thought to add to the discussion. I've been riding for almost 11 years. I was started on the sour, dirty-stopping lesson ponies, and I moved on up the line to nicer horses. I've ridden stallions, done 1st level dressage, jumped my old pony 3'3, had countless jumping lessons (including xc schooling), have spectated and volunteered at upper level events...the list goes on and on. I'm currently re-training my first OTTB project, and he's due at his first event in November.
    That being said, I've only competed in a few mini-events (not including combined tests/HJ shows/etc). But, that was because there weren't any in my area and I couldn't afford to do recognized events.
    That's not meant as a brag; I know I have a long way to go before I've "done it all". But just because you haven't competed very much, or very high, doesn't neccessarily mean you're not experienced enough to do well.

Just my 2 cents.

ETA: eventerwannabe and someone else posted while I was still typing. If that's the case- that EW isn't experienced at eventing, and needs a packer type- then yes, I would consider whether or not the 9 y/o could help you out. If you think that you can handle competing and training a 4 y/o, then you really just need to decide which one you think you'd rather have, deep down.
    Last edited by talkofthetown; Sep. 30, 2008 at 03:27 PM. Reason: people posted before me

Default additional comment on my experience

My overall experience with horses: I've been riding since I was 12 and I'm now 34. I've only been jumping (well with guidance anyway) for about 4 years. Most of the horses I've ridden in the past have been pretty green. I've never had a 'made horse' before.

But on the flip side I'm 34 and I don't bounce as well as I use too

Thanks for your opinions so far!!!! I really appreciate all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by eventerwannabe View Post
    So far I have only competed at the prenovice level (up to 2 ft) and was getting ready to move up to BN before I lost my horse. My aspiration is to go at least Novice and maybe Training level if I get brave enough

Hands down....go with the 9 year old who has been eventing novice. Not even a question. He is doing the job you want and will be more than enough horse for you for a little while at least.

That said....I'm assuming that this horse has been doing novice successfully and well for some time. As in, he knows the job well. If he has only done one or two novices....well then, I'd say pass on them both.....or if you go with the 4 year old, have your trainner put a season or two competing on them first for you. I know that this isn't always possible for everyone...and it wasn't what I did....but I do think it is the best way if you can. You want one of the partners (either horse or rider) to know their job.

Good luck!
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

When you look out your door in the morning, which one would you rather see looking back at you? I know you say you love them both, but c'mon I loved my collie more than my damnation, er dalmatian, and I loved them both.
    T3DE 2010 Pact Group
    Barefoot Eventers Clique
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2lkxcbn110.jpg

Without knowing how much maintaince the older horse will need, I would vote for going with him. Make sure though, that you try him out on banks, ditches and water if possible. You want a horse that will give you confidence as you learn the sport. Then as you gain experience, you can always upgrade to a fancier model that might be green. Maintaince is a small price to pay for the experience and confidence an older, more experienced horse will give you. Take it from someone who has rode babies the entire time. I would have given my eye teeth for something that could have taught me when I started out.

Bobbi
    Bobbi
    ~ Jus Passed My Zipper aka Spanky, 11yo QH gelding.
    ~ Muskogee, 2yo Oldenburg Colt.

Honestly, I can't say I have a real preference for either. If I had unlimited time and money I'd take them both.
    That's what's making this decision so hard. I feel that no matter which one I pick I'm always going to wonder if I made the right choice.

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

I am with GotSpots & Janet on going with the 9y.o that has ALREADY done Novice.

What more could you want? A great horse to show you the ropes at BN & Novice and I bet he could go Training in a few years when you are ready.

I moved my palomino successfully up to Prelim at the age of 16, so age is not really an issue.

As far as the 9 y.o's 'maintanence', joint supplements are "not a big deal", heck I keep all my guys on Cosequin whether they are 4 or 24.

Go with the 9yo and go out there and have a blast, no worries about whether he will be freaky about water or ditches, you already know he is a rockstar about them.
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

Ride them both again and buy the one that's the most fun to ride. That's what counts the most to me.

Don't buy the 4 y.o. without trying him outside the ring. You have no idea if he'll be bold out there or not -- being willing in the ring is not a good barometer.

I'd vote for the 9 yo, too. Learning how to be an effective xc rider is tough, even for someone who is an experienced rider -- best not to try to learn while teaching a greenie the ropes. If he's stiff coming out of his stall...simple solution...don't keep him in one. My horse with arthritic hocks got dramatically better when I was able to transition him from a stall to full time out. It's cheaper, and they are happier, for the most part.
    The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man