The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Powerpac worming question

Getting ready to order powerpacs and I have a question. In the past, I have always used Safeguard instead of Panacur because I've always managed to get it a little cheaper. This year I'm trying to further economize and I'm wondering I can make 5 powerpacs work for 6 animals.

One animal is an approx 300lb. 12h small pony. Then I have 3 large ponies. One is pushing the limit so she'll definitely get the whole thing along with the 2 horses, but the other 2 are probably in the range of 700-800 lbs. One slightly less, one slightly more (1/2 QH). Can I share a little of theirs with the small pony? How would you work this? The double tubes say to treat up to 1100 lbs.

I wasn't sure what "share a little of theirs" meant Don't underdose by any means.

If you go with liquid fenbendazole from www.agri-med.com you can economize even further.
    http://www.agri-med.com/site/255063/product/SFEGRD125

4.6mL/100lb That's 14mL for the 300lb, 37mL for the 800lb, 46mL for a 1000lb horse, etc. That's the "double dose" for each day (single dose is 2.3mL/100lb).

By doing that calculation to see how much each animal needs for the 5 days total (ie the 300lb pony needs 14*5=70mL total) you can figure out how many mL TOTAL of liquid fen you need, and then can order enough bottles to get that. For the above 3 horses, you're at 485 total mL, which is 4 bottles of the 125mL liquid. That's $62 (+shipping). You can do the rest of the math

Well, for most of mine, I have always given the full dose. My 2 horses and lg pony mare are both 1,000+ lbs. Last year when I powerpac'ed my yearling, she was roughly 750 lbs and the vet advised me to give the full tubes, so I have always done the same with my tanky large pony gelding. I've never powerpac'ed a small pony (or the small lg. pony we have this year). As I've always double dosed Strongid in the spring, and been told some triple dose, I've never worried so much about that. I usually give the small pony womer for about 400 lbs when doing ivermectin, etc.

I will look into the liquid...never done that before. Do you just top dress feed? I have a couple hard to worm ponies so I'm not sure I want to syringe liquid..I feel certain we'll waste and make a mess.

I never really worried so much about overdosing the common wormers but thanks for the heads up...I'll do the math. I guess this was really a silly question now that I read it. Too early...

Yes, top dress the liquid - doesn't seem to taste at all. If you run into trouble the first day, add whatever flavoring you need to.

Here's a decent way to calculate the weight more accurately than a tape
    http://www.gaitedhorses.net/Articles/horseweight.html

It's basically ( (heartgirth x heartgirth x length ) / 300 ) + 50

Thanks JB for not making fun of me! I have alot of blonde moments before my morning coffee. That helps alot!

This is going to sound stupid- but why don't more people know about this, and take advantage of the liquid form? Seems like a no-brainer to me being that it is cheaper and easier. Why isn't it marketed for horses in this form? I know there are dewormers out there that are, but why not liquid fenbendazole?

Quote Originally Posted by myhorsefaith View Post
    This is going to sound stupid- but why don't more people know about this, and take advantage of the liquid form? Seems like a no-brainer to me being that it is cheaper and easier. Why isn't it marketed for horses in this form? I know there are dewormers out there that are, but why not liquid fenbendazole?
    Why would it be? Both Intervet (Panacur) and Durvet (Safeguard) make a BOATLOAD of money on their "power pack" products.

Cattle people are not willing to spend nearly the money that we are. If either company priced their cattle wormer at the same level as their horse wormer, they would not sell any cattle wormer.

It's up to us to be savvy consumers and research all options.

Because the average owner, and heck, the average BM/BO, doesn't usually have a clue as to what chemicals they are actually using. They know they use Equimax, or Panacur, or Safeguard, they by the things labeled for horses and follow (mostly) the directions on the label. They have no idea that their Safeguard is a 10% fenbendazole paste, therefore have no hope of realizing an alternative when they see it.

The same thing applies to other products for hroses/cattle. go to Tractor Supply and buy the probios paste for horses a tube will cost you about the same as a tube for cattle which is THREE TIMES the amount for horses! Same exact product but you get three times as much for about the same cost. Well worth reseraching when buying products to see if active ingredients and % are the same across different types of animal products.

Sorry for the dumb question but I cant seem to find a label of both online. Would
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_34539_-1______14602|14625|34539?listingPage=true&Special= false
    also work for horses? I just see that it is available at Tractor Supply so I could just pick it up. Thanks!

Good gravy! Never mind Ok, last question I promise! How about the goat one? I really wish TSC would put more info on their products online!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...ategoryDisplay

Sorry, my math was wrong. To use the pellets, you would have to feed about 2.5 pounds of the 0.5% pellets per day per 1200 lbs of horse to powerpac.

Well, I certainly learned that I can be saving a boatload of cash Thank you!

Has anyone used this liquid stuff and mixed it in their feed? Did they eat it all up?

Thanks!

I have used the liquid. I was nervous b/c a couple of the retirees boarded here tend to strongly object to changes in feed but to my amazement they ate their feed plus their top-dressed liquid wormer with no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by kelser01 View Post
    Good gravy! Never mind Ok, last question I promise! How about the goat one? I really wish TSC would put more info on their products online!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...ategoryDisplay
    Given that it's
    Contains 10% Fenbendazole for the removal and control of stomach worms in goats. Dosage is 2.3 ml per 100 lbs. of body weight.
    Yes, it's the same thing. 10% fenbendazole. Just remember the "power pack" is double dosing for 5 days - 4.6mL/100lb for each of 5 days.

FWIW, it's cheaper at agri-med, though you'd have to figure in shipping to see if overall it's cheaper. I just ordered 5 of the 125mL bottles, and shipping was a bit under $9, but the product itself was, I think, $15.50. That does make the agri-med product a little more per bottle, assuming the TSC bottle is also 125mL, which I cannot tell from their site.

I did try to syringe the stuff in the first day. Yeah, that didn't work well They ate it without hesitation in their food.

Has anyone used this liquid stuff and mixed it in their feed? Did they eat it all up?
    Yes and yes This is one of the things that makes me feel so smart - Thanks COTH!
    Y'all ain't right!

If you want to save money then buy the really big tubes made for cattle that you use with a caulking gun. the directions for how much per weight is on the tube, cattle and horses are the same. Just insert the really big tip into the pony/horse mouth and count the clicks. Big time savings and you know you are getting the entire dose into the horse.

chicamuxen

Dang, days like these when I find awesome info, I realize how stupid I've been (and will continue to be) for so long.

Thanks for the info. Its liquid febenzadole from here on out!

Anyone know what kind of a shelf life the large tubes have after they are opened?
    Last edited by kelser01; Sep. 30, 2008 at 04:45 PM.

Default re-use old dewormer paste tubes.

You can re-use the paste dewormer tubes if you buy in bulk. Or simply mix the dewormer with some oats/ grain / pellets and molasses.

I've saved some Ivercare dewormer tubes. They have the extra large handle... but for the fendbendazoles you'll need the LARGE dewormer paste tubes (the fat ones).

I keep several around in case I need to "inject" crushed bute & peppermints or something else.