The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Are you sure? I feel pretty sure that kimberwickes are not a traditional type of hunter bit. I HAVE seen people penalized for using them. In fact, the reason I use and eggbutt is that my pony was broke Western and went in a kimberwicke and we switched him out BECAUSE we didn't want to be dinged for the kimberwicke.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    BEFORE rust.
    In the days of CANARY britches.

I loved my canary breeches! I was about 9 years old and LOVED them!

Okay, CANARY. You have me beat. I missed canary altogether.
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Are you sure? I feel pretty sure that kimberwickes are not a traditional type of hunter bit. I HAVE seen people penalized for using them. In fact, the reason I use and eggbutt is that my pony was broke Western and went in a kimberwicke and we switched him out BECAUSE we didn't want to be dinged for the kimberwicke.
    Well, yeah. They aren't traditional but they are legal. Eggbutt's are LEGAL and Conventional. They wouldn't make a distinction between the two if there wasn't a reason. No self-respecting judge is going to mark down for that- not if they want to be hired again.

Although it makes me wonder what they'd do with a full bridle.

I thought the way the rules were written any bit under the sun is legal, but a judge can also penalize for "non-traditional" bits. So there aren't any illegal bits. Not truly illegal.

I have seen a judge send a message to a competitor to ditch a kimberwicke (in NJ) and I have seen a horse not pinned going in one (in GA, several times). At different shows, different judges, different classes. I guess it somewhat depends on the division/suitability/judge preference but I have seen a kimberwicke penalized.
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I thought the way the rules were written any bit under the sun is legal, but a judge can also penalize for "non-traditional" bits. So there aren't any illegal bits. Not truly illegal.
    What my early-morning inability to type means is that Kimberwicke is Untraditional, Eggbutt is Traditional (falls under the snaffle, pelham, full bridle grouping). Why make a distinction between the two if they won't be judged differently?

Gotcha. I was misunderstanding you.
    ~Veronica

Portia,
    I assume this is for the Katy show and I assume your horse will go in some sort of greenie class..so yes an eggbutt is fine for that.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by Portia View Post
    I know that dee rings are what is in fashion, but is a judge in the hunter ring going to look askance at an eggbutt? We have a d-ring Pessoa magic relaxation bit for my guy that he goes great in, but the top of the D rubs his cheeks and an eggbutt presumably won't. Thanks.
    Most hunter judges will find an eggbutt perfectly acceptable. It is not in the same class as a kimberwicke or myler, which are almost always penalized.

If you like the way the horse goes in the d-ring pessoa magic bit, though, you might just want to get a different size. I found going up a tiny bit (from a 5" to 5 1/2") did the trick for mine. Just a thought.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Portia is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks all. I knew it wasn't illegal, but fashion seems to be remarkably important in the hunter world.

Blinky, yes, it's for Katy. Young Dheacon really wants to be a hunter and we're going along with him -- especially since I too am of an age to remember canary breeches.

Lucassb, he's already in the largest we can find (the 5 1/4). In fact, we thought about going down to the 5 inch instead, since that would place the D closer to his cheek and possibly it would not be as likely to twist so that the top point of the D rubs as it does now.

Since he was able to pin very well at a rated show in his first pre-greens going in a Myler with hooks (Horrors!) I guess we can take the chance with an eggbutt.

But can we get away with the comfortable-and-brown-but-not-leather Soft Touch girth?
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

If you can't make the D work, then the eggbutt is fine to use, but part of the reason no one uses them is that they don't do much for anything's head. The idea is to make the horse look as attractive as possible, and an eggbutt just isn't dressy.

But can we get away with the comfortable-and-brown-but-not-leather Soft Touch girth?
    I love that girth.

Seems to me, many moons ago, loose ring snaffles were the "thing" and didn't some BNR , can't remember who, ride with HUGE loose rings! I too remember canary breeches and ratcatcher shirts with the ties that came with them!

Since he was able to pin very well at a rated show in his first pre-greens going in a Myler with hooks (Horrors!) I guess we can take the chance with an eggbutt.
    I've been playing around with bits to see what my horse and I could both agree with (make him happy but have the brakes I need when I need them). We both LOVE the Myler D-Ring slow twist with copper roller in the middle w/o hooks. So are Myler bits not legal or considered unconventional? I dabble in Eventing too so I know this bit is fine for SJ and XC but was hoping to be able to use it in Hunters too.

LSM, you're good to go, it's just the hooks that are unconventional.

If it has no hooks, no one can tell it's a Myler from the outside (and it isn't really any different than any other random mouthpiece D-ring that someone else is riding in). I wouldn't consider a no-hooks Myler unconventional.

There's always a lot of discussion about the 'rules'. While it's simply stated, I find the rule to be confusing. Per usef.org, rule HU117:

"Regulation snaffles, pelhams and full bridles, all with cavesson nose bands, are recommended. A judge may penalize for non-conventional types of bits or nosebands."

What's odd is that I can't find a definition of a 'regulation' snaffle, pelham or full bridle. Additionally, it's truly up to the judge's discretion as to what constitutes conventional.

If your horse goes well in his eggbutt and it looks nice on his head, go for it.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

I showed my hunter in an eggbutt and did just fine.

I personally would rather see that then what could be hidden behind the d-ring...
    But its no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then

-alice in wonderland

I think everyone is using those girths now days so you are fine!!

Are you going to be in Katy this week? I am headed over tomorrow. New pony arrives!! We really need to have a COTH meet up. Portia and Blinky, please come say hi!
    My Pictures! http://community.webshots.com/user/estieg12
    *Harbour Town* 2002 Hanoverian gelding "Otto"
    *Sahalee* 2002 mare "Flower" but who knows what breed she is!

Aw, I think little Stoney looks CUTE in his eggbutt and that it does flatter his face. Big ole round cheek, round eye, round eggbutt...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...ent=stoney.jpg

I feel like big D rings would overwhelm his face and be disproportionate to his cheek. I guess I am just used to seeing him in an eggbutt.
    ~Veronica