The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Class personified. One of my heroes...RIP
    Last edited by mroades; Sep. 27, 2008 at 09:56 PM. Reason: cause hero doesnt rhyme with cheerio...lol
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I lived right around the corner from him in Westport for 8 years. Often saw him at the corner market with Joanne....and he was always pleasant, funny and a real gentleman. And STILL gorgeous! What a sad loss.....I had enormous admiration for the amazing works they did with Hole In The Wall, etc......

The world is a lesser place now without Paul. Rest in Peace
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Sep. 28, 2008 at 09:20 AM. Reason: reference to deleted material

My mother was Clea's first grade teacher.

Both Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward did "playground duty" with the other parents when they were in town.

We (my mother and I) had lunch with him at the school picnic- we talked about car racing.

RIP
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Cool Hand Luke, Hud, Butch Cassidy, Slap Shot(!)...I am not big on movies and actors but Paul Newman was the exception. While me friends were busy drooling over teen heart-throbs I had pictures of Paul Newman on my walls. The most perfectly beautiful man ever created and yet his physical beauty paled in comparison to the amazing soul he possessed.
    Godspeed Paul.

[edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Sep. 28, 2008 at 09:20 AM. Reason: reference to deleted material
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

We have a lost a true gentleman today. The world is sadder today but richer for all that he gave.

We will miss you Mr. Newman

Godspeed Mr. Newman. You will always be remembered.

A friend sent me the story below just couple weeks ago and while it gave me a chuckle, it also reminded me of the time I actually did get to meet him, and what a class act both he and Joanne are. And I remember to this day how giddy I felt in being in his presence.

........ the email......
    Only women of a certain era will fully appreciate this.... True story.

(If you don't understand this,tell your mother, she'll get it!)

A Michigan woman and her family were vacationing in a small New England town wherePaul Newman and hisfamily often visited.

One Sunday morning, the woman got up early to take a long walk. After a brisk five-mile hike,she decided to treat herself to a double-dip chocolate ice cream cone.

She hopped in the car, drove to the center of the village and went straight to the combination bakery/ice cream parlor.

There was only one other patron in the store:
    Paul Newman, sitting at the counter having a doughnut and coffee.

The woman's heart skipped a beat as her eyes made contact with those famous baby-blue eyes.

The actor nodded graciously and the star struck woman smiled demurely.

Pull yourself together! She chides herself. You're a happily married woman with three children,you're forty-five years old, not a teenager!

The clerk filled her order and she took the double-dip chocolate ice cream cone in one hand and her change in the other. Then she went out the door, avoiding even a glance in Paul Newman's direction.

When she reached her car, she realized that she had a handful of change but her other hand was empty. Where's my ice cream cone? Did I leave it in the store? Back into the shop she went, expecting to see the cone still in the clerk's hand or in a holder on the counter or something! No ice cream cone was in sight..

With that, she happened to look over at Paul Newman.

His face broke into his familiar,warm,friendly grin and he said to the woman,

'You put it in your purse.'
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

Quote Originally Posted by Reds-n-Greys View Post

'You put it in your purse.'
    That's a great story! I hope he got some entertainment out of a lifetime of interactions like that.

Condolences to his family. He obviously passed on his philanthropic spirit to his children.

Godspeede Mr. Newman. You are a class act. This man was married to his wife for 50 years. When someone wanted him to stray he said, "I have a steak at home, why would I go out for hamburger".

More women and men could learn a lesson from this lovely fellow. Call me old fashioned.

A true gentleman.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

We've removed the initial completely inappropriate comment from this thread and are addressing the poster accordingly.

While we understand some of the reaction to that statement, we've removed the resulting political and other commentary made in response in order to refocus the thread. Back to the main topic.

Thanks,
    Mod 1

Paul Newman was a wonderful human being who loved his family, and helped many people in his extended human family all over the world. He died after a long busy life doing what he loved and died with family and friends around him, and if it's true that you aren't actually gone as long as you are remembered then he will live forever in his movies, through the charities he supported, and in the hearts of many. God Speed.

What a first class gentlemen. One of the greats this world has known. It is so sad to hear of his passing, but what a valuable legacy he has left behind. Enjoy your eternal rest Mr. Newman.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Here's to a Life Well-Lived

He gave more than he got.

Thank you for sharing with us, RIP

My favorite Newman movie: Sweet Bird of Youth
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

A true gentleman in every sense of the word. He's now at peace.
    <)__~~
    <\ <\,,
    The delicate and exquisite horse is itself a work of art.

We raced in the same class that Paul did, back in the 80's. He was always a nice guy and a good driver, and it sure brightened up the false grid to have Paul Newman walking around!

I always admired the grace with which he lived his life and admired that he was able to be a normal guy in spite of his film success. He was definately an asset to many, many lives.

Default yes, a great horse show dad..

I remember a tv sports/news clip of a show in Madison Sq Garden back in the 70s or 80s when a rider fell off her horse at a fence. Gasp from the crowd as she lay still and then lickety-split, over the rail (probably from the box seats) jumps a man who races to kneel at her side..

Commentator identified the man as Paul Newman and that black-and-white image of a concerned father from decades ago was the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard he had passed away..

virginia
    athens, ga.