The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SaddlersRow View Post
    I went to Murray State, I so wanted to take Buster with me when I graduated. Are Daisy and Uno (his sister and brother) both still there? And do you guys still use Jackson for jump practice? I taught him to jump as my Advanced Forward Seat project, he was a cutting horse before that...
    Daisy retired this summer and I never met Uno, so he left at least three years ago. Carmelita also retired this summer. Jackson, on the other hand, is still trucking around jump practice, taking the crazy long spots, and being his awesome self. He's the confidence booster everyone wants to ride and a PACKER at shows.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronIntern View Post
    When I was at Nationals this past May I rode a really great grey warmblood named Lux. I don't remember where he was from (Stanford, perhaps?) but he was wonderful and tons of fun to jump.

I also loved Clifford from Cornell and Guy from Morrisville.

Oh! And Rise N' Shine from Centenary, even though I never rode him during my IHSA career, I rode him for a year as a junior before he was donated, and he was awesome!
    Lux is from Stanford! I don't go there but I'm from the area and he's a favorite of one of my friends on their team
    "Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride."
    Proud Member of the "OMFG I've been Banned" clique.

Short enough to ride ponies but old enough to be in law school. What a life.

Fav VI rides who have gone over the bridge: Campari, Stretch, and DJ.

Other favorites: Prima (her name isn't Miss Perfect for nothing ), Ludwig, Painten, and Saranac.

and there was a St. Andrews ride that was a great guy. His name was Fred (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by findthedistance View Post
    Daisy retired this summer and I never met Uno, so he left at least three years ago. Carmelita also retired this summer. Jackson, on the other hand, is still trucking around jump practice, taking the crazy long spots, and being his awesome self. He's the confidence booster everyone wants to ride and a PACKER at shows.
    I was going to ask about Carmelita, too. She could be such a twit sometimes but I still loved her. I know a few people who really liked Uno so I'm thinking he probably went home with one of them at some point.

Aww, I'm so proud of my little Jackson! When we first started I had a slightly different (although similar sounding) nickname for him...

Most of the time we rode at Jack Benson's Old Briarwood-I had a couple of favorites: one was Tiffany-grey mare awesome horse-dropped my outside stirrup said the "s"word just as I was passing the judge Jeff Ayers-Tiff never missed a beat and Jeff I heard giggling to himself. Still won the class. But my best ride was PJ who was a saint and had been used in sooo many classes that day but still gave me 100 percent.
    I used to ride at the Briarwood shows with UD. I remember PJ! I think I drew him in my second show ever (walk/trot, of course). And he was a saint.

Didn't Briarwood used to have a one-eyed gray that did the over-fence classes?

I'm a Z5,R1 alumni. I showed all four of my undergrad years, and this is my second year in the alumni classes.

I don't think I got to ride Buster, but I remember getting a 2nd on Daisy in a Novice flat class where she fell right on her face/knees at the canter, got back up, and kept going like nothing had happened. I had an *interesting* western class on Carmelita once, but she was very comfortable. My favorite MSU horses were Picasso and Valiant (RIP).

Other favorites from the region for me were Charlie (HC super pony that Vandy used), Webster from Sewanne (RIP), Spottie - of course - from Sewanee, Bill the Haflinger from Maryville, and Hypnotized at WKU.

One of my most enjoyable Western rides happened when I drew a former Congress Queen horse at MTSU whose owner was the announcer. I literally only had to steer in that class - the mare would hear her owner say "jog," "lope," etc., and do it without me even asking!
    Last edited by Montanas_Girl; Sep. 26, 2008 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by SaddlersRow View Post
    MTSU used to have a big, slab-sided bay named Broadway who was the love of my life, and the ONE time in four years that I actually drew him o/f I LOST A STIRRUP!! So sad, it was the second to last fence and we had the class all but wrapped up until then. I think he started having back problems towards the end of my IHSA days; I don't know if they even have him anymore...

I just graduated from MTSU and they still have Broadway. He does a little bit of jumping still, but he's not quite reliable for over fences at shows anymore. They still use him at shows on the flat though, but he is getting a little aged.

And it's funny that everyone loves Owen. I never really did click with that horse. I mean, I can ride him around fine on the flat and over fences and have fun, but I completely fall apart when I'm trying to equitate on him. Last year he was a draw in my class at regionals and I was just hoping I wouldn't get him and I didn't. He is however, pretty fun to watch.

My favorite IHSA horse is now is my mare that I just donated, Mona. She's a bay TB who when frustrated or bored especially while warming up will just groan at you. She was used at a few shows last year, including Zones and I know she qualified some people for Nationals on the flat. She's just awesome and, of course, I've never did draw her at any of the shows last season.
    Medicine is the best medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Montanas_Girl View Post
    I
    One of my most enjoyable Western rides happened when I drew a former Congress Queen horse at MTSU whose owner was the announcer. I literally only had to steer in that class - the mare would hear her owner say "jog," "lope," etc., and do it without me even asking!
    I think I remember that mare. Her name is Chrissy, right?
    I got to warm her up at the western show as a freshman who had never really ridden Western before. She was fun, but I wish I could ride her again after showing Western for the team.
    Medicine is the best medicine.

VI: Paintn, Prima, Campari (RIP)

VI always had the best horses!

UNCG: Ellen's Pony 'Smokin in the Boys Room'
    WCU: Boomer (cause she was mine!)
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

horsecrazy,

Aww. You really loved Stix and Keltie?! Thank you. Stix has crossed over but Kelt is still going strong.

Pokey,

I sent you a pm but I cant help but wonder if the buckskin pony wasnt my pony Bucky. He was a fantastic pony and put in a lot of amazing trips. Very cold backed as well.

I am going to through out Little Beau for anyone that every rode at an IHSA show at UMD. Talk about a seeing eye dog and he was loved dearly by my family.
    Last edited by Laguna; Sep. 26, 2008 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seeuatx View Post
    Fav VI rides who have gone over the bridge: Campari, Stretch, and DJ.

Other favorites: Prima (her name isn't Miss Perfect for nothing ), Ludwig, Painten, and Saranac.

and there was a St. Andrews ride that was a great guy. His name was Fred (I think).

Yup Fred! Still going strong!

From UMD- Styx was the best! He was so much fun to ride.
    Also Chateau, the little grey pony, was wonderful as well!

Default Zone 4 Region 3 Riders

I heard from T. McDonald today that the legendary Luminary taught his final lesson at Virginia Tech today and will begin life in retirement tomorrow.

Lumi has been a member of the Virginia Tech riding program for just about his whole life and did everything asked of him including competing in the 1st Years at Roanoke, doing hunt teams at the VI Classic (once in a devil costume!), participating in countless IHSA and IDA horse shows, and even teaching the beginner walk trot lessons in his later years. He wasn't always the easiest draw at the shows but everyone always stopped to watch the big flashy chestnut warmblood with all the chrome.

Lumi will be missed and the program won't be the same without him! He's new job in life is to be a loveable pasture ornament at the farm of a Virginia Tech Equestrian Alumni.

I remember Chateau AND Little Beau. Chateau was lovely to hack. Little Beau was a packer.

Laguna - are you Emmie's daughter by chance?

Yes - I'm sure we're talking about the same Bucky. I don't remember him being cold backed...I remember him being head shy.

Beau, Fendi, and Princess from UMD. And didn't all three of them do the english and western shows on the same day?

I can't remember if it was Prince or Hatterus from Goucher...very tall bay horse... anyway, they brought him to W&M, I drew him over fences, and he was like a very spooky freight train We were in a full out gallop to the last fence and I figured I'd just point him at it and hope we could stop afterwards

Next week was regionals at Goucher, and I pull him AGAIN for flat and fences! He trucked me around the course like a pro, and then we won our flat class. Guess he just didn't like W&M

Goodness, I haven't been gone from PSU that long and it sounds like they got in an entire new stable of horses!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Goodness, I haven't been gone from PSU that long and it sounds like they got in an entire new stable of horses!
    Which ones do you remember? I've been going to PSU IHSA shows for awhile now, so I might know some of them.

And the old junior horse at Dickinson is named Sprout. Absolute NICEST horse I've ever drawn.
    Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine - Class of 2014

Chance Encounter
    RIP Tall Tales

Dorrie, who I *always* rode in lessons. I know she's still there.

Lovely bay QH named Socks, just sweet as pie.

Little chestnut roan pony named Sparkles (Sprinkles? I think she was Sparkles).

Bay snowflaky appy, blanking on his name but it was something like Frosty-- something having to do with snow. I rode him a lot too, dunno WHY I can't remember his name.

A slew of nice chestnuts: Berry, Mac, Eli, Irish (Irish once had a MELTDOWN at an IHSA show and it was the first time I had ever seen a horse go from totally normal to freakout like that)

Fritz- giant warmblood (everyone was so impressed when he came)

Gray TB type named Sebastian

Hershey, older QH with practically no teeth who would BITE you HARD if you let your guard down for half a second in any context. I was always amazed every time this horse was alive when I came to the barn. I don't know how old he actually was but he seemed older than old to me at the time.

Star bay skinny horse they got from the auction. Also very prone to biting. Didn't seem to like people or life. One semester we had a "grooming contest" and we got Star. He hated all the grooming and attention. We won, I think because it was the starkest contrast between before and after. He was a WRECK when he came in.

Arrow, little baby chestnut arab cross? Maybe crossed with QH. At the time, little in the way of breaks.

Sometimes one of the English profs let the team her nice horse Cocoa (Hot Rum Toddy)

Ah... I can't believe I can't remember more. It was years ago but it feels like it was yesterday, in some ways.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

QUOTE] bet it was Moki. Hairy. 4 white socks. A wonderful horse. In his day if I recall correctly he was one of Col Kitts personal horses- and a king of the dressage ring[/QUOTE]

Yup that was him! He was very sweet but good lord! My legs were sooo tired from legging him on!