The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I rode with the University of Ottawa team last year, one of the only Canadian teams in the IHSA. One of the best years ever!

I drew an old, black, thoroughbred pony at Lehman Farms once (NY state, I dont know which region/zone) his name was Magic and he was the cutest thing on the planet. I was a little worried though, being 5'8" with long legs. But I got on and jacked my stirrups up, then We simple changed our way around the course, and won it. He is my favourite pony!

Quote Originally Posted by piaffequeen View Post
    I. Another favorite was Wilson COllege Oki (I think) this horse went the same speed ALL THREE GAITS! Its really embarassing (or a hoot)when you have everyone from all the schools clicking to get your horse to move! Back then we were allowed to carry crops only. No Spurs.
    I bet it was Moki. Hairy. 4 white socks. A wonderful horse. In his day if I recall correctly he was one of Col Kitts personal horses- and a king of the dressage ring.
    "Lighten up, Francis." -Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by horserider12 View Post
    yup, duke, he was a great horse, just passed away two years ago and yes he was from stony brook. !
    Awwwwwww thanks for sharing that! PM sent!
    "Lighten up, Francis." -Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by LearnToFly View Post
    Is he that really big grey?? He's AWESOME!

Murray State has a bay QH named Buster that is a ROCK STAR.
    Yep, the big grey. He really is the best.

I'm at MSU, and Buster makes me so happy. He's had a couple weeks off, and has been quite exuberant. A couple weeks in a stall, and he likes to catch some air, with or without jumps underneath.

UMass:

1. Snickers
    2. Bear

MHC:
    1. Libby
    2. Selena
    3. That HUUUUGE fellow who goes in a gag?
    4. Hayden
    "Sir, I think you have a problem with your brain being missing." - Zoe

Gloryeyes- The huge fellow in the gag is probably Colbert! He is sooo slow, but very point and shoot. I love him. Selena is awesome too, she reminds me of a My Little Pony lol.

ef80 - regarding Oregon, I have absolutely no idea. Maryland was my home school, and Oregon was my exchange school - I was only there 2 quarters, and that was...spring 1995 I think. I was under the impression that they were a VERY new club team. We had no official barn, and no official trainer. I think there were maybe only eight of us (give or take).

When I went to Oregon, I hadn't ridden in several years, but the girls on the team thought that since I was an east coast rider doing the open, that I'd be their ringer. I kept telling them that wasn't the case. I rode twice at some local trainers barn, then went to the first horse show and fell off at the second fence.

I second Hayden at Mount Holyoke!

ChronIntern Guest

When I was at Nationals this past May I rode a really great grey warmblood named Lux. I don't remember where he was from (Stanford, perhaps?) but he was wonderful and tons of fun to jump.

I also loved Clifford from Cornell and Guy from Morrisville.

Oh! And Rise N' Shine from Centenary, even though I never rode him during my IHSA career, I rode him for a year as a junior before he was donated, and he was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by lcbaker View Post
    Gloryeyes- The huge fellow in the gag is probably Colbert! He is sooo slow, but very point and shoot. I love him. Selena is awesome too, she reminds me of a My Little Pony lol.
    Oh yeah, it is Colbert! I loved the day our 5' rider drew him. Haaaa!
    Last edited by gloryeyes; Sep. 26, 2008 at 08:58 AM. Reason: grammar :)

Attaboy at MHC! How could I forget him?

I remember a time when my team mate drew a huge app at Goucher one year. Her trip was going okay but she was so so slloooowww. Probably at her 3 line she jumped in and the app stoped mid jump and had his front legs on one side and his back on the other side. She just sat there on him looking down trying to figure out what to do!!! It was priceless. She finally had to scream out..."Do I kick him or what do I do??" They had to take apart the jump... It was the most hillarious thing I had ever seen!

And my favorite horse was a little bay pony at Sweet Briar. I don't remember his name but I loved this pony! I got him for the flat and over fences. I told my trainer I wished we had a trailer because he would have gone missing that day!

I have a few good stories.

(One of those 'oops' moments Regionals, 1999: I got all my points for Open Flat, and was thrilled to be at regionals. There were around 20 riders who had qualified that year, so they split us up into heats. I made it to the final round, and drew a horse I knew was incredibly comfortable to ride.. something you'd want for a long trail ride, but you really had to work to post! Michael Page was judging, and I was crossing everything I could (while still looking good, of course.. haha) that I'd do well with him again. Well, second direction, I was feeling great, we start to trot, and I see Michael throw his forehead into the palm of his hand (one of those 'DOH'! type motions..) I looked down, and I was on the WRONG DIAGONAL. Too late now! hahaa So I rode the rest, hop down, trainer gives me the evil eye of death, my mom comes over, and we just start laughing Never made that mistake again...

Nationals in 2000: Waiting by the ring ready for class. Can't find my mount anywhere. Getting nervous. Everyone gets mounted. More nervous. People walk in the ring. About to soil myself I'm getting so nervous. But then around the corner comes this cute bay, almost trotting out of the hands of the small girl holding on to him. I say a short prayer and hope for the best. We ended up reserve champion

Thumbs up My faves

Kelty & Stix from University of Maryland

Had...something? From Goucher. Big bay gelding, kind of travelled long and low, but a blast to ride. I keep wanting to say Hadfield but I know that's not right!

I'm one of those people who LOVED IHSA. I can honestly say I had fun on every horse I rode, and appreciated every horse for his/her uniqueness. Sure, I had to ride some that weren't easy to equitate on, but it's a learning experience!

Quote Originally Posted by horsecrazy View Post
    Kelty & Stix from University of Maryland

Had...something? From Goucher. Big bay gelding, kind of travelled long and low, but a blast to ride. I keep wanting to say Hadfield but I know that's not right!

I'm one of those people who LOVED IHSA. I can honestly say I had fun on every horse I rode, and appreciated every horse for his/her uniqueness. Sure, I had to ride some that weren't easy to equitate on, but it's a learning experience!

Hatteras maybe? He was a huge bay that I drew for alumni flat last year at the show at Garrison Forest. He was an awesome horse except I'm super short and looked like a leadliner on him.

Quote Originally Posted by gloryeyes View Post
    UMass:

1. Snickers
    2. Bear

MHC:
    1. Libby
    2. Selena
    3. That HUUUUGE fellow who goes in a gag?
    4. Hayden
    Awww, I rode Snickers! Had a great class, too!

I also remember a horse named Kat, I think at Smith - my first IHSA ride ever and I won the class, so a fond memory!

I actually never had a really bad horse showing in that region. I had horses I didn't "click" with, or just plain didn't ride well, and a couple that were tiiiiiiiiired and really really hard to keep going, but overall I got a lot of decent, nice horses who went around and did their thang while super-nervous me tried to hang on for the ride! Of course, I was showing Novice, so I probably didn't get the really "exciting" ones, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by lcbaker View Post
    Gloryeyes- The huge fellow in the gag is probably Colbert! He is sooo slow, but very point and shoot. I love him.
    I LOFF Colbert! He is my favourite MHC schoolie - unfortunately his lessor this summer loved him so much she decided to extend the lease through the semester, so he is not back with us , which is great for him but sad for me. Hayden also retired this year.

Aside from our own great schoolies, I must say that I love Milo from UMass and Jane from UVM.

I really love the IHSA (and IDA!) as well - it's been a blast to ride as a team and the whole experience has been very unique, but very fun.

Quote Originally Posted by findthedistance View Post
    Yep, the big grey. He really is the best.

I'm at MSU, and Buster makes me so happy. He's had a couple weeks off, and has been quite exuberant. A couple weeks in a stall, and he likes to catch some air, with or without jumps underneath.
    I went to Murray State, I so wanted to take Buster with me when I graduated. Are Daisy and Uno (his sister and brother) both still there? And do you guys still use Jackson for jump practice? I taught him to jump as my Advanced Forward Seat project, he was a cutting horse before that.

MTSU used to have a big, slab-sided bay named Broadway who was the love of my life, and the ONE time in four years that I actually drew him o/f I LOST A STIRRUP!! So sad, it was the second to last fence and we had the class all but wrapped up until then. I think he started having back problems towards the end of my IHSA days; I don't know if they even have him anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by SaddlersRow View Post
    I went to Murray State, I so wanted to take Buster with me when I graduated. Are Daisy and Uno (his sister and brother) both still there? And do you guys still use Jackson for jump practice? I taught him to jump as my Advanced Forward Seat project, he was a cutting horse before that.
    Buster was my first-ever over fences draw and I was scared out of my mind and he totally babysat.

He's the only horse I've drawn over fences at Murray State (3 times now) and we've never finished out of the ribbons! (3rd and 1st at the show this year!) Goodness, he's so fun
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

Quote Originally Posted by FarnleyGarnet View Post
    Hatteras maybe? He was a huge bay that I drew for alumni flat last year at the show at Garrison Forest. He was an awesome horse except I'm super short and looked like a leadliner on him.
    YES!!! It was Hatteras! He was just my style for an o/f draw - could kick him for the long spot I always see about, ohhh, three strides away

B/c he's somewhat downhill I don't think he'd be my first choice for the flat, but an awesome draw o/f.

I had a couple good ones at Mary Washington too, I just can't remember their names! I need to look at the back of all my old IHSA ribbons - I would always make a note of the horse's name and what I thought of it (obviously, the horses names on the back of the blue ribbons were good draws!)