The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Montanas_Girl View Post

Other favorites from the region for me were Charlie (HC super pony that Vandy used), Webster from Sewanne (RIP), Spottie - of course - from Sewanee, Bill the Haflinger from Maryville, and Hypnotized at WKU.

Charlie the Wonder Pony is currently retired at my farm. He says hi to all his old friends!

Quote Originally Posted by findthedistance View Post
    I am in love with Owen, an MTSU horse. Drew him the first time as a super-greenie, missed both leads, but he was just so much fun. Got him again at the end of the year and he was a whole different horse. Fabulous.
    I love Owen!! I won my novice flat class on him at Vandy last year, he's an awesome horse. :-)

Daisy retired this summer and I never met Uno, so he left at least three years ago. Carmelita also retired this summer. Jackson, on the other hand, is still trucking around jump practice, taking the crazy long spots, and being his awesome self. He's the confidence booster everyone wants to ride and a PACKER at shows.
    Oh oh and Carmelita too! She's the palamino, right?? lovedd her.

Quote Originally Posted by Monetary Unit View Post
    I think I remember that mare. Her name is Chrissy, right?
    I got to warm her up at the western show as a freshman who had never really ridden Western before. She was fun, but I wish I could ride her again after showing Western for the team.
    Yep, Chrissy! They had to call her "Chrissy CG", though, on the horse list because Sewanne was still bringing Western horses at that time, and one of their horses was named Chrissy.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    Charlie the Wonder Pony is currently retired at my farm. He says hi to all his old friends!
    I can't believe Charlie finally retired! I was lucky enough to draw him over fences two days in a row the first year that Vandy did a show on their own. At the time, I was still kind of nervous about the over fences part of IHSA, and Charlie just packed me around like it was no big deal. I think we were even like 3rd or 4th both days! Here's a photo of one of our trips (you can see that it wasn't me who earned those ribbons!):

http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.ph...41&id=52700902

It's a little scary how many horses I recognize in this thread! I spent my college career in love with Easy Chair, what a cutie! I think I drew him the first time I showed over fences in IHSA, and always thought he was the perfect draw. And I loved VI's other really quiet grey, Sheffield! I ALWAYS drew Campari, and adored him, I'm so sorry to hear he's gone. I rode at UNCG, Simon was our coach's daughter's pony, and he is still around and still going well. I miss Tyler, the "seeing eye dog" at UNCG. I know there were a lot of other Z4, R3 horses that I was in love with and just can't remember the names of right now. I have to say I didn't have a lot of bad draws in IHSA ever, some of my best memories are drawing a horse that had stopped at a fence in the previous class and thrown a girl, at TOC, and then coming in 2nd, and then drawing a narcoleptic horse at next year's TOC.

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
    Aside from our own great schoolies, I must say that I love Milo from UMass and Jane from UVM.
    Milo!!!

I drew him over fences once - what a sweetheart. I think we put twelve strides in a six stride line, but no matter...
    "Sir, I think you have a problem with your brain being missing." - Zoe

jumpslikeadeer Guest

I always had the BEST draws at Murray, I looked forward to that show so much! Carmelita was my absolute favorite! I drew her two years in a row, and the second year it was like all my nerves just disappeared. She was PERFECT!

Didn't Murray also have a really big, kinda young, drafty paint gelding that was awesome? I can't remember his name, but I drew him on the flat and he was fabulous.

Charlie from Vandy was great too, I rode him as a backup once when my draw got pulled. He had been sitting in his stall all day and hadn't been warmed up in a really long time. They told me he was 30, and I thought he was gonna be a deadhead, but he bucked all the way around my beginning circle and was perfect from then on! I was so nervous, and it's like he knew exactly how loosen me up a little!

Sad that him and Carmelita are both retired now...

Yay for MHC's Hayden, he fully earned his retirement! I rode one in a medal at Centenary's tournament named King, he was PHENOMENAL. Also really enjoyed UMass's Jiffy in the o/f, a little less so in the flat

Default SKEETZ!

Quote Originally Posted by AreYouKidding View Post
    Yay for MHC's Hayden, he fully earned his retirement! I rode one in a medal at Centenary's tournament named King, he was PHENOMENAL. Also really enjoyed UMass's Jiffy in the o/f, a little less so in the flat
    I knew it was you! Did they finally retire Hayden? You know he was brought back from retirement after his colic surgery when I was a freshman? How's life at MHC. Have you found me a candidate for J term yet? How is the "crew": Selena, Dan, Libby, Jake, etc.... any newbies? I will be back for the spring semester, can't wait!
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna View Post
    horsecrazy,

Aww. You really loved Stix and Keltie?! Thank you. Stix has crossed over but Kelt is still going strong.

Laguna,

Yes, they were my faves! I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a natural eye for distance and the O/F was definitely my weakness (I was qualifying in Open Flat before I pointed out of Int. o/f!) but Stix and Keltie were two that I really enjoyed riding o/f and did pretty well on, too. If I remember correctly, Keltie was my first IHSA o/f draw and I was lucky enough to get him a couple more times in the following years. I rode Stix both days in one of UMD's two-day shows and I had a blast with him. I did hear that he had passed What a great horse, though. A lot of us are bringing up the names of some UMD horses, they were very good.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1985 View Post
    Yup Fred! Still going strong!

I wouldn't say that he's still going strong. I believe he is currently looking for a retirement home/on the verge of retirement. He's definitely up there in years and suffers from breathing problems. He's a great horse under saddle, but on the ground he ain't so sweet Great horse though who has certainly earned his retirement. Gumby, the horse mentioned in by the original poster was retired several years ago due to his soundness issues and lives with an alum of SAPC and is very spoiled. Interestingly enough, both of Fred and Gumby were donated by the same person.
    Suerte Hostage Crisis Survivor!

Does anyone at MHC know if Hayden found a retirement home yet? I know I saw an equine.com ad for him this summer. He is a really cool horse and I hope he finds a great place.

At Nationals in 2007 I rode a really cute bright bay horse named Dusty in the jumping part of the Cacchione. I think he was a Holsteiner (had a brand) and had a really big star and snip, but I can't remember what school he was from. I loved him!

I am in love with Owen, an MTSU horse. Drew him the first time as a super-greenie, missed both leads, but he was just so much fun. Got him again at the end of the year and he was a whole different horse. Fabulous.
    Owen the Big....he IS cool! I am a little biased toward Perchie crosses, tho...

Quote Originally Posted by Monetary Unit View Post
    My favorite IHSA horse is now is my mare that I just donated, Mona. She's a bay TB who when frustrated or bored especially while warming up will just groan at you. She was used at a few shows last year, including Zones and I know she qualified some people for Nationals on the flat. She's just awesome and, of course, I've never did draw her at any of the shows last season.
    Mona is great...I've seen her go in lessons several times and she looks like a lot of fun! Really nice mare.

Quote Originally Posted by flypony74 View Post
    Mona is great...I've seen her go in lessons several times and she looks like a lot of fun! Really nice mare.
    Glad you like her. Most of the students I've talked to tell me she's doing well. I still miss her though, but I doubt she'd want to live in my backyard in the city.
    Medicine is the best medicine.

Thanks again horsecrazy. I know Emmie would love to hear people are complimenting her ponies. Stix was actually my first IHSA flat ride at UR when CWM? co-hosted and because he was so good and fun to ride, my mom bought him for the program.

Hi Pokey,

Yes, I'm Emmie's youngest daughter, Trisha...

Definitely the same Bucky. You must have been there when all of my horses were showing and being used by the team. Im glad you have fond memories.
    Last edited by Laguna; Sep. 28, 2008 at 11:18 PM.

I rode a wonderful chestnut gelding at IHSA Nats in 2005. His name was Fellini and I think he was from VI? Anyway, I was just looking at the pictures and he was super cute flat and fences.

I also want to say while I never rode Taxi, the big Ap from Goucher, he was a sweet old boy and anyone that got him around a course of fences without him making you look silly- should get a pat on the back . As for Hatteras- another plug here. Great guy.

no no! Fellini is from Morrisville! We (Skidmore) brought him with us to Nationals along with our horses. He's such a star. I schooled him at Nationals and loved him.