The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default IHSA - Favorites

Since the "Worst Draws" thread is doing well and IHSA is just kicking off for the fall semester I thought it would be fun to hear about the good side of IHSA. It seems like we usually only talk about the drama and the bad draws but a lot of us have really fond memories of IHSA. I know I wouldn't trade my 4 years for the world!

Share which horses were your favorite draws, a great story about winning your class or qualifying for regionals, zones, nationals, etc. or a funny story about you and your teammates. Anything you can think of that is POSITIVE.

I'll say my absolute favorite draw was a large chestnut pony at St. Andrews (Zone 4 Region 3) named Gumby.

The horse list always said to do the simples and the ads but we just clicked and had no problem doing the distances and the changes. I drew this pony at least 4 times throughout Novice and Intermediate and won every class with him.

I drew him again at regionals for Intermediate Fences and was called back to test in 4th place. We nailed the hand gallop fence and finished 2nd. I remember at Zones I drew him again and they told me I was too big to ride him because there were 2 girls shorter than me in the class. I was devastated, redrew and got Ludwig (an awesome VI horse). Finished 3rd. I just know if I had gotten to ride little Gumby I would have been at Nationals. The best part was when the St. Andrews' coach came up to me afterwards and said, "Gumby really needed you today." The girl who was shorter than me did not have a good round with him.

Other favs were Kampari at Virginia Intermont (no longer alive), Oyster Pond at Hollins, and O'Toole at Virginia Tech.

Campari was the BEST at VIC. Other "bests" include Prima and Maloney.

At the shows that Penn State hosts, there is this large black pony named Jimmy. He is SO good that the only description for him is "cute pony" lol. I don't think anyone's never been first or second on him. If anyone wants a picture I have some. I adore this pony! Also, Dickinson's coach owns this old junior hunter...I completely forget his name though, I'll try to remember. He is absolutely amazing!
    Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine - Class of 2014

Chance Encounter
    RIP Tall Tales

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post

I loved Campari. I was also a fan of Albert.

My best IHSA draw was at UNC-G, where I got to ride a pony named Simon.
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

I am in love with Owen, an MTSU horse. Drew him the first time as a super-greenie, missed both leads, but he was just so much fun. Got him again at the end of the year and he was a whole different horse. Fabulous.

I have two favorites - one was a little buckskin pony named "Bucky" that was just a blast to ride. I drew him open O/F and had to ride him on an outside grass course (which I typically found intimidating) and had SO much fun.

The other was a bit warmblood type palomino. I was riding with the U of Oregon club team while I was out on an exchange program. He was the only good O/F draw that day for that school - all the others were sketchy. He was just fantastic, big step, responsive, easy, bold. I wanted to take him home. I also pulled a little paint dressage horse that day for the flat - talk about a lucky day! I think that was the only time I was ever highpoint rider for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    LOVED Prima. I remember Maloney but never got to ride him. Didn't Virginia Intermont have an older grey named Easy Chair? Or maybe it was Couch... something really comfy sounding... he always seemed to go around nicely.

I have to admit, I love our one pony. Smooth as glass and responds to the announcer's voice. I was asking to ride her all the time, and lo and behold at our home show I drew her and got my first IHSA blue!

As for other school's draws, I drew this kick ass dressage-y horse named Annie at Bethany College last year. She just responded well, collected, and was easy to sit.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I went to Virginia Tech, and I hated riding O'Toole! His canter was so uncomfortable, that it jarred my back every time I rode him. Although, I have to say, he was quite point and shoot and easy going.

I mentioned this on the other IHSA thread, but my favorite was Lucky at WVU. I'm sure there were others, but almost 7 years after graduation he is the one I remember most.

I was on the IUP team and I liked a lot of our horses at the time. Lucy and Hannah especially.

Quote Originally Posted by FarnleyGarnet View Post
    LOVED Prima. I remember Maloney but never got to ride him. Didn't Virginia Intermont have an older grey named Easy Chair? Or maybe it was Couch... something really comfy sounding...
    Yepp, good old Easy Chair. VI had him since he was something like 4 years old, and they retired him my senior year- 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by findthedistance View Post
    I am in love with Owen, an MTSU horse. Drew him the first time as a super-greenie, missed both leads, but he was just so much fun. Got him again at the end of the year and he was a whole different horse. Fabulous.
    Is he that really big grey?? He's AWESOME!

Murray State has a bay QH named Buster that is a ROCK STAR.
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    The other was a bit warmblood type palomino. I was riding with the U of Oregon club team while I was out on an exchange program. He was the only good O/F draw that day for that school - all the others were sketchy. He was just fantastic, big step, responsive, easy, bold. I wanted to take him home. I also pulled a little paint dressage horse that day for the flat - talk about a lucky day! I think that was the only time I was ever highpoint rider for the day.
    Does UOregon still have the majority of their riders with the local mule-trainer and others with the H/J trainers or have they localized at one barn? One of our big problems when I rode with them is that we were all so scattered.

Frisco, coppery chestnut Penn State, a dream.

Duke - Zone Finals, mid Long Island somewhere maybe Stonybrook?? 1990? 91? "16.2 needs crop" Prob from a SUNY school? Huge gorgeous bay. Finals were moved due to a huge rainstorm event in a rush somewhere indoors and there was 4" of standing water outside EVERYWHERE. It was a MAD scramble and half of the horses supposed to be in the show couldn't get there, trailers stuck in mud etc. I drew Duke for the next to last class of about 30 that day (and he'd been in each one I swear) and he was on his last brain cell by my class. (As was I after a VERY late night of making local townie boys at some nameless tres-non-private-women's-college-approved bar pronounce "Happaugge" for us again and again to fits of our laughter).

Poor Duke wanted me off at his first canter, spooked, bucked (I saw braids, ceiling, braids, ceiling, braids ceiling but didn't fall off) and the 2nd one I choked up on him so badly he barely took a step. I still got 4th of like 16. Thank you Saint Duke.
    "Lighten up, Francis." -Stripes

I went to Zones one year and neither one of my coaches came with me (it was my first time going). I was a total wreck being by myself (none of my team qualified) and so many girls there found out I was alone and really helped me out. My parents and aunt and uncle were there but it's really nice to have another horsey person there to give you a hand.

I almost always had a blast just hanging out with my team on show weekends whether we kicked butt or got ours kicked. You sure learn a lot about a lot while doing IHSA. I wouldn't trade my experience or time there for anything.

We went out to BYU for a show and ended up at TGI Fridays as a team for dinner. Everyone was ordering adult-beverages as the waiter went around the table, he carded the first four people and then just sorta stopped. I ended up being last and he just assumed I also wanted a margarita or a daquirri. Almost took him up on it but felt bad and told him I was only 19. Watching him just about crap his pants was hillarious.

Our team was scattered across a few barns - me and the other two Open riders split between three of the nice H/J barns in the area, the rest of the English team and a few of the Western team at the mule-lady's barn and a few assorted folks at other places. Having horsey friends to lean on that weren't "barn" friends were great for when I needed to vent about life at a show barn.

I rode with Kutztown during the late 80's & early 90's. Most of the time we rode at Jack Benson's Old Briarwood-I had a couple of favorites: one was Tiffany-grey mare awesome horse-dropped my outside stirrup said the "s"word just as I was passing the judge Jeff Ayers-Tiff never missed a beat and Jeff I heard giggling to himself. Still won the class. But my best ride was PJ who was a saint and had been used in sooo many classes that day but still gave me 100 percent. I placed third. Another favorite was Wilson COllege Oki (I think) this horse went the same speed ALL THREE GAITS! Its really embarassing (or a hoot)when you have everyone from all the schools clicking to get your horse to move! Back then we were allowed to carry crops only. No Spurs.

yup, duke, he was a great horse, just passed away two years ago and yes he was from stony brook. Our favorite is a big grey at Bergen an equestrian center in new jersey, for some reason can't remember his name, want him to come home with us! And then of course stony brooks Oreo and black and white large that jumps the best!

Quote Originally Posted by FarnleyGarnet View Post
    LOVED Prima. I remember Maloney but never got to ride him. Didn't Virginia Intermont have an older grey named Easy Chair? Or maybe it was Couch... something really comfy sounding... he always seemed to go around nicely.

Awww I LOVED Maloney! I drew and asked Eddie how he was and he was like "awww honey, you got Maloney? You put yo momma on Maloney..." <3

Funny coaches story- I went to Goucher and everywhere we went (restaurant, show, airplane) we had them announce that it was the coaches birthday. She always laughed with us but it was always fun to see her face get a little red and all the people wish her a happy bday on the way out : )
    Last edited by pandasgirl; Sep. 25, 2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: story addition