The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The most discouraging aspect when people are deceived in a horse sale transaction is oftentimes the buyer experiences guilt&responsibility over allowing themself to be taken. Consequently, they fail to file a complaint and get a judgement which is required for sanction by racing or any other organization.

My question here is:

1) How many judgments are we discussing here?

2) If there was a judgment in your favor, what did/do you hope to accomplish?

If you no longer have a copy of the judgment, you just need to visit your county courthouse where the complaint & judgment were filed. In the circuit court clerk's office, there is free computer access to court records. You can search by either plaintiff or defendants name and obtain the case number. A limited number of courts have a searchable database available online. Once you have the case number, you can order a copy of the judgment from the county clerk's office for a small fee (usually less than $5).

Why oh why does anyone ever take a listing for his horses...and blinking red warning light should pop up next to his name....

He was in the Bedford, NY area for years...bounced more checks than a tennis ball to the local feed store...he was then and sounds like he still is, the worst kind of swindler. He was known to have stolen horses and cheated people 25+ years ago. Amazing he is still doing that.

His wife (or ex-wife?), I believe, had everything in her name, Robin Berol. They have a daughter, Jennifer, who rides very well, that is a professional in NY and I don't think she followed in his footsteps!

My assumption would be that it its about paid advertising revenue and lack of any proof. Now if copies of judgments were transmitted to a racing media representative and they covered the story and featured the history of complaints & judgments that would most likely trigger a refusal to accept advertising.

Unfortunately moderate price levels often attract newcomers without a skilled advisor to help them navigate the waters. Financial recourse is often limited by the max claim set by small claims court, or the prospect of high legal fees in relation to the potential recovery. Very few people can/will pursue litigation for ethical reasons.

Instead, the injured party often spreads the word of how crooked and deceitful the entire horse industry is. We all get tarred with the same brush irrespective of the discipline or subspecialty area.

In the TB industry, it is my firm belief we will never be capable of adequately addressing integrity and horse welfare issues without formation of a National Thoroughbred Coalition Membership would need to be mandatory for everyone desiring to conduct business related to TB horses. Websters defines integrity as strict adherence to a set of principles, especially moral. A set of moral, transparency, fiduciary relationship, and horse welfare standards both on and off track would be incorporated into the rules and rr regulations.

If modeled similarly to the USEF&FEI, it would be possible to immediately "temporarily suspend" membership until an investigation is conducted. (A recent example would be the temporary suspension of the trainer in the 6/15/12 death of a pony at Devon following administration of an injectable.) A publicly accessible database would be of great benefit to fans, newcomers and participants would help to identify violators and suspended individualsthey may choose not to do business with. Hearings could be conducted similar to the FEI tribunals via low cost video conferencing. Panels could be a rotating list of stewards, vets, racing commission members, etc selected from out of state to avoid any any consideration of special consideration.

As a private organization, with individual state commissions legal assistance, it would be possible to utilize those laws as a component guideline in handing out suspensions and fines.

IMO, formation of a national commission has more potential to prompt public confidence in the TB industry as a whole than any number of specific agendas where there is assn endless amount of participants publicly attacking each other which underlies the infrastructure of the entire industry. We have a non racetrack vet attacking all racetrack vets over the use of salix because the have a financial interest which makes it appear add if they have no interest in the welfare of the horses under their care. It paints all vets and trainers who use laic as cheats with no mention the majority have experimented with and currently utilize a multitude of management strategies to prevent and help minimize bleeding episodes in race horses.

While the 40 TOBA members have committed to racing their 2 year olds without lasix. many in the rescue community are expressing concern for the welfare of those horses which are unproductive. From a business standpoint, unprofitable horses will need to be disposed of. While they can be sold to run at progressively cheaper tracks, respiratory function and locomotion are interrelated; thus a misstep related to inadequate oxygen delivery is much more likely trio increase breakdown rates. Additionally FAIS microchipping for slaughter horses going into effect in 2013 will allow FOIA access to identify all horses at slaughterhouses. If an anti racing group like the NYT or PETA chooses to identify TB horses, breeders and former connections, and considering 80% of Americsns atte opposed to slaughter, will not even the very best owners and breeders be willing to carry on in the face of such embarrassment when accurate numbers of TBs slaughtered can be compared to the size of the foal crop?

What about the statements from trainers claiming breeders, owners and consignors are saying trainers are cheaters, yet questioning drug usage, surgical procedures, kickbacks & collision at auction and in private sales.

And then there is the issue of an agent and fiduciary responsibility to a client demonstrated by a recent lawsuit shown here.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ra...es-for-profit/

http://www.paulickreport.com:8080/ne...-canani-licht/

Sorry to have hijacked the thread, but I believe there is very little that can be done in the current situation to remove shady operators until we have a national commission.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by MintHillFarm View Post
    He was in the Bedford, NY area for years...bounced more checks than a tennis ball to the local feed store...he was then and sounds like he still is, the worst kind of swindler. He was known to have stolen horses and cheated people 25+ years ago. Amazing he is still doing that.

His wife (or ex-wife?), I believe, had everything in her name, Robin Berol. They have a daughter, Jennifer, who rides very well, that is a professional in NY and I don't think she followed in his footsteps!
    My mom and I got a pony from him in the 80's....it was an experience for sure! When it was all said and done, we learned a lot. Caveat Emptor!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

oh my gosh.. how do sooo many people know this guy?? like how does he get away with screwing so many people over? what a sketchy character...

Because he can place Ads and unknowing people get sucked in with out doing their due diligance.

How he is even allowed stalls is beyond me.....

Default CANTER PA Listings

Any of you good folks notice how many horses this individual has on CANTER PA listings right now today?????????
    Unbelievable!

Does anybody from CANTER read this site? If not could somebody bring this guy to their attention?
    Last edited by Profidia; Sep. 5, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
    "I am going to have horse racing as my business, and my hobby will be punishing each and every one of you pinheads, so happy blogging you have my attention"
    Michael Gill-2010

Having issues with him currently! He sold me a very fancy good jumping three year, and when it arrived although it was in fact quiet, fancy, and sweet, it had very contracted front tendons. Before buying this horse we made SURE to make an agreement that if the horse didn't work he would return our money and take him back. It's been over a month and every week he tells us he doesn't have stalls and next week. After reading this thread I don't think we will let him have Green Wave Uly back as this is a sweet horse and doesn't deserve to be involved with him any longer. This has been a very frustrating experience and one I advise you against.