The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tomorrow he becomes a man!!!

Tomorrow my boy becomes a man. My trainer (FEI & gold medal rider) is going to introduce the double bridle to my gelding. He is a ten year old Lusitano currently training 2nd/3rd level and has a terrific piaffe/passage, all with a snaffle. We figured it's time to introduce it, so the plan is to fit him with it (we have several sizes) and take him on a nice long-rein trail ride. Does this sound like a good way to do it? My last horse had already been going in a double when I got him so this is my first time going thru this. I am both excited and nervous at the same time. It's like a right of passage, you know, a maturity thing. Would love to hear some other experiences with this.

It was no big deal with my TB gelding when we introduced it. Rode him lightly in the arena the first time with now curb pressure at all, he had no problems. Second time added a little curb, no probs. He really never had an issue with it. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The trail ride is fine, but he could be ridden normally probably as well.

Though, I can't stop myself from saying it...10 yrs old, schooling 2nd/3rd, but has a piaffe/passage? That sequence doesn't add up to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Though, I can't stop myself from saying it...10 yrs old, schooling 2nd/3rd, but has a piaffe/passage? That sequence doesn't add up to me.
    I suspect a lot of "baroque" horses are like this -- piaffe and passage may come easier to them than extended gaits. They are built to "sit."

Just put it on and go have a nice ride, and don't think about it being a 'right of passage'. It's just another day. The more you build it up in your mind the worse it is sure to go.

10, 2nd/3rd, with piaffe and passage. I'd want to see it before I said it was wrong, but it does sound worrisome.

Baroque horses aren't exempt from needing the muscles of the back and hind quarter developed before doing more advanced work. But some soft steps may not be a problem.
    Last edited by slc2; Sep. 25, 2008 at 06:58 AM.

This is not at all uncommon especially with the imported iberian horses although you do see that here. Unfortunately, while sitting is typically 'easier' for them, so is tightness in the back and learning this before getting correct contact can easily teach them a place to go and "hide". Its my opinion that a lot of the "Iberians can't extend" dogma is that they have learned a false collection which is very hard to undo and then of course no real extending of the gaits can come from that.

That said, I think its very appropriate for many horses to be working half-steps when they are working at 3rd level. I also think they need to be playing with the idea of the upper level stuff early on if the intention is to go very far. All in moderation and not at the expense of proper basics.

When I read your headline I thought "Ok, what has Sjef done now?".
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

I just introduces a double about 1-2 months ago. Trainer had me put it on then ride a lesson totally on the bradoon but holding the curb rein so I could "remember" how 2 sets of reins get held at the same time (haven't done that since I was a kid).

Some horses adjust easily (mine did), others take a while, so my trainer felt it best to introduce now and see how she took it, rather than wait til we're showing at a level where it's mandatory to show in a double.

Bradoon is basically a thin snaffle so if you go as above it's just a matter of horse adjusting to a new snaffle and having more "stuff" in it's mouth. Some horses toss their heads - if that happens just ignore it and ride as usual. My trainer didn't even have me canter the first time in case my mare got upset, but since mare didn't care (actually went better in a thinner bit) I canteres the next time I rode with the double. I rarely ride in the double now since horse obviously doesn't care. Whwen we get closer to showing in the double I'll ride in it more often.
    Sandy in Fla.

Quote Originally Posted by PiaffeDreams View Post
    That said, I think its very appropriate for many horses to be working half-steps when they are working at 3rd level. I also think they need to be playing with the idea of the upper level stuff early on if the intention is to go very far. All in moderation and not at the expense of proper basics.

Jules Nyssen used to work my instructor's QH in piaffe to get the horse to sit down and collect more. The horse was showing 3rd/ training 4th at the time.

For me I thought it took me longer to figure out how to ride with a double bridle than it did my horse.
    Confessions of a Backyard Dressage Queen

Well, we did it. I did get to use my beautiful Albion KB double bridle on Sully (had it from my previous FEI level DWB) and after some tweaking, it looked gorgeous on him and fit him perfectly. It ended up being no big deal afterall, not one head toss. I will have an easy ride on him tomorrow with it and then start alternating back with his snaffle, I suppose. He is pretty light already. I guess I was a bit conservative with stating that he was 2nd/3rd level after reading some of the comments. When I got him he did come with all the upper level work but my trainer felt he was tight in the back and not collecting properly so we have done a lot of basic strengthening work to improve his collection and now his piaffe/passage is amazing. He is also one of the lucky Lusitanos to have an incredible trot lengthening. He has a wonderful half-pass as well. We are still schooling his pirouettes large and playing with his tempis. I have a recent video of Betsy Steiner riding him in a clinic and she has a big smile while on him going thru all this work and all in a snaffle. I need to figure out how to get it on Youtube so I can share it. So I hope that exlpains a little better why ten and I still call him 2nd/3rd level, I guess maybe that is a bit conservative, I don't know. Haven't shown him much yet due to finances, been putting it into training three times a week lately. Anyway, just wanted to say that it was a big day for us and felt like sharing. :-)
    Last edited by FillyMe; Sep. 26, 2008 at 08:35 PM.

So cool! Glad it went well.

Accidents......Forgot about that, I hope it comes back to me since it's been a few years, lol.
    Hazelnut, thanks for your reply. It was pretty cool, kind of a big deal to me. I feel good about it since it is a legitimate time to introduce it, you know, for all the right reasons, since he is so light and lovely and collectible in a snaffle. I just feel really good about it. Unfortunately with my previous FEI horse, it was more of a blessing to ride him in it, if you get my drift, lol.

Just because a horse can piaffe/passage doesn't automatically qualify them for FEI. They need to get the strength for other things as well. You also don't wait until you're ready to begin PSG to work Piaffe/Passage.
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

I saw a piaffe clinic last month with Jorge Gabriel, a Lusitano trainer/breeder and USDF Gold Medalist. If I remember correctly, he said he starts training the basics of piaffe at 4 y/o, like introducing the "sit" concept, and progressively introduces a different aspect of the piaffe each year (or however long it takes for each horse) until the horse is mature enough to "put it all together".
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/