The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    Last I heard, they were having problems with lifespan of clones. Is that not the case anymore?
    This is because they take the cells from aged animals- the baby is thus born with cells of an older horse- therefore baby only has the same years left as the original did.

What? That makes no sense. It doesn't matter what age the animal is when the cells are harvested; new cells are created all the time as old ones die.

As for whether or not the colt will look like Gem Twist: a clone is not a twin. If you ever look at cloned cats, you'll see they are marked differently, are different sizes, etc, but have identical DNA.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by Susan P View Post
    In a day where the American Horse Council states that we have unwanted horses why do we need to reproduce until we have the numbers at a reasonable level?

I met Gem Twist's sister and she was not spectacular, just kind of an average horse at a small barn. I understand he was an awesome jumper but had a bad attitude. I just don't like cloning to recreate an entire new living being. I think they should save it to reproduce organs to save lives. I think this is the wrong use of this technology. Just my personal opinion. Surely someone will flame me for expressing myself.

Hardly, you give a very clear and concise reasoning behind your decision. I agree with you completely.

Default short cut

breed the best to the best and hope....
    this seems to be a short cut to obtaining some of the best.
    their results would vary a lot even if they had an intact jem twist to start with.

how many breeding syndicates produce duds and loose money?
    more hay, less grain

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    What? That makes no sense. It doesn't matter what age the animal is when the cells are harvested; new cells are created all the time as old ones die.
    It's a bit more complicated, but indeed:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...i?artid=305328
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_n18608674

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    copied from your Pubmed article on aging relative to telomere length

It is noteworthy to mention here that telomere length does not necessarily correlate with an animal's lifespan, nor do we know whether the actual physiological age of cloned animals is accurately reflected by their telomere length. The telomere model is very popular among the many mechanisms scientists have proposed for ageing at the cellular level. Other explanations include oxidative damage, accumulation of genomic changes, Mitochondrial DNA mutations, etc.

(it's a theory not a fact)
    * <-- RR Certified Gold Star {) <-- RR Golden Croissant Award
    Training Tip of the Day: If you can’t beat your best competitor, buy his horse.
    NO! What was the question?

Yep, but I was wondering if it was panning out or not in the real world. It was just something I remembered from the Dolly days.

i wonder if he will have a jumping career. probably not. but it would be an interesting study to see if he does possess his brother..err...clone's abilities. would really say a lot about nature vs. nurture. not that we need cloned olympic medalists to prove that, but would be interesting nonetheless. imagine the pressure in riding/training this guy though. empirically, you know that everything physical is there, it's just a matter of making it work...again...and hoping the mental part came too...

Has anyone heard any updates on miniGem??
    www.millcreekfarm.net
    **RIP Kickstart aka Char 12/2/2009**

I just went back and read the thread from Sporthorse Breeding and they keep referring to him as Gem Twist's "son." Is that really the case? Seems like he'd be closer to a brother...

BTW, when I was 10, my mom took me to see Secretariat when he was at Claiborne Farms. His groom took us out to the paddock, where I was (carefully) allowed to pet the Great One. Then the groom asked me if I'd like a souvenir. When I nodded with stars in my eyes, the guy reached over and pulled out a good handful of mane hairs and presented them to me. Secretariat wasn't thrilled, but I was. Anyway, I still have those hairs, which have the root bulb still attached. Should I sell them to the cloning company to clone Big Red and retire to a life of luxury?
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

Quote Originally Posted by eventchic33 View Post
    That is one heck of a baby!!!! NICE!!!

I personally am excited because these are very rare and valuable bloodlines that we have very limited access to today. I can think of only one stallion standing today here in the states who has the Bonne Nuit lines.

I look at this more of being able to preserve these lines than trying to duplicate exactly what the original Gem Twist was.

Kinda of like saving an endangered species....

No, this colt is not Gem's son. He is more like a twin. I certainly would like to see more photo updates. Anyone? I adored Gem Twist!

I agree with Grandprixjump.

Just because GT's clone was born...doesn't mean his "clone" is an identical copy to him.

I think the owners are expecting a little too much...unless someone is just paying for the bragging rights:

"Owned by the Chapot family, the cloned colt is a full thoroughbred, and will be a sought-after outcross for warmblood showjumping mares."

Question:

1. Why was GT gelded in the first place?

Funny...an article in 2003 after the first cloned horse was born reads as follows:
    "The cloning technique could have a particular role, says Galli, in perpetuating the sporting success of male show and jump horses that have been castrated."
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    I agree with Grandprixjump.

Just because GT's clone was born...doesn't mean his "clone" is an identical copy to him.

I think the owners are expecting a little too much...unless someone is just paying for the bragging rights:

"Owned by the Chapot family, the cloned colt is a full thoroughbred, and will be a sought-after outcross for warmblood showjumping mares."
    Phenotypically, he will probably be somewhat different. Genetically, except for mDNA (which doesn't matter anyway, since he can't pass it on), he is the same as Gem Twist. He would still be a sought-after cross for showjumping mares.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Phenotypically, he will probably be somewhat different. Genetically, except for mDNA (which doesn't matter anyway, since he can't pass it on), he is the same as Gem Twist. He would still be a sought-after cross for showjumping mares.
    Bloodlines-wise, I know. I guess I have seen far too many cases in which "studs" have great bloodlines...but still have crappy conformation, etc. and are bred merely for their bloodlines.

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutmarebeware View Post
    I just went back and read the thread from Sporthorse Breeding and they keep referring to him as Gem Twist's "son." Is that really the case? Seems like he'd be closer to a brother...

BTW, when I was 10, my mom took me to see Secretariat when he was at Claiborne Farms. His groom took us out to the paddock, where I was (carefully) allowed to pet the Great One. Then the groom asked me if I'd like a souvenir. When I nodded with stars in my eyes, the guy reached over and pulled out a good handful of mane hairs and presented them to me. Secretariat wasn't thrilled, but I was. Anyway, I still have those hairs, which have the root bulb still attached. Should I sell them to the cloning company to clone Big Red and retire to a life of luxury?
    Now that is very tempting however since he was TB he could never be raced. I don't think the jockey club would allow it even through breeding to other mares. Gosh he would be a great horse to clone though.

Anyone know how much it cost to have a horse cloned?
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

Quote Originally Posted by msrobin View Post

Anyone know how much it cost to have a horse cloned?
    $300,000+ last time I knew.

No, former TB racehorse clones could not be raced as the JC doesn't allow clones, offspring of mares receiving fertility treatments, or artificially inseminated horses.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    Bloodlines-wise, I know. I guess I have seen far too many cases in which "studs" have great bloodlines...but still have crappy conformation, etc. and are bred merely for their bloodlines.
    But a horse with those same genes had great talent and a great performance record.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    But a horse with those same genes had great talent and a great performance record.
    I guess, in my mind, it's more or less the owners saying, "okay, well we screwed up gelding GT....now...is there any way we can 'breed' GT by making a clone?" AKA "How can we continue to make money off of GT?"

Don't get me wrong, I think it'd be great if this colt could produce great offspring since he's the genetic copy of GT, but it also seems a little greedy.