The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Gem Twist Clone

Proud Mama of a BOY rider

I think it's cool. And kind of creepy.

Last I heard, they were having problems with lifespan of clones. Is that not the case anymore?

And it's weird because the baby doesn't look gray.

Honestly, I don't know what to think! I guess it will be interesting to see how the little guy develops ....

Anybody remember how Dolly the sheep fared? I seem to remember that she aged prematurely or something along those lines. We need the scientists to chime in on this one.

I think the clones themselves are not entirely normal and may have health problems and shortened lives but the naturally-bred offspring of clones seem to be quite normal. I think. So all they have to do is get this guy to age two or so and collect a lot of sperm.

I hope it all works out Gem Twist was an awesome horse
    Proud Mama of a BOY rider

In a day where the American Horse Council states that we have unwanted horses why do we need to reproduce until we have the numbers at a reasonable level?

I met Gem Twist's sister and she was not spectacular, just kind of an average horse at a small barn. I understand he was an awesome jumper but had a bad attitude. I just don't like cloning to recreate an entire new living being. I think they should save it to reproduce organs to save lives. I think this is the wrong use of this technology. Just my personal opinion. Surely someone will flame me for expressing myself.

There is a LONG discussion about this on the Sport Horse Breeding forum.

I met Gem Twist at the Tampa Grand Prix when I was a kid. He didn't seem to have a crappy attitude to me, but then again, I only met him over a stall wall.
    And I was quickly shooed out of his barn

May have been different when you were on the ground asking him to do something.

As far as cloning goes, I agree with the poster who feels we have too many to go around, why create (and most likely pay a million plus dollars to create) one that may or may not possess the traits you are looking for.
    From what I understand, cloning is not going to give you a 100% replica of the animal you've cloned.

Gem Twist was my favorite jumper. I loved everything I ever saw about that horse, but I don't like this one bit.

I never heard that Gem Twist had a bad attitude, but that he was hot and spooky under saddle and best for a pro. He had a lot more scope than his sisters. Greg Best rode some of them too -- there was an article in PH about GB several years ago.

Ambrey the foal will gray out as he ages, like any gray.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    And it's weird because the baby doesn't look gray.
    Remember, gray's aren't born grey, they are born chestnut or black.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    Oh, I know. Usually, though, there is some sign that they'll go gray- white around the eyes or muzzle, on the legs.

I'm sure he will go gray, but the fact that there were no signs of it just was something that struck me. It was a rather meaningless observation

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    Or bay, or palomino, or any they can have any base color... depending on their parents.

I think he is cute and has quite a future ahead of him. I'm sure he will have the best of care!!!
    Visit my website @ http://hihorsefarm.tripod.com (PONIES!)
    and
    http://heidalaycavaliers.tripod.com (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

He is adorable, but I hope they don't expect him to be Gem Twist II. It is a lot of pressure for the little guy.

Default Identical DNA doesn't mean Identical ability...

What if the original GT fell over his fist cavaletti, and this horse doesn't, what if GT got spooked in the pasture, or they took his mother out for a ride when he was 6 months old, he DECIDED he didn't like being alone and jumped out, thus creating his desire to be a great jumper, maybe at the farm the clone is at, there are other horses sharing a fence line, and he's happy with other horses that close..
    DNA doesn't make the complete horse, the way they are raised and trained does also.
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Anybody remember how Dolly the sheep fared? I seem to remember that she aged prematurely or something along those lines. We need the scientists to chime in on this one.
    Dolly the sheep was euthanized due to a lung disease that commonly affects sheep that are kept indoors. They could not turn her out due to security problems. It had nothing to do with her being a clone.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

I agree with Susan P, cloning of cells to help people is one thing but to recreate a animal???? For what?

Well I think its neat that they are doing this. Its new so we will all learn something I hope.

Gem Twist is not the only one. In Western horses, Scamper the famous barrel racing horse has a clone. Plans for the clone colt, are using him for breeding. He is too valuable for his bloodlines, to use on barrels. He was nice looking in the article I saw. Same body as the original, so I would believe the same speed and skills would be available in producing barrel horses..

Scamper made his rider famous, kept her at the top, World Champions for I believe 10 years. Earned their millions together. She paid for the clone from money she earned the hard way. I think the price mentioned was $500,000. I figure she can do what she wants with her money! And old Scamper is living the good life with her and the clone colt on the ranch he paid for.

No clone is going to be the same as original. They won't live the same life to make the good and bad parts happen. Maybe clone won't have the drive or willingness of the original. With horses, people hope for the same athletic skills. At this point we don't have enough information to know if this will work.

Exclamation

Nice BABY! One to watch to be sure!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"