The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by meaty ogre View Post
    - Look for a "granny" horse. Tell them you are bringing your beloved 80 year old grandmother with arthritis and 2 hip replacements. Tell them the horse is for her, she means more to you than anything in the world and the horse has to be perfectly suited for her. I am dead serious. Just say this to the seller and be amazed at all the "disclosures" that wouldn't have happened if you were looking for a "kids" or "husbands" horse!

Good luck!
    That's perfect advice!

I have the opposite problem. I have a wonderful horse that is all those things, but the people that call are nuts. They are either put off because he isn't fancy. If he doesn't kill your spouse, does it matter? And they also want him to have fox hunted, evented, shown, jumped, gone to the Olympics, etc. for $$$$. Once again, if he doesn't kill your spouse, does it matter? I am so over it that I just took him off the market.

Quote Originally Posted by meaty ogre View Post
    Rebmik, I can't tell you how many I've seen advertised as bomproof/beginner/husband horses. Honestly I think it's more rare to see one listed for sale without those attributes, though we all know that those attributes are relatively rare. It is frustrating.

I started looking for such a horse several years ago. I had a low budget so I started looking mostly at backyard horses. The owners were so uneducated they didn't know what they had. At first I was angry about wasting my time, but honestly, if a person doesn't know that their bit is in backwards, they probably don't know their horse isn't trained.

So I upped my budget and started looking at horses in "professional" barns. Sadly it wasn't much better.

The truth of the matter is that horses like this get passed on to friends, family members, or other people in the same barns/circles. They are hard to find, and when somebody comes across one, they keep him/her. My bombproof/husband horse was actually given to me when he couldn't stand up to the rigors of lesson work any more. He had a few kinks to iron out but I'm so lucky to have gotten him.

Here are my tips:

-Don't look for a "kids" horse. Kids are brave and/or stupid. Brave kids will ride anything. So will stupid ones. Just because a horse has been ridden by kids does not mean it is suitable for one! Also, many horse sellers live by the saying that God watches over fools and children. Just look at some sales ads to see what I mean!

-To most people, husband horse means one or more of the following:
    a) It's big...can probably carry a man
    b) It's too strong for a lady...probably pull her arms out of socket!
    c) Based on the same premise that most men won't stop and ask for directions, let's dump the horse on some man whose macho-ness won't allow him to admit that he can't manage to ride the horse.

- Look for a "granny" horse. Tell them you are bringing your beloved 80 year old grandmother with arthritis and 2 hip replacements. Tell them the horse is for her, she means more to you than anything in the world and the horse has to be perfectly suited for her. I am dead serious. Just say this to the seller and be amazed at all the "disclosures" that wouldn't have happened if you were looking for a "kids" or "husbands" horse!

Good luck!
    That is exactly what I was thinkingk, but my "Granny" was also going to be "blind"!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by craz4crtrs View Post
    Ask farriers, a lot of people have lovely horses in their backyards that aren't being advertised. Maybe a lease option on a horse that really isn't "for sale" but isn't being used. Once the horse is off the property and works for you, buy it.
    Ditto that! My farrier always knows of various types of horses for sale or long-term lease, many retired performance horses, been-there-done-that steady types, who would love a life of ease, earning their keep with just the occasional meander down a pleasant trail. Your vet, too, may know of some saints available to the right situation. Maybe there is an old soldier nearby who can't serve his owner's needs anymore, but is serviceably sound with a little TLC and would fit the bill for hubby perfectly.

Some of these may not be advertised except by this sort of word of mouth. If I were interested in placing one of mine with a nice family, that is what I would do ... just spread the word via the pros that I trust who could give personal recommendations.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    " I think this definition needs to be changed to servicibly sound. A horse that can not tolerate jumping or higher level dressage work may be suitable for YEARS AND YEARS as a trail horse.

My ancient horse had arthritis in his hocks, to the point where he could no longer be a high level hunter. But, with proper management he was a stunning horse for flatwork and VET recommended as it was better to keep him going. He was not "in pain" at all, as soon as he became uncomfortable he was fully retired at the ripe old age of 28 (not bad for a TB!)
    I agree 100%, Squish! My senior citizen mare is not truly "sound" in the way that a dressage horse must be sound ... arthritis has stiffened her joints and an old injury have given her a hitch in her getalong that is a permanent mechanical lameness. It is very slight, it is not painful (determined via extensive blocking by two vets!), and it does not hinder her being a lovely pleasure horse and occasional beginner lesson horse. In fact, she frets, eats poorly and doesn't do well at all when "retired." She is perky, shiny, engaged and happy with her part-time, post-retirement "career." And several vets -- including one nationally renowned lameness expert -- agree that the consistent work has improved her arthritis and overall comfort level.

If I couldn't keep her for some reason, I would be looking for a home like the OP's, where she could be a beloved family pet with an easily doable job.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

I have the exact opposite problem- I have the bombproof kid and hubby safe horse that is reasonably priced, sound, sane and available. and I can not get her sold,lol.... I had a family here this weekend with 3 kids betwen 7 and 11, and they roe her in their tack, my tack, bareback, double, single, all gaits up and down our hills, all over the place- rode her along the fenceline by my stallion- and she ignored him even though she is in heat, my hubby was running chainsaws an cutting wood, my son and one of the kids were racing aroun all over the place, and the mare was a total gem the whole time- did everything asked of her an they were here for over 2 hours....but now they needto talk to the trainer, and they want to come again next weekend to ride her again,lol..... not to mention i have multiple videos and photos i have sent out on her- I just think alot of people are nuts.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckydonkey View Post
    I have the exact opposite problem- I have the bombproof kid and hubby safe horse that is reasonably priced, sound, sane and available. and I can not get her sold,lol.... I had a family here this weekend with 3 kids betwen 7 and 11, and they roe her in their tack, my tack, bareback, double, single, all gaits up and down our hills, all over the place- rode her along the fenceline by my stallion- and she ignored him even though she is in heat, my hubby was running chainsaws an cutting wood, my son and one of the kids were racing aroun all over the place, and the mare was a total gem the whole time- did everything asked of her an they were here for over 2 hours....but now they needto talk to the trainer, and they want to come again next weekend to ride her again,lol..... not to mention i have multiple videos and photos i have sent out on her- I just think alot of people are nuts.
    AGREED!!!!

I had the woman who was so excited to some and see mine that she came to my house in 4 inch heels. She forgot her barn boots. She went on and on about how she knew he was the one and told me her huge sob story about her Dutch horse that was too much handle. She sold him and was devastated. She had to finally admit to herself that she is a timid beginner. Well, that's fine. My horse thrives with timid beginners.

She wanted to give me cash on the spot. She was driving a brand new mercedes convertable sports car, so I figured she was serious. But I wanted to make sure that she was actually the right person, despite her quirks. She came and rode him and brought an experienced friend. He was a SAINT. And she burst in to tears after she rode him telling me that he was the most wonderful and kind horse she ever sat on. The friend supposedly loved him.

And then she disappeared. Yep. Her friend wanted her to try a few more horses, just to be sure. She had called me whispering from the barn that "none of them are as nice as your horse". Even so- disappeared. Never returned an email. Never returned a call.

That is why I am keeping him. I am so over stupid people.

We lucked out - went to an auction to look for a hubby horse.

I had a mare in mind that I saw in the catalog - while my husband had his eye on a 3 yr old draft cross - I had my eye on a 9 yr old draft cross mare.

The 3 yr old came out - wide eyed, unbroken and very up. My husband agreed that was not the horse for him and wanted to leave - I said lets wait and see this mare I had my eye on when we were browsing.

She came out with two girls riding her double bareback, then they threw on a saddle - I saw this sad look in her eye but a sweetheart underneath.

I outbid the meat man for her and we brought her home for 1400. Best money I ever spent.

While she has a capped hock - no lameness, no health issues, no vices and she is an absolute sweetheart. She never causes any problems, is a great weaning partner. My husband absolutely loves her - she has taught him to be patient - she was a little abused - but she looks after him so well - whenever he looses his balance she stops, she stands for mounting, dismounting. She has also taught him to be very light handed.

she can be ridden once a month, once a week or whatever - doesn't worry about cars or anything and will go when asked.

I wouldn't sell her for the world.

here is a link to some pics of them playing hide and seek.

www.hotelfun4kids.com/horses2.htm

Wow! Lacey is BIG and GORGEOUS!

I play hide-and-seek with King, too. Elijah doesn't seem to "get it," though. He gets his feelings hurt if you hide from him! King understands that if you "find the kid," there are cookies involved. He loves the game. But poor ole Eli is just too tender hearted. What? Why would you HIDE from me?

My best horses have come via word of mouth but ditto the advice to put the word out w/ farriers and vets. Also, take your search into the western world. A nice "been there, done that" former roping horse can be one heck of a good horse.

There have been a few threads here about ranches that train trail horses and family horses. Videos of them dragging tarps around bareback in the snow and that kind of thing. That is where I'd look.

So I was writing an ad today for a horse who truly is a beginner's horse/bombproof (at least, as much as any horse ever is)/etc - and I was thinking of this thread going, "But how do I write it so that people know that I'M telling the TRUTH?"

The stupid liars out there just make it so much harder for the rest of us!
    Proud member of the EDRF

Quote Originally Posted by Just My Style View Post
    AGREED!!!!

I had the woman who was so excited to some and see mine that she came to my house in 4 inch heels. She forgot her barn boots. She went on and on about how she knew he was the one and told me her huge sob story about her Dutch horse that was too much handle. She sold him and was devastated. She had to finally admit to herself that she is a timid beginner. Well, that's fine. My horse thrives with timid beginners.

She wanted to give me cash on the spot. She was driving a brand new mercedes convertable sports car, so I figured she was serious. But I wanted to make sure that she was actually the right person, despite her quirks. She came and rode him and brought an experienced friend. He was a SAINT. And she burst in to tears after she rode him telling me that he was the most wonderful and kind horse she ever sat on. The friend supposedly loved him.

And then she disappeared. Yep. Her friend wanted her to try a few more horses, just to be sure. She had called me whispering from the barn that "none of them are as nice as your horse". Even so- disappeared. Never returned an email. Never returned a call.

That is why I am keeping him. I am so over stupid people.
    they come for free rides as ut cheaper mecedes or not its an easy trip out and easy to have a ride rather than pay for a lesson

op-- dont look for boomproof look fo a horse that novice ride
    and llearn to read between the lines of the seller, or ask open questions

ie - wha type of bit is trhe horse ridden in-- is a clue
    for exsample if the answer a snaffle mouth then thats a clue that the horse has a soft mouth
    same to with what type of bridle does the horse ride in
    flashes ,crackles , figures of eight - could be a strong horse , threfore not a novice ride
    same to with martigales
    if ahorse is a snaffle mouth a proper snaffle mouth then yu shouldnt need xtra attachments

also ask whats it like to be cuaght is another clue
    ie good to catch, ( if seeing a horse then you want to be able to catch it yourself you do not want to see it already caught up and tacked up wny becuase if you catch the horse then its ens right there no point bring a novice rider if they cnat catch the horse as they are novice at handling they want something they can catch, that will stand and be tacked by them and mounted with ease

make sure your looking at ahorse for the correct weight of the rider

ask about the feed-- thats also agood indicator of -- how the horse goes
    type would make her quicker faster and hard to hold

ask your farriers vets and llocal tack shops as they are more than likely to know of a decent horse around the corner
    some horses are in peoples livery yards that dont have proffesional help and some are not

the few exsamples a re questions that have reponses of what the horse will be like and you cut them out beofre you look and waste your time

an advert for a novice should be good temprement, easy to do and handle, doesnt buck rear or bolt good to load shoe clip, and is a novice ride good in traffic, that can vary from good to 100% with trafic vets and farriers,

if you looking for a weight carring horse such as an irish co type or gypsy vanner its well known here that they can be stubborn, and slow but they are also strong willied
    and the common cob is like buying a cup of tea in a cafe we have that many of them here

we have the really cheap ones to the more expensive type the cheaper ones as with anything the less you pay the less you get
    ie edcuation or issues be it health or attitude
    always get a ppe done might cost a bit but will save you heaps in the long run
    and always do it regardless of price of horse
    also when buying if the horse is at another yard and to be trnasported to you always insure the horse from day one

Quote Originally Posted by Just My Style View Post
    I have the opposite problem. I have a wonderful horse that is all those things, but the people that call are nuts. They are either put off because he isn't fancy. If he doesn't kill your spouse, does it matter? And they also want him to have fox hunted, evented, shown, jumped, gone to the Olympics, etc. for $$$$. Once again, if he doesn't kill your spouse, does it matter? I am so over it that I just took him off the market.
    I had this argument with someone the other day. I was horseshopping with a friend, this is to be her first horse. She has been riding for 2 years and feels ready to take the plunge. I'm looking around for her, trying to find something in her budget that is safe, sane and sound. The only thing she cares about is that it is tobino and big!! HAVE I TAUGHT HER NOTHING!!!

first and foremost you need to be able to live with them. If you can't stand them whats the point?! Extensive training is great, bonus, but if this is going to be a trail horse does it really need to know advanced dressage? W/T/C w/ leads, voice commands are handy, and exceptional manners are a must.

They need to be sane, not freaking at everything. They need to be steady, constant but responsive. And they need to be forgiving of the mistakes that thier riders make.

I think it comes down to training. People forget that the average rider is just that, average. They want an animal that they can put anyone on and KNOW that they are safe.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

you might want to get in touch with sunkissacres, mayS or fat palomino
    on here they are rescue centres tha post often they have plenty of horses needing homes
    and one just might be suitable for your husband
    they are reputabe cother's thats waht i would do, they would only be to pleased to ave a cother have one of there horses and besides you letting up a space to let them save another one
    and if transport a problem normally cothers stick together and do a trip thing to get horse from a- to b

Quote Originally Posted by Luckydonkey View Post
    I have the exact opposite problem.... I had a family here this weekend with 3 kids betwen 7 and 11, and they roe her in their tack, my tack, bareback, double, single, all gaits up and down our hills, all over the place- my son and one of the kids were racing aroun all over the place, and the mare was a total gem the whole time- did everything asked of her an they were here for over 2 hours....but now they needto talk to the trainer, and they want to come again next weekend to ride her again,lol..... I just think alot of people are nuts.
    I think that family thinks they've found a great place to take the kids to have some FREE fun on someone else's horse.

If they do show up again, I'd limit their test riding to 30 minutes, tops. Then that's it, decision time for them - no more free rides.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Rebmik,

Here's a nice-sounding mare at Gentle Giants Draft Horse rescue in Maryland:
    http://www.gentlegiantsdrafthorseres...0Vivienne.html

Equus Keepus Brokus

I loved Lacey. I think she is absolutely adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    they come for free rides as ut cheaper mecedes or not its an easy trip out and easy to have a ride rather than pay for a lesson
    Exactly. That is why when she wanted to take the horse to her place to try, I said "no". I told her that there was too much risk involved with her trailering him and taking him to a strange place unless she was more certain that he was the one. I offered for her to come back to my place and spend as much time as she wanted with him. If she was positive after that, then I would take a deposit, allow him to visit her barn and be vetted there. Never heard from her again. Sorry, but I don't think I was unreasonable. Excuse me for being protective of the horse and not allowing him to just hop on a trailer and go off with someone.