The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    The land of heat waves and unbearable humidity

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I can't remember if we talked about this - does this mean you test rode some with higher pommels (for wither clearance) and went down to a normal pommel? Or was there something else done to lower the "normal" pommel even further?

I had an issue with the normal pommel being to high for my taste. My rep told me (and it's been done before) that since Rio needed the front widened a big (he needs wider than their normal, but isn't so wide as to need their wide, which really is meant for an elephant LOL!) that doing that would effectively "lower" the pommel a bit.
    No, I think it was the regular pommel that was too high and they lowered it for me. It didn't change the clearence nor the twist of the saddle.
    "Common sense is so rare nowadays, it should be classified as a super power."-Craig Bear Laubscher

I got my first CWD 4 or 5 years ago when I was riding medium and large ponies. The saddle fit my thin, petite large and flat, broad-backed medium both beautifully. It was so much more comfortable than my previous saddle that I showed in it at WEF after having it for a just a week. That saddle then went on to back the first horse I showed, a 17.2+, big-bodied warmblood and my first horse, a 15.3 warmblood. At that point I outgrew that saddle and inherited my sister's.

My second CWD fit the same 15.3 warmblood and a TB-cross both very well (there was no point in me getting a new fitted saddle as I was not done growing). I was sad to outgrow that saddle this summer when I tried riding in my mom and aunt's Butets but was constantly pitched forward and constantly rounded my back. I borrowed a friend's CWD just to see the difference and it was epic. My position was so much better and I was much more comfortable. I borrowed my trainer's CWD for the rest of the fall and rode and showed successfully. I have a new one coming for Christmas!

Default Turnaround time?

Nikki^, how long did it take for your saddle to arrive? I ordered an SE02 with some modifications on Nov. 15 and am so excited I can't stand it. (My Welsh-Arab cross and I have tried more than 20 saddles, from $200 to $4000, over the past four years, and this is the only one that's worked for both of us. The cost is steep, but the expenditure will be worth it.) My trainer ordered a CWD for her daughter in mid-October and found out yesterday that it will be arriving, I believe, in the next week or so, ahead of schedule.

The land of heat waves and unbearable humidity

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyhorse View Post
    Nikki^, how long did it take for your saddle to arrive? I ordered an SE02 with some modifications on Nov. 15 and am so excited I can't stand it. (My Welsh-Arab cross and I have tried more than 20 saddles, from $200 to $4000, over the past four years, and this is the only one that's worked for both of us. The cost is steep, but the expenditure will be worth it.) My trainer ordered a CWD for her daughter in mid-October and found out yesterday that it will be arriving, I believe, in the next week or so, ahead of schedule.
    I ordered mine Sept 26th, shipped out on Nov 26th and it got here on December 4th. Customs held up the order by a few days a FedEx employee entered in the wrong number and customs wouldn't release it. CWD took care of that in a flash. They have such excellent customer service.

It's really exciting getting your first custom saddle. This is my first and I've been very happy with it.
    "Common sense is so rare nowadays, it should be classified as a super power."-Craig Bear Laubscher

I ordered minein mid October and its been done for awhile. I;m quite literally salivating to get it. My dad wants a rep to come out and make sure it fits before he finished paying for it but our rep is out of the country for awhile unfortuately. I think they said something about visa troubles? Anyways, the NEw England rep is gonna come down instead which is very nice of her considering the assurances I got from CWD and many other people with a CWD that they dont just take your money and leave y0ou with a saddle that doesnt fit. But I can understand why my dad would be cautious, considering I've recently spent over $800 in vet bills and medicine for my back-sore mare. The saddle simply HAS to fit perfectly.

REading this thread totally doesnt help though. I want it even more now.

Quote Originally Posted by debrice View Post
    It looks like CWD has a dedicated site for used saddles at http://used.cwdsellier.com .
    I don't know if they sell CWD saddles or other brands only.
    that's our new website for used saddles... I love it (not only because my husband made it )
    This is where we will sell all of the trade in saddles that we get from customers who are switching to CWD... so trust me there will be much more

But for new custom made CWD you still need to contact me at 818-859-7708 and I will be delighted to help you!

Thanks everybody for all the nice messages... special mention to Nikki, it was a pleasure working with you!

Have a great day everybody!

Amandine

My CWD was given to me as a present 6 years ago now, and I still love it to this day! although it is a little bit too small for me since I've grown, I will be so sad the day it won't be ride-able anymore!!! and anyone who has ever ridden in it has told me it's the most comfortable saddle they've ever ridden in! I usually use it on more narrow horses, but that's mainly only because I have another saddle that's wider. I love my CWD tho!

Thumbs up

I didn't read through the whole thread, but my quick opinion...

I rode in one once and loved it... I felt very secure over good size fences in it and like I was where I belonged in the saddle... I have a tendency to have my dressage training mess with my hunt seat and I sit back and very straight, and this saddle really discouraged that for me, put me in a very correct hunt seat position... It was also just super comfortable... it was well broken in, owned by a rider who is sponsored by CWD but a very nice ride! I rode a 17 + hand WB in it and when I got off he threw it on a much narrower horse than the one I was one with no change in padding...

www.lindseycanesi.weebly.com

*Know Jumps, Know Glory... No Jumps, No Glory*

I should mention also, I am 5'9" and a lot of leg, have an impossible time fitting correctly in most saddles, and I didn't have that problem at all in this saddle! It fit me and the horse, which never happens for me! lol

www.lindseycanesi.weebly.com

*Know Jumps, Know Glory... No Jumps, No Glory*

turnandburn Guest

Who owns CWD? Where are the saddles made?

www.cwdsellier.com - French made.

Quote Originally Posted by turnandburn View Post
    Who owns CWD? Where are the saddles made?
    Owned by Bertrand Pelletier, Laurent Duray and Guillaume Girard.
    Saddles are made in Nontron, Dordogne, France.

Have a nice day!

Amandine
    CWD-USA office manager

Hey Amandine, Please don't forget Marc GRAPIN- MOROCCO!!!

Default Of tall pommels and french trees

JB-- I'd want to see "for realz" the lower pommel on your wide horse. I'm just saying this because french trees in general tend to be more curvy (front to back) than the more rectangular british ones. So it might be hard to lower to build "low pommel" (as if that had some universal meaning!) into any french saddle.

After trying good quality french saddles-- PJ Light, Apogee and Del Garda-- in trees wide enough for my horse, I found they all had "tall" pommels and rolled back and forth when I posted. It they were wide enough in front, they rolled.

I'm sure CDW's rep can help you with all this, but a very nice person at Apogee explained the basic difference between these types of tree to me.

May a CWD-- the product and the customer service-- be every thing you searching for!

Had a rep stop by the barn late last summer. I test drove one - don't remember the model. LOVED IT!!! And, I'm a confirmed DelGrange lover. I'd seriously consider this saddle if I was shopping for a new one. Cheaper than the DelGrange, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    JB-- I'd want to see "for realz" the lower pommel on your wide horse. I'm just saying this because french trees in general tend to be more curvy (front to back) than the more rectangular british ones. So it might be hard to lower to build "low pommel" (as if that had some universal meaning!) into any french saddle.
    You'll have to wait for someone else then I ended up going with Black Country. I was told the "widen the front to lower the pommel" (and my guy really did need it wider by a little) had been done with another horse, but I just could not take that chance with that much $$

I bought a used one for my daughter. Wonderful saddle and his fit every horse she has used it on.

Default Black Country!

JB

I have not delved deeply into Black Country, as I'm trying to complete a County option for my horse at the moment.

But I think you might find as much of what you want in these saddles as you might in a CWD. I think they are well-made, come with many innovative design features and good customer service that comes with a saddle company dedicated for truly fitting horses and riders.

You will also get a good-fitting saddle for less than a comparable CWD will cost. I have balked so far just because they aren't quite as pretty. That matters in hunter world, but should not. In any case, it's great to see these saddles getting nicer as they have over the last 10 years or so, and also that they are gaining a larger following.

Let us know how you like it.

By the way, are skid row panels part of your saddle? Since they are a relatively new invention, I'll be interested to see how well they work over time. It seems to me that expecting a pocket of wool right under a part of a saddle that will support a great deal of weight might be a problem. When I imagine one of Black County's U-shaped trees supported in part by these pockets of flocking, for example, I wonder if the whole thing will work or if the skid row parts will get crushed down very quickly. What do you (all) think?

Skid row panels -- are those pockets of wool that are meant to 'fill in' the dips on either side under the withers?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    JB

I have not delved deeply into Black Country, as I'm trying to complete a County option for my horse at the moment.

But I think you might find as much of what you want in these saddles as you might in a CWD. I think they are well-made, come with many innovative design features and good customer service that comes with a saddle company dedicated for truly fitting horses and riders.
    My new BC arrived 2 days ago, but I have only been able to sit it on my horse since it's been raining And today there are 25mph winds, which is great for drying things out, but I HATE riding in that. But, I did test ride in a one-size-narrower BC Quantum X 5 weeks ago, and loved it.

You will also get a good-fitting saddle for less than a comparable CWD will cost. I have balked so far just because they aren't quite as pretty. That matters in hunter world, but should not. In any case, it's great to see these saddles getting nicer as they have over the last 10 years or so, and also that they are gaining a larger following.
    Ohmigosh, this BC is beautiful! There's absolutely nothing about it that even tweaks not-Hunter, nothing. I liken it to the one PJ I rode in. It's absolutely beautiful. Here are 2 pictures of the demo on my horse. Note that this was a size too narrow (XW, I now have XXW) and I ended up putting a light shim in the back to change the balance to account for having a wider tree so I could determine if *I* liked it, so yes, in these pics there's a very slight re-ward tip
    http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...re_girthed.jpg
    http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...ide_before.jpg

Let us know how you like it.
    Loved the demo, obviously, and will be sure to report back (I'll start a new thread) about the real one

By the way, are skid row panels part of your saddle? Since they are a relatively new invention, I'll be interested to see how well they work over time. It seems to me that expecting a pocket of wool right under a part of a saddle that will support a great deal of weight might be a problem. When I imagine one of Black County's U-shaped trees supported in part by these pockets of flocking, for example, I wonder if the whole thing will work or if the skid row parts will get crushed down very quickly. What do you (all) think?
    I'm not sure what "skid row" panels are Do you mean the trapezius panels, up front? If so, those are to fill in hollows beside the withers, either temporarily (though I'd use shim pads, not something attached to the saddle) or permanently, depending on what's going on with the horse. But if that's not what you mean, then... LOL But no, there is nothing out of the ordinary on my saddle - just the Quantum X (the X is the hoop tree), XXW, nothing unusual.