The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 111
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 1999
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    35,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iride View Post
    Unfortunately, I've heard that the saddles with integrated panels are not available with wool flocking. But I'm not certain about this.
    Well then, I guess I'll just have to ask the rep when she comes out
    ______________________________
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances. - ET



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun. 29, 2004
    Posts
    10,719

    Default

    I have the integrated panels and it makes a considerable difference in the closer feel of your leg around the horse. However, I think due to the way the integrated panels are constructed around the foam that Iride may be correct although I am not sure.



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar. 1, 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    Horrible customer service. I had the rep out 3 times to look at the saddle on my horse it was MADE for because I said the saddle bridged and was making his back sore. Rep said it fit fine, back soreness must be from something else. Switched back to old saddle, back soreness went away. Switched to CWD back soreness came back.

    I FINALLY got a saddle that fit the horse that it was originally supposed to fit exactly one year after I had ordered the original. The horse was sold shortly thereafter. I found that the original saddle I got did not fit most warmbloods. The paneling was very angular in the back causing pressure points on the outside. It also sit very pommel high causing my balance to be off. The current saddle I have has the flat panelling in the back and I'm fairly happy with it. I don't actually have a horse anymore though.



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 1999
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    35,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean83 View Post
    The paneling was very angular in the back causing pressure points on the outside.
    Which model, do you recall? Interesting you say this, because THE reason I'm working on getting a rep to my farm is because the panels on the demo saddles I looked were flat, which my horse needs.

    It also sit very pommel high causing my balance to be off.
    By this, do you mean it has a higher pommel? "Pommel high" generally means the saddle is too narrow, or placed too far forward.
    ______________________________
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances. - ET



  5. #25
    Join Date
    May. 28, 2008
    Posts
    773

    Default

    I have one - just got it in July. So far it's been great! My horse is much less back-sore with it (which was the main reason for the new saddle) and I really enjoy riding in it. Still waiting for it to really break in but that can only come with lots and lots of time (not that it's not comfortable to ride in or anything, it's just there's nothing quite like a really well-used broken-in saddle ). It puts my leg in a good position, and my trainer jokes that they come with a seatbelt - on my big-jumping mare the blocks have been great at helping me stay in perfect equitation form over fences (and occasionally stay on my horse when those not-so-great spots come up! ).

    The only complaint I have really is that the saddle was supposed to come with a cleaner (or at least I was told it was) and it didn't. The rep said it would come with later orders that were being delivered to the same farm but it never did. Not that that's a huge deal or anything, just kind of irritating. I am planning on buying a girth from them, so maybe they can send it along with that.



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr. 10, 2008
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    185

    Default

    There's some great input in this thread! I'm starting to *think* about getting a new saddle, CWD was top on the list...what s does everyone have? Has anyone tried the saddle with the carbon fiber tree? I saw it at Groton House this year. Wondering how that holds up. Interesting idea however I wouldn't want to purchase one until theses saddles have been out a little longer. Of regular CWD Saddles, which flap and seats did you go with? Interested to see what the popular choices are...



  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar. 1, 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Which model, do you recall? Interesting you say this, because THE reason I'm working on getting a rep to my farm is because the panels on the demo saddles I looked were flat, which my horse needs.


    By this, do you mean it has a higher pommel? "Pommel high" generally means the saddle is too narrow, or placed too far forward.
    The model I had before was just their normal panelling, nothing special.

    Yes, the pommel sat high on most of the warmblood type horses in my barn. Not because it was placed too far forward, it just seemed narrow in the front. The tree was a regular tree



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr. 5, 2007
    Location
    Tampa FL
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Wouah!!! How did I miss this discussion?! It came just during the days I kept telling myself "don't go on the COTH forum, you've got way too much work to do!" LOL... until I surrendered this morning to "just a quick look"

    So I'l try to answer some questions:

    - first to the person who received their saddle without the conditioner, please contact me privately so I can ship it to you. They must have overlooked it at the workshop... I'll add a CWD hat to compensate!

    - Regarding "re-flocking" of foam panels... this is how it is don: re-fitting the horse with a rep, ordering complete new panels from France and having them replaced on the saddle by our repair guy in California. You have to be without your saddle for 10 to 15 days while we replace the panels. It will cost you nothing if it is an after sale service (the saddle does not fit properly the horse that it was fitted for) or $400 if you wish to change the panels because you have changed horse or want it to fit a larger variety of horses.

    - Trainers or multiple-horse riders usually ride in what we call "pro-panels", a kind of very well designed standard panel saddle designed to fit a large variety of horses. It is true that it cannot fit ALL horses, so a special shaped horse must get its own custom fit saddle.

    - The "carbon fiber" saddle is the new 2G, we are just starting to sell it in the US now after years of designing and engineering it. It was used by Will Simpson for his Olympic ride... yes, the one where he allowed the US Team to get the Gold Medal It is a great revolutionary saddle. Contact me privately and I can mail you some information about it.

    - Yes, wool panels are also integrated panels on our jumping saddles (NOT on the dressage or cross country saddles though)

    I hope I've answered most questions, I will be glad to answer more but please contact me privately because I'm going back to "no COTH forum" for a while as I have much work to get done!

    Have a great day everybody,

    Amandine
    Office manager
    CWD-USA



  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec. 30, 2000
    Location
    The land of heat waves and unbearable humidity
    Posts
    4,043

    Thumbs up CWD

    I just had the rep out today and not only was she on time she was very professional. I sat on the SE01 demo and the SE02 demo. I like the SE01 because it gave me the freedom to get out of the tack while the SE02 is more for a seated ride. The SE02 is for those with HOT horses that need a rider to sit back and hold the horse to the jumps.

    The SE01 is AWESOME! When I sat in it it put my leg in the correct position and I could finally relax and my leg would stay there. The narrow twist was awesome and I felt really secure in the saddle. The pommel was tall but I decided to get it in the lower pommel because I am had that in my Tad Coffin. The flap I ordered was a 2C since I have a long thigh but a short lower leg. I also got the medium knee and thigh blocks. I also got the memory foam panels and intergrated panels.

    I even canted in TWO POINT and I felt really secure, something that I didn't feel in my Tad Coffin.

    I was lucky and my horse was a easy fit but there were options to get the front panels brush to fit her wide shoulder's and the back panel squared to fit her broad back.

    I also got the seat and knee pad in buffalo and the rest of the saddle in grain leather. This is so when I ride in jeans, the seat won't wear out.

    I jumped a 2'6 jump and it felt great. I cantered up to it and I felt very balanced. The jump was smooth and I didn't feel like I was being pitched forward.

    Jumping:
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...D/DSC_0042.jpg

    2'6
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...D/DSC_0044.jpg

    cantering after jump:
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...D/DSC_0043.jpg

    saddle
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...D/DSC_0018.jpg

    What sealed the deal was Ginny's professionalism. She knew what she was talking about and went though all the options with me. I felt good ordering this saddle and I got a good price on my Tad Coffin.
    "Common sense is so rare nowadays, it should be classified as a super power."-Craig Bear Laubscher



  10. #30
    messemny Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iride View Post
    Unfortunately, I've heard that the saddles with integrated panels are not available with wool flocking. But I'm not certain about this.
    This is not true, all CWD saddles have integrated panels and can be foam or wool flocked depending on what you prefer...I have had my new CWD for about two months now and i LOVE IT!!!!!!! it fits my TB beautifully but also fits tons of horses in my barn from big round warmbloods, TB crosses, and ponies of all shapes and sizes!!!! The rep that came and fitted my horse and me was awesome and my saddle came before they said it would!!! it is SOOOOO comfy and the seat I got was a flat seat but it lets you sit nice and deep! also, it puts your leg in the perfect position and its amazing over fencing, no matter what height! my horse has never been happier



  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jun. 29, 2004
    Posts
    10,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by messemny View Post
    This is not true, all CWD saddles have integrated panels and can be foam or wool flocked depending on what you prefer...
    Yes Miloute55's post cleared up this misconception I had. Glad to know they offer so many options, I love my CWD.



  12. #32
    debrice Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by authentic pony View Post
    I am interested in CWD's but can't seem to find a rep in Ontario. I have a Luc Childeric and it fits my horse well but I don't like where it puts me (it pitches me forward on him for some reason). Has anyone sat in these two saddles and compared them? Is the CWD deeper?

    Also, is there anywhere that you can find them used?
    It looks like CWD has a dedicated site for used saddles at http://used.cwdsellier.com .
    I don't know if they sell CWD saddles or other brands only.



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Aug. 15, 2007
    Posts
    300

    Default

    I have a CWD and it has changed my life . It fits any horse/pony I put it on and is the most comfortable saddle i've ever ridden it. I would highly recommend one for anyone.



  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jul. 25, 2003
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    8,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

    I'm still trying to get a feel for what folks are referring to when they had their (presumably) foam-filled saddle "re-fitted". A new set of memory foam? Is "memory foam" the same foam that is the "foam" of, say, a Crosby? Or are we talking an entirely different class of foam?

    They also have integrated panels, which I've heard about but not seen until I saw these demos. Are they really as good as the hype?
    I know someone who recently bought a CWD. The rep told her that she could have new panels made ($400) if the saddle needed to be refitted.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.



  15. #35
    Join Date
    Dec. 30, 2000
    Location
    The land of heat waves and unbearable humidity
    Posts
    4,043

    Default Saddle

    I wanted to update about CWD and the saddle I ordered.

    All I have to say is that their customer service is the best ever! My saddle got stuck in customs and Amandine took care of it quickly. The saddle rep, Ginny, called me to let me now what was going on with customs and the next day my saddle arrived safely. They are awesome!

    The saddle is gorgeous! I love the quality of the saddle cover and I love the cantle protector! I also noticed that the saddle smelled very good, like how top quality leather smells. The buffalo seat and knee pads were soft and grippy. When I cleaned and put leather grease on it, it darken and became even more grippy. Excellent!

    My mare now lifts her back and travels in a nice hunter frame. She stretches at the trot and her canter is lighter. I can feel her front end lighten up and her canter has much improved. Flat work is fun again! I can feel everything she does under me and she is balanced. Her canter is one speed! I cannot believe it, she has her hunter canter! Most of all, my mare is happy with the saddle. Her work attitude has improved greatly. I had the back panels squared to fit her board back the front shaved to fit her board shoulders. It's awesome. The intergrated panels are stuffed with memory foam.


    For me: My leg is I the correct position and I feel so secure and balanced. It's amazing what it has done for my position. Did I mention that flat work is so much fun again? I can canter in two point and stay there!!! I had the pommel lowered since it was too high and it's perfect. The narrow twist keeps me in place and my leg locked onto the horse's side. Perfect!

    I have some pictures when the saddle came in:

    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...DSC_0028-1.jpg

    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...DSC_0029-1.jpg

    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...DSC_0030-2.jpg

    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...DSC_0031-1.jpg

    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...D/DSC_0038.jpg

    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...DSC_0032-1.jpg


    After I rode, cleaned it with the CWD leather cleaner and put two coats on CWD leather grease on it. The saddle darken right up and everyday it gets softer.

    I love this saddle and the company. They are very professional and very nice.
    Last edited by Nikki^; Dec. 10, 2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling...
    "Common sense is so rare nowadays, it should be classified as a super power."-Craig Bear Laubscher



  16. #36
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2003
    Posts
    4,924

    Default

    I am guessing I know the answer to this, but what is the price range on these (for grain, not calfskin or buffalo?)



  17. #37
    Join Date
    May. 28, 2008
    Posts
    773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    I am guessing I know the answer to this, but what is the price range on these (for grain, not calfskin or buffalo?)
    I might be wrong here, but I think they run at about $3k+. Mine was grain flaps with buffalo seat and knee pads and it was just under $4k. Expensivo, but OMG so worth it! My horse and I both love the stuffing out of that saddle. When I shop for future horses I may turn them down because they don't fit my saddle . . .
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/Ashley26

    "You keep one leg on one side, the other leg on the other side, and your mind in the middle." -- Henry Taylor, "Riding Lesson"



  18. #38
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2003
    Posts
    4,924

    Default

    Well my Tad Coffin was $4200 so that's not too bad, I suppose, especially if it can be repaneled for only $400.

    Especially since I am frequently horseless and so really buy saddles to fit ME, the idea of "pro-panels" is attractive to me.



  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jun. 29, 2004
    Posts
    10,719

    Default

    My CWD is grain leather, I think I paid about $3400-$3500 but that included the matching leathers which were an extra $140 IIRC. But my saddle is 3 1/2 years old so there may have been price increases since then.



  20. #40
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 1999
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    35,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki^ View Post
    I had the pommel lowered since it was too high and it's perfect.
    I can't remember if we talked about this - does this mean you test rode some with higher pommels (for wither clearance) and went down to a normal pommel? Or was there something else done to lower the "normal" pommel even further?

    I had an issue with the normal pommel being to high for my taste. My rep told me (and it's been done before) that since Rio needed the front widened a big (he needs wider than their normal, but isn't so wide as to need their wide, which really is meant for an elephant LOL!) that doing that would effectively "lower" the pommel a bit.
    ______________________________
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances. - ET



Similar Threads

  1. Talk to me About Tucker Saddles and Other English style Endurance/Trail Saddles
    By Daydream Believer in forum Endurance and Trail Riding
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: Apr. 27, 2014, 02:26 PM
  2. Replies: 46
    Last Post: Mar. 5, 2012, 11:10 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Nov. 16, 2011, 10:58 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: Aug. 3, 2011, 07:54 PM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: Sep. 8, 2009, 01:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness