The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default CWD saddles - tell me your stories

I want to hear the good, the bad, the indifference, all of it

If it didn't work for you, was it because *you* didn't like it, or it didn't fit the horse?

What do you think of the memory foam stuffing?

How long have you had yours? I know they are a pretty young saddle, I don't know quite how young, so I'm wondering if they've been around long enough to have longevity issues.

Why did you choose the CWD over another brand of similar quality?

Old trainer of mine had one that I rode in once....for about 10 minutes. Then I switched it. It literally threw me out of the tack. Every time I would post it would be sit, sky, sit, sky, sit ,sky. I absolutely hated it.

However, my friend has one and uses it on her mare, and loves it. I sat in hers and it seemed better than the other one I sat in.

I've had mine for 2 years or so and love it. It has stood up to everything, from Vermont rain to HITS dust, and has been on horses of all sizes, from small ponies to 17.3 warmbloods.

Thumbs up Love, love, love it...

I have nothing but good things to say about my CWD. It puts my leg in a perfect position and fits most of the horses I ride. I think it all depends on your body and the horse/horses you are riding. No complaints here! I would definitely spend the money again.

ok, supershorty and kbrethauer, you said something I was wondering about when talking to the rep (but didn't get into with her, as I'll wait until she comes out):

You say that it fits a wide range of horses. She was talking to me about the flexible tree point end and how that allowed the front panels to be very flexible to fit a wide range of shoulder/withers. It looked very cool, and intrigued me to no end.

How different in width and shape were the horses you say it fit?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    ok, supershorty and kbrethauer, you said something I was wondering about when talking to the rep (but didn't get into with her, as I'll wait until she comes out):

You say that it fits a wide range of horses. She was talking to me about the flexible tree point end and how that allowed the front panels to be very flexible to fit a wide range of shoulder/withers. It looked very cool, and intrigued me to no end.

I have used it on a shark-finned TB to a round 18 hand Dutch boy... When I had it made the rep fitted it to my horse and then added that he would make sure the panels weren't too built up, so I could use it on quite a few. I haven't run into a horse it doesn't fit and I usually use a baby pad and my thinline... with the TB I also use a pommel to take up a little room, but that is it. It fits very good and I love the way my leg sits with it.

My current horse is a 4 year old and is in the process of developing muscle. I haven't run into a problem yet, but would definitely get it re-fitted if I needed to.

I LOVE my CWD. I've had it for 3 years now and it's really stood up to many tests. You mention the flexible tree point-I can give you an example of extreme different horses it fits. There are two totally different horses in my barn that my saddle fits. One is an OTTB, thin, tall, shark-withered and everything else would slide back and pinch his withers but my saddle stayed in place. The other is a Morgan cross, short, really round, FAT and no withers-everything just slides around on her, and she must have a breastplate or there will be multiple dismounting to fix saddles. My saddle-no need for dismounts or breastplate, stays in place, nothing like the owner's saddle (Butet) that supposedly fit her.

I was going back and forth between the Tad Coffin and CWD and what cemented my decision was I felt I could sit deeper in the CWD. I think I actually preferred how the TC placed my leg, but the CWD wasn't that much off, and I loved the seat of CWD more. I always tell people who ask why I preferred CWD to TC that I felt as if I was sitting on the arm of a chair with the TC, but sitting in the chair itself with the CWD.

Quote Originally Posted by Equino View Post
    I always tell people who ask why I preferred CWD to TC that I felt as if I was sitting on the arm of a chair with the TC, but sitting in the chair itself with the CWD.
    Exactly... I tried quite a few: Butet, Devacoux, L'Apogee and loved the CWD. It is so comfortable without be super cushy like the Devacoux...

Like I said, mine has been on EVERYTHING. I have used it on tiny, narrow ponies, huge fat warmbloods, shark-fin withers, my mare (who is a pretty standard fit), medium ponies who are pretty chunky, a medium who is pretty tiny...

It fits everything, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by kbrethauer View Post
    When I had it made the rep fitted it to my horse and then added that he would make sure the panels weren't too built up, so I could use it on quite a few.
    but would definitely get it re-fitted if I needed to.
    Interesting. Is yours memory foam? If so, how does that get "re-fitted"?

Interesting. Is yours memory foam? If so, how does that get "re-fitted"?
    I would assume that the saddle could be re-flocked (re-fitted). Amendine (sp?) who runs the LA office for CWD post on here quite often, could help us answer the question... I assume the saddle would be sent back to France or someone reputable. I haven't had to worry about it, as it fits anything I put it on. I believe all of their saddles are foam flocked. Not sure about the whole memory foam thing... mine is a 2006 model.

Not sure about the "fits anything" aspect - but the CWD I bought about 8 - 9 months ago does fit my gelding who is 17-3, long backed, big shouldered with narrow and high withers.
    Bought it used (excellent condition) and LOVE the position it puts me in. Really easy to keep my leg and body right where it belongs.

I had a Devoucoux that was a beautiful saddle - really nicer leather and definitely more "cushy" than the CWD - but did not fit my guy (although was a great fit for the mare I had purchased it for) and was just an ok fit for me.

I also tried several used Antares, a Luc Childric and a Butet.

My CWD is 3+ years old, I had excellent customer service, saddle came in exactly as ordered and on time (slightly ahead of schedule). I bought it because I preferred the feel over every other saddle I tried (Butet, Antares, Devoucoux, etc.) and I still love it. No saddle fits every horse but mine has been a good fit for the several horses I have used it on.

I much prefer foam panels over wool because I ride more than one horse and I like that it springs back into shape after each horse. And although its not as easy (or inexpensive) to change panels as to reflock wool it can be done. Wool also gets hard and lumpy.

Ive test ridden in one. Liked it the first few rides, then actually found it a little uncomfortable. I dont know if it forced a position, or if it was just too hard? It wasnt horible, but I didnt end up wanting to keep it. Seemed to fit the horses well, but not my body shape. Maybe its more designed for riders with really long legs? Went for a devacoux instead.

I am interested in CWD's but can't seem to find a rep in Ontario. I have a Luc Childeric and it fits my horse well but I don't like where it puts me (it pitches me forward on him for some reason). Has anyone sat in these two saddles and compared them? Is the CWD deeper?

Also, is there anywhere that you can find them used?

I don't really understand how one tree can fit a really crazy range of different back shapes and TRULY fit. Maybe fit acceptably, but not fit the same way a custom wool flocked saddle would fit. I mean yes, if you get a reasonably wide tree, that is going to fit many back shapes with the addition of various types of padding-- but I think that's true of virtually any well made wide tree saddle. I don't think that's an especially unique claim of any particular saddle design.

Heck, when I was a kid, I had a Crosby PDN. I rode every horse I came across in that saddle and everyone said it 'fit.' Did I get bucked off? No. Did the horses have big rubs on their backs? No. Did it really and truly FIT all those different backs? No, it did not. It was acceptable, better on some than others, and some padding helped-- but it didn't really fit.

I understand the appeal of having a saddle work on various horses. But as an owner of a horse with a bad back, I can tell you that as nice and cushy and multipurpose as foam might be-- for some horses there is no substitute for wool that is actually custom fitted and conformed to his back. Yes, it compresses over time but foam breaks down over time so I don't really see that as a drawback. Could I eek by getting one saddle for my three horses? Probably. Would it really FIT, as in really and truly FIT as well as a custom fitted one? No, it wouldn't.

Which is not to say that sometimes you have to made do with one saddle for multiple horses-- but that's not the same as some kind of magic saddle that magically fits every bad it's put on. That's just not possible, notwithstanding claims to the contrary.

This is more a comment about saddles in general and less about CWD-- but get what FITS your horse. I mean FITS without a lot of padding/tinkering/gimmics and you'll be way ahead of the game.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

In case you were not aware of it, CWD saddles can be ordered with wool flocking if that's what you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    In case you were not aware of it, CWD saddles can be ordered with wool flocking if that's what you prefer.
    I was not aware, thanks.

Yes, I do realize that when you take one saddle and try to fit multiple shapes, sometimes it works, often it doesn't, and of the latter, sometimes you can pad properly and sometimes you can't.

I'm still trying to get a feel for what folks are referring to when they had their (presumably) foam-filled saddle "re-fitted". A new set of memory foam? Is "memory foam" the same foam that is the "foam" of, say, a Crosby? Or are we talking an entirely different class of foam?

They also have integrated panels, which I've heard about but not seen until I saw these demos. Are they really as good as the hype?

City of delusion in the state of total denial

For what it's worth, I sat in one on my horse the other day. It had been built for a 16.3 Irish Draught cross; my horse is a 15.2 compact model. It fit him OK--tree was a little too wide and didn't really hug around his body as much as I would have liked, but it was OK and doable. Very comfortable saddle. Very well balanced. Loved the way it fit me. Would definitely consider buying one for myself.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

They also have integrated panels, which I've heard about but not seen until I saw these demos. Are they really as good as the hype?
    Unfortunately, I've heard that the saddles with integrated panels are not available with wool flocking. But I'm not certain about this.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain