The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

GREEN = first time in ring with other horses and has no idea what it is doing
    set up for leads = doesn't know left from right
    straight = feels like you're riding a 2 x 4 and doesn't bend from nose to tail
    builds = no matter what you do you'll be galloping by the end of the course
    spur = no matter what you do the old goat won't go forward
    spur + stick = dead
    stiff = crippled and 4 grams of bute this morning hasn't helped
    recently donated = smart soul decided to pawn their piece of crap on to us
    jumps flat = barely picks feet up off ground
    looky = hahahahahha (going to be fun to watch!)
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

Ah memories! The horse list was rarely accurate. We'd always get to the shows really early and watch all the horses school and take notes. Don't belive the list... watch and see for yourself!

My top 3:
    1. "Pulls, ride leg to hand." This was a horribly downhill 17 hand horse with a head bigger than I am tall (I'm 5'3 on a good day). Went to get on and almost fell off because the saddle had to have been armor alled instead of cleaned. Oh and the bridle had plain reins which were also armor alled. He pulled like a train with his head between his knees. I still don't know how I got him around the course... I'd shorten my reins and they'd immediately slide through my hands all the way to the buckle.

2. "Chestnut". That was always a fun description! You never knew what you'd get.

3. "Set up left lead". This always meant the horse had NO left lead. Fortunately our coach taught us to just circle when you thought they were going to ask for the canter and counter bend if necessary. It actually worked really well for the unbalanced, uneducated, or super green horses.

But I miss the pony draws. We had a pony at VT named Woo and we always told everyone to do the "pony 2point" and just canter around. I always stressed to riders that "pony 2 point" did not mean gallop. Woo seriously had a 14 foot stride and it was always hilarious to see girls leave out strides because they thought they had to kick to get the distances.

Wink

I have three that happened to me.....I won't say at which school to protect the innocent.

The horse you drew for your flat Eq is the only TWH of the whole string and gaits. HUH???

Your flat horse for finals hasn't been in an indoor before (which this is)....I have a pic of the poor guy about to freak out when they pinned the ribbon on him and handed me the silver plate. It was all I could do to keep him from exploding.

Ah yes and at nationals.....when getting on my draw they tell me that a. He will bite you viciously when you mount so let me hold him for you. b. that he will not stop when cantering and that is why he has a tacked noseband (which I thought was against the rules)! HA HA

That was NATIONALS!!! HA HA HAHAHAHHA

Those were the days.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

Favorite memories from IHSA:

"Blind in left eye - make sure you turn his head so he can see the jumps"

We ran out of daylight at one show so we all pulled our vehicles around the ring and turned on the headlights (I think I was riding the blind horse above so it didn't matter much).

18 hh percheron that our 5' tall novice rider pulled..then our 6' tall rider pulled the 14 hh pony and they wouldn't let the two riders switch horses.

Showing in the snow outside in November.

From Nationals/Cacchione Cup: my horse's bridle was made from twine because he had huge tumors all over his head and a normal bridle wouldn't fit. Advice I received from a host team member, "Don't pull on the reins, or he'll really throw his head". Great advice considering I had to halt in the line and trot out in the final test. Suffice it to say, the halt go over well.

Hmmm....Crankypuss in the house.....

Who's gonna start a thread about the really nice horses?

Note to self...Don't open the IHSA threads.....
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

It's what is NOT in the written description... like when you ask one of the riders from that school how the horse is and they say something like.....

"just be confident"= on the flat this horse will run away with you or over fences you will be the only one getting over the fence
    "he has a bit of a lofty jump"= gazelle or antelope, i personally prefer the antelope
    "easy"= dead horse who doesn't care what you think because beginners ride him and he is his own boss

Was just reminded of a good one today!

"Privately Owned" - Those were the ultimate toss-up. Either you'd get a nice A-Circuit horse or someone's greenie that they brought to get some exposure to a circus environment.

Quote Originally Posted by kateh View Post

One time a teammate drew a horse named Paint Mare. Description: "has left lead over fences but not on flat" Say what???

Out of curiosity, was this at an IUP show? We had a Paint Mare when I was on the team. Never rode her though.

Quote Originally Posted by jumperpony View Post
    Out of curiosity, was this at an IUP show? We had a Paint Mare when I was on the team. Never rode her though.
    Nope, Bethany College
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by caradino View Post

needless to say i did not pin, which SUCKED because it was my last chance to qualify for regionals (i needed 1 lousy point!) AND i was point rider AND i needed to win the class for my team to win the show. bad bad day. still so mad that they had us ride the entire class, lined us up to pin it, and then RE RODE THE DARN CLASS. i'm a little bitter, haha.

Oh don't you love that part? There is one ride I will never forget because half the horses at the show had been freaking out all day, and I drew an ex-show jumper/schoolmaster for my flat and he was *amazing*, totally perfect in every way. The previous 3 riders had not been able to get him to canter on the right lead the first try, but for me he just went straight into it from the walk into this big lofty canter which was super. I was told that at least 2 or 3 horses had wrong leads, and 1 girl pulled out completely because her horse was uncontrollable. There were 8 people in the class (7 after the rider pulled out), and I had a perfect ride, and DID NOT PLACE at all. That one class will probably haunt me for the rest of my life
    --Heather
    HAE Design

greeneyes86
    That one class will probably haunt me for the rest of my life
    I think everyone who has ridden in IHSA has one of those. I thought I did really well in a class one time and we are all lined up when the judge comes up to me and says "You did really well and I had you at first until I noticed you weren't wearing a belt. So I DQ'd you." I was like WTF???!!!!!! I never showed there again because they used that judge every year.

Teammate drew this solid citizen type horse on the flat. All is well until she picked up the canter. The horse sneezed and farted every. single. stride. All the way around the ring. I laughed so hard I cried

Favorite horse description was when they used my horse for the show... "Light hands, light seat, carry crop over fences but don't use it, no crop on the flat, does lead changes but has to collect to skip up behind, and did I mention don't touch his mouth?" Best part was the girl who drew him for open o/f would have easily pinned first, but she jumped the last line backwards. Oops.

Default Wow, this thread is awesome

I rode IHSA for four years, even went to Nationals, and i think ive heard every single one of these. I really enjoyed this thread guys

I never had the opportunit to ride IHSA as my college didn't have a team and I couldn't convince anyone to start one with me. However, the barn I used to train/work at lent a few of our horses to a friend's barn that was hosting a show. Our one horse that likes to roll found some sand and decided to have a roll fest so they though he was colicing and pulled him before any riders got to him. One went fine and the riders cleaned up on him. The last should have been the perfect mount. You have to ride him but he isn't difficult, however you can't just sit there and expect him to do it. I showed this horse 3' hunters the weekend before and he came out Champion. The first rider got on him and they couldn't get him over a tiny jump. No one managed to get him over a jump all day so they pulled him from the jumping and used him only for flat. I laughed so hard when i found out that he wouldn't jump. This horse loves to jump and competes both hunters and jumpers.

My friend got one of these "This is his first time jumping a full course, good luck!" We have the funniest jumping picture ever from that ride, GM would love this one!
    http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/phot...93292_1494.jpg

I never showed IHSA for my school for these reasons. I do not want to risk my life getting on a strange horse that I don't know! However I helped out at these shows a TON. I have never seen so many girls cry over these shows. Oh my goodness it was a cry fest sometimes!!

I've only ever done one IHSA show... The description for my horse said that she needed a crop (or maybe it recommended one, I don't remember). So I borrowed a crop from a teammate... mare did NOT need a crop. She leapt into the canter when they called it. She was a nice enough mare, though. I just found it amusing that she was much much more forward than advertised. And I rode her fairly late in the day, so it's not like she was fresh.

I just joined the IHSA team at my school... I can't wait until my first show now... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1985 View Post
    I never showed IHSA for my school for these reasons. I do not want to risk my life getting on a strange horse that I don't know! However I helped out at these shows a TON. I have never seen so many girls cry over these shows. Oh my goodness it was a cry fest sometimes!!
    I somehow managed to make a girl cry at the last show my school hosted. The horse she had drawn was the sweetest guy ever, but he was an ex-roping horse, and tended to be a little, um, forward. The secret was to SIT DOWN and not pull, which I told her. Simple enough? Turns out she had just pointed up the day before and was terrified anyway.

My favorite was "Normally he goes in a French link, but this morning we had to switch to a corkscrew. Oh, and he just figured out his leads this week." Turned out to be a fabulous draw, once I found the buttons, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1985 View Post
    I have never seen so many girls cry over these shows. Oh my goodness it was a cry fest sometimes!!
    I'm thinking everyone's IHSA experience is totally dependent on the characteristics of the team. I don't think anyone on my team cried last year. There were some really pissed off moments, but we can laugh about it later. For every bad draw I've gotten, I've also gotten a great draw.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue