The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rio Blanco View Post
    ... which isn't exactly fair. But oh well. :
    HAHA welcome to IHSA

How about the previous rider jumping off as she passes you saying through gritted teeth with sweat running down her face, "Have fun with that one...".

Or when the holder tells you to ride your over fences mount "like a saddlebred." Great....

I had one who's description was "Enthusiastic. Wiggly."

He'd been a jerk for the folks who warmed the horses up so I was a little worried. Got on and discovered that while yes, that was a very accurate description of the horse, he also turned out to be the exact same ride as my best friend's horse. Put him in gear, left him alone and had a great round.

Drew a mule with a Dressage saddle once. That was fun.

"this is his hunt seat debut" and "he listens to spur stops, so dont put you're leg on him" in an english class.

Ahh the memories of ISHA-I actually only had one really bad horse and drew her 2 weeks in a row-bolted & spun. I actually pulled out of one class and went to the middle of the ring and dismounted. Where she decided that she could not stand still and just did circles around me proceeded to step on my foot Then next week drew the same mare and the judge asked for the sittng trot to a canter. Rocketship was an understatement! Somehow I managed to get 5th out 20 people-go figure out that one!

The best one was Norton who decided to switch leads after PASSING fences. I had to switch him back but had such a great time doing it-had a smile on my face The judge actually came up to me and said I am going to give you 4th because you were the only one who at least tried to stay on the right lead. Guess everyone else had problems getting the leads!

Haha these are very amusing. My experience with IHSA was that yes, some of the horses were really inappropriate, but for the most part I thought they were ok and I think it's because I didn't have very high expectations of them. What bothered me more were the PEOPLE! While I met a few nice girls, I met plenty of really bitchy ones, you know the kind that give you a mean look or walk around with their noses in the air. At my first show on the second day (after a very successful first day as High point rider) I walked over to the horse I drew for the over fences and the girl holding him was someone who I'd met the day before under unfortunate circumstances. We somehow had drawn the same horse for the flat class, and she was visibly pissed when they switched her to a different horse. Incidentally, I won the class, and I guess she was holding a grudge because when I saw her the next day when she as holding the horse I was going to ride in the over fences class, I complimented her on her shirt because I thought it was pretty, and she just glared at me! No thank you, no smile, a glare. That was not my only experience like that.

The biggest unfair horse problem I experienced was at Zones. I didn't draw the greatest horse, the poor thing looked like an ASPCA case it was so skinny, and it also dumped the rider who rode it before me at the third fence on course. But I did actually have a pretty good round, all things considered. Now, I should say that before the show started, they held a riders' meeting in which they insisted that the judge would only judge the rider, and so therefore it didn't matter if you didn't have the best horse. Now I'm totally fine with getting unlucky or not getting first, and felt better when the judge told me I ride the horse I drew better than anyone that day, BUT there were two horses there that were far better than all the rest. And those 2 horses were first and second in EVERY SINGLE over fences class. Something tells me it is highly unlikely that the best 2 riders in each class just happened to draw the best 2 horses. The odds of that happening in every class is very unlikely.

So I've decided to stick with regular horse shows, but mainly because I joined the team more for social reasons than competitive ones. I thought it would be fun to be a part of a team and meet the girls from the other schools etc. I got this notion from when my old barn was at the same facility as a barn that was used by 2 big universities for their IHSA teams and I got along so well with the people on those teams and wished I was in uni so I cuold join their team! But boy was I wrong! The cattiness that I saw and experienced made me think I was still in junior high, not just from people from other teams, but also people on my own team!
    Wow this turned into a novel. Sorry!

I had that happen to me to when I rode Western for IHSA. At the time I went to college our western region was very small. Another college used our barn for a western show and used some of our lesson horses in the show. Out of the 10 horse we had-2 actually neck reined and were true western horses. Instead of drawing like you are supposed to they assisgned horses and guess who got the 2 best horses? The college riders hosting the show. I drew a 14.0 pony named Keata-god bless his soul-he did have a great jog because he was a beginner -but I am 5'10 so picture that. He didn't neck rein at all so I had to 2 hand him. Technically he had on a snaffle but was like 18 years old. I actually got into an aruguement with the judge who asked if I knew I was riding in a western show! Fortunately, in the second show-they did it again and the judge said no way-and put me on Shawnee our big buckskin-won the class!

It's amazing how snotty some of the riders can be in the Upper Levels of IHSA but they get humbled very quickly when they can't handle a horse that is not push button! We had a girl who rode one of our team member's junior jumper and complained (that's putting nicely) and got a reride on one of our less than spectacular lesson horses. Belle was a sweetheart and always took care of his rider but he was not very fancy. Well, the judge walked over to the girl who was thier open rider and pointed and told her that she had placed her first on the first horse and now she wasn't placing at all! That was icing on the cake.

I had a great time in IHSA and would recommend it to anyone whether you have a horse or not!

1.Kick with both legs and he should pick up the correct lead.
    2. I hope he doesn't buck someone off this time
    3. Turn him really hard to the inside to ask for leads.

And so much more.

i just joined the cw post team if anyone know about the horses they show i would love nay info you have!!! just pm me!
    thanks!!

These are funny. I don't really remember many, but I always hated when all it said in the horse description was something like "ENJOY!" and then you get on and the horse is a real piece of work.. Happened to me quite a few times.

I've had something along the lines of 'difficult to stay with over the fences' (the horse jumped like a deer, and needless to say, I drew him for the O/F at every single show at that particular school - and even when that school brought horses to my school's show, I drew him!)

I've had one where they made an exception to the spur rule (if that's even still around?) but only b/c it was the Open division. That horse was so sucked back I don't know how anyone else got him around, but they used him in the lower divisions also.

And my favorite - a horse I drew for an Open flat (I believe the only class he showed in that day) and I did not walk one step the entire hack class. I couldn't get the horse to stop! He went around the whole time just lugging on me, I trotted right into the center at the end! I got 4th out of 8, probably b/c the judge felt sorry for me and didn't know how to place it. The horse went in a rubber bit and his description warned against touching his mouth. Great!

I donated my horse to an IHSA team...I wonder what they tell riders about him!

I'm sure some of his riders heard "I can't wait to see how he goes!" (when i donated him they told me they were using him in a show that weekend)

I have WAY too many, but here are my favorites...

"16.3 hand 4 yr old Warmblood. Been under saddle for five months. First show EVER. No Whip. No Spurs." - I drew this horse for open flat. Laziest horse EVER! Then to top the cake, the judge asks for a halt, and then canter. Managed to pull fourth out of ten in that class, still in awe.

"ask his owner"...who was no where to be found...LOL. The girl who rode him over fences before me comes out, looks at me and says "don't ever take your spur out of his side for even one second. seriously" She had broke to the trot in front of the first jump. I actually ended up with a pretty good round. To make it funnier, we both drew the same horse in the same order the next day...and he was even more tired...LOL

Oh, IHSA, how I miss thee...
    "Wear a helmet...because your skull isn't as thick as your parents think it is"

A perfect thread to back up my decision to refrain from showing IHSA after one show. We were watching the horses warm up that morning and there was one horse rearing, bucking, taking off and I go "I'm probably going to get that one with my luck."

Well, I got a great great mare to flat (who was for sale and I did the whole Daddddddyyyy she's for sale bit over the phone, didn't win that one) but then for the over fences I pulled the horse I saw that morning. Freaking high strung burnt out thoroughbred with "sticky lead changes" aka DOESNT DO THEM.

That was the end of my college horse show career. I felt like it was too much of a waste of money.
    aka Amanda
    "For by the love that guides my pen, I know great horses live again."

Last show before regionals (luckily last was enough to qualify):
    Asked before I went in the ring if I would want spurs, got "no, he doesn't need them, he's a pro." Barely managed to trot, kicked like a pony clubber, barely managed to canter in time to start jumping. Came out of the ring and got, "Yeah, he does get a little quiet sometimes . . ." Ya think?

At nationals last year:
    "She's great, just try to hide at the sitting trot." !!?? For anyone who was there, you know there was enough sitting trot that there was no hiding unless you managed not to get in the ring in the first place. Ahh, good times.

I had a friend pull one where the description was "moves like a washing machine." lol
    Brittany B.
    Currently: Trying to make both Pharm school and H/J work together

we had one that we had to pull out of the flat at regionals last year. It's a draft horse, canters so loud it was scaring the other horses and they were taking off!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Chalk PharmHawk View Post
    I had a friend pull one where the description was "moves like a washing machine." lol
    That description has been used to describe my horse in the past actually... Not so much anymore, he's much better! But he was used in the UofR riding program for a while.

We had one girl on our team draw a little appy that she was told "sometimes bucks at the canter".

Apparently this really meant he bucked EVERY stide he cantered. She just planted her butt on him and smiled - and she won the class.

I was lucky in that I never really had a bad draw - not sure how that happened, but I always got to ride some really decent horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalele View Post
    A perfect thread to back up my decision to refrain from showing IHSA after one show. We were watching the horses warm up that morning and there was one horse rearing, bucking, taking off and I go "I'm probably going to get that one with my luck."

Well, I got a great great mare to flat (who was for sale and I did the whole Daddddddyyyy she's for sale bit over the phone, didn't win that one) but then for the over fences I pulled the horse I saw that morning. Freaking high strung burnt out thoroughbred with "sticky lead changes" aka DOESNT DO THEM.

That was the end of my college horse show career. I felt like it was too much of a waste of money.
    I felt the same way. My favorite was a cute looking bay horse whose owner said "sometimes he runs out at the jumps." That sucker was sideways three strides in front of every jump trying to get out of jumping. It was AWFUL. Then there was the large pony (at 5'8 I was just under the cut off) who you had to tap with the crop every. single. stride to keep her moving. Ick. All in all, not my cup of tea.
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."

as my tiny 5'4" self is about to get on a massive 17hh + draft thing (a re-ride after an AWESOME flat class on a really stellar med pony that i probably would have won)...

"well, she doesn't really steer very well"

i.e. does not steer at ALL, pulls, charges into the canter on the wrong lead, and also does not stop.

needless to say i did not pin, which SUCKED because it was my last chance to qualify for regionals (i needed 1 lousy point!) AND i was point rider AND i needed to win the class for my team to win the show. bad bad day. still so mad that they had us ride the entire class, lined us up to pin it, and then RE RODE THE DARN CLASS. i'm a little bitter, haha.

I rode ISHA a million years ago and boy is this topic bringing back memories!

But I have to ask...3 years ago, I donated my horse to Hazelwild Farm and he is used for the University of Mary Washington's ISHA program. For any of you current ISHA members who may of competed at UMW....do you remember a little (15.2/15.3) chestnut TB, blaze & 2 left socks, by the name of Red, or In the Red? And be honest...is he one of the horses everyone dreads getting, or is he considered to be one of the good ones?