The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Oh, IHSA

I actually very much enjoyed my time riding IHSA. It appears I might be in the minority

But seriously, I always found it quite a lot of fun. there was always a broad spectrum in terms of the type of horse you'd get, but I don't recall any that were actually dangerous. The only beef I had with it was:

I did not care for the primadonnas who were very pretty, but not very effective, riders, who would whine their way into a re-ride. This never ceased to infuriate me. I will never forget, a student from another team said to her coach as she rode by in a flat class "I need a re-ride" and her coach said, "no you don't, you need to sit up and RIDE." I would have liked to have shaken her hand

Big Tag - I actually credit the IHSA for teaching me how to ride whatever I've got. My entire junior career was spent riding one horse for a few years before moving up to the next, and I always was afraid of riding different horses.

IHSA cured that. Very quickly. And I learned that you can't "fix" the horse - you ride the way the horse wants to go (if you expect to do well).

And it also gave me the chance to teach - I taught the barns' pony clubbers in exchange for riding on the team because I couldn't afford the dues, and I found out I LOVE to teach.

I can't say I enjoyed the process, but I do really appreciate what I learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    We were always told not to say anything because then the coaches would come back and make noise because they'd take our word as gospel.

For example: We would have a beginnery kid holding a more advanced horse, that they may have heard gossip about but never ridden- would you want their advice? I wouldn't.

Most of the coaches in my region knew the horses at all the schools.
    Amen......
    again and again and again.

I loaned my horse for a flat division last year.
    Here' comes first rider and trainer, leaking and spitting superior attitude all over everyone.

I hold my horse.
    I know my horse.

She approaches and he hides behind me.......Hmmmmm.

What can you tell me about this horse....

Umm, Don't pick a fight with him, you will not win it.

Guess what happened to Miss "I know better than you"??

She got exactly what she asked for, and lost the fight.

And was denied her re-ride request.

My BO/Pro is Coach...She's insanely careful but honest about her mounts.

If you've watched the morning warm-ups, watched the horse you've drawn throughout his/her rides, listened to your coach, you're as ready as you're gonna get.
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

totally meant this thread to be funny and not a rant about IHSA horses...

I LOVE IHSA.... I don't think I've drawn a horse that shouldn't be considered a saint, even if I didn't get along with it!
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

Quote Originally Posted by LearnToFly View Post
    totally meant this thread to be funny and not a rant about IHSA horses...

I LOVE IHSA.... I don't think I've drawn a horse that shouldn't be considered a saint, even if I didn't get along with it!
    LearnToFly, I knew you weren't trying to rant. I think most of us are on here reminiscing about our IHSA days more than ranting. I love hearing all the stories and I can just imagine some high school girls having nightmares about mules and horses with no left lead after reading this thread.

I was schooling at one of our regions IHSA shows and the trainer came up to me and said 'oh by the way she hasn't jumped in like 2 months and she's still green' as I was about to school the open course!!! Then I had a draw where I was allowed to carry a crop but not hit the horse with it and we just about came to a stop at every fence then jumped it, thankfully I ended up placing 3rd out of like 9 open riders so just think about the other open horses!! Though I think the funniest draw I ever had was when I drew my horse in Open and was the first rider of the day. So naturally I wanted to 'show off' my horse and how I can ride and I missed my first flying change (he's usually auto but made me ask) and then he stopped at fence 2!!! I was very embarrassed but he was amazing for everyone else and no body placed lower than 3rd or 4th on him!

The other thing I like is when people ask me how to ride MY horses in the classes, since I let the one school in our region to use my horses, and then they ride them the complete opposite!!

Quote Originally Posted by FarnleyGarnet View Post
    LearnToFly, I knew you weren't trying to rant. I think most of us are on here reminiscing about our IHSA days more than ranting. I love hearing all the stories and I can just imagine some high school girls having nightmares about mules and horses with no left lead after reading this thread.
    hahaha, its good to strike a LITTLE fear in the hearts of incoming freshmen
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tag View Post
    I actually very much enjoyed my time riding IHSA. It appears I might be in the minority

Me too, me too!

I LOVED IHSA! I'm going to do some alumni this year and so pumped to be back in the ring. For me, a horsecrazy (haha) kid who grew up riding, but never having parents who would plunk down a half-mil to get me a super fancy horse, this was one chance I had to be on a level playing field! In fact, one of my proudest moments was beating a pretty well known rider in an Open flat class . The fact that I had brought along some of my own greenies in the past really helped me have an appreciation for all the horses I rode in IHSA and really made me a better rider in the long run. I can honestly say that I can get on most horses and get along well with them.

We had people on my team who were very "good" (read: pretty) riders - and they'd win IF they were riding a good horse. But on a less-than-perfect draw, they were nightmares, totally fell apart. They were the same people who didn't like IHSA that much.

The best advice I gave anyone is to concentrate on getting along with the horse while you're in the ring. You're not going to "train" or "change" the horse in the two minutes that you're on its back - so just go with it. And while you may not have a great draw at this show, next show you may get lucky.

While I finished competing at IHSA 15 years ago and am sure things have changed, I always loved pulling the smallest horse in the draw! It never failed that at a certain school in VA, I'd draw a 14.3hh "horse" while my friend would get a 17hh monster--I'm 5'10" and she's 5'2". She'd perch up on the giant beasts looking delicate and pretty, while my feet would hit rails under the stomach of the mini I'd drawn! LOL!! Good luck to all the IHSAers out there!

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

I haven't shown IHSA yet, but my personal favorite from schooling at home:

(before I did the open course on a reiner) my coach: "I don't care how bad you're missing to the fence, DO NOT SAY WOAH." So what do I do? See that I'm missing... and say woah... and semi-sorta-unbalanced slide stop. Oh yes, that was fun!!

"It was loaned for the day." And is wearing neon tack. Day job = barrel horse.
    Cowboy up.

Well this didn't happen to me... but it's a really funny story of things you don't want to hear before you go in your class.

The school I rode with was hosting a show and we had a giant white percheron mare. A girl was getting on her for a flat class and the man that was holding the mare and helping her get on didn't know anything about her. He told the poor girl to "hum the tune to Rocky to make the horse go"

The look on the poor girl's face was priceless.... and I think that is all she got before going in the ring!

1 members found this post helpful.

Well I have two favorite descriptions from the season last year...the one was to a super little pony who just hated to have her girth tightened it said, "NO ONE IS TO TOUCH HER GIRTH BUT (name of owner) UNLESS YOU WANT TO DIE!!" another one was for a horse I drew toward the end of the fall season. "Quiet ride" haha yeah right! We had to re-ride the class after the horse would not stop cantering (despite pulley rein and running its nose into the rail) and put in several bucks for good measure. Yeah I had fun that day lol
    Lesmiz_07

Quote Originally Posted by ef80 View Post
    I had one who's description was "Enthusiastic. Wiggly."
    I rode a horse once where the description was, "go with the wiggle"- same horse???

This is not the horse's fault, but I didn't like when schools didn't have any sort of height requirement for horses under 15hh for example....I drew (and rode) a 14.3h Arabian in regionals for a flat class...and I'm 5'10. So to the poster above...no, that hasn't really changed.

Needless to say, I really like IHSA and I'm planning on riding Alumni again this year!