The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default American Horse transport? Any recs and/or reccent prices on cross country shipping

Hello,
    Has anyone here used American Horse Transport?
    I wondered if anyone had shipped a horse across the country recently and had any ballpark figures or recomendations for good shippers. Much appreciated! This would be from Oregon to Florida. Thanks again!
    Last edited by hluing; Oct. 3, 2008 at 01:23 PM.
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

Heather, we just had a pony go from PA to Sacramento, CA. with the McLemores and was very impressed with their care, their truck and the updates they sent from the road.... they were lovely people, husband and wife team.

www.McLemoreshorsetransport.com
    Email Kay @ alwaystx@msn.com for a ball park quote.
    www.trevelyanfarm.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tre...1609022?ref=ts
    Breeders of Sport Horses & New Forest Sport Ponies

A horse just left here (north Texas) to go to California (San Luis Obispo) on Equine Express in a box stall. Owner paid over $1500. Last time I sent one like that it was closer to $1200.
    www.octoberhill.com

Home of approved stallions Coconut Grove, Mezcalero, Justice, Ocordo, Amaretto D II, Churchill OHS, Concho OHS, and Cascani.

Thanks Leslie...you are the second person to recommend them and I already emailed Kay Its great to get two recs for the same company!
    www.germanridingpony.com

I also recommend them. They are fantastic. They picked up a horse from here bound for California. I think he got a very special rate due to being a rescue so I almost hate to say it was "only" $1500. I am pretty sure it usually costs more than that from VA to CA. The fact that they will help out in a pinch like they did for this person spoke volumes. They also patiently waited while the vet arrived to write out a vet certificate (long story...but notice was very short). Anyway, two thumbs up for McLemores!

With Nation-Wide I paid $1300 in January from Ohio to Rancho Murieta, CA to get my Welsh stallion out here. Wasn't 100% pleased with their service, but my horse arrived in fine shape.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Default Equine Express All The Way!

As buyer of the 3 year old Holsteiner October Hills refers to, I can confidently recommend Equine Express! They went above and beyond to make the trip an easy one. Professional and friendly from the first call I made for a quote to the calls I received from the drivers touching base with me along the way. Great communication and a beautiful new, clean, air ride rig with two drivers.
    My horse got off the trailer looking comfortable and rested, NOT stressed out!

I had originally planned to book with ___________(PT me for their name)
    SO GLAD IT DIDN"T HAPPEN!...Changed my mind about them after they were very slow to return any of my 15+ calls , kept putting me off for a ship date and the quote was about $300 more.
    Funny thing is last conversation I had with them they were going to call me this week to let me know when their next trip West was going to be. Can't wait for that call so I can say "Thanks, but he's already here!"

Just sent one out on Tuesday via Bob Hubbard to Vashon Island, Washington (from my farm in Eastern Iowa) - buyer paid just over $1600 for a box stall.

Have another one leaving today headed for New Brunswick, Canada with Jim Swetnam, buyer was quoted $1300 (not sure if USD or Canadian dollars).
    Last edited by Waterwitch; Sep. 19, 2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: added name of shipper
    Liz
    Ainninn House Stud
    Irish Draughts and Connemaras
    Co. Westmeath, Ireland

I used Pure Pleasure Horse Transport to bring a mare to my home in WI from Southern CA (San Diego area) last fall, and I was very happy with the service. They called me with daily updates, blanketed and gave meds as needed, layed over to rest and arrived in a timely manner, with a reasonable fee. She had a box stall also. I have used them previously and was pleased with that trip as well.

Thanks everyone...that is two recs for equine Express too I am just waiting for quotes now!
    www.germanridingpony.com

Do you guys think an adult mare would be much better in a full box stall for a trip of this length?
    www.germanridingpony.com

Last fall I had a weanling shipped from northern CA to TN by Cox. She had a stall and a half, and I think the trip cost around $1200. They were easy to deal with, and everything happened as scheduled. I was happy with the experience, and my filly arrived looking like she'd just finished a 10 minute trip instead of a multi-day one.

I can also rec Equine Express. Just sent one from New Mexico to Dallas area, about 700 miles. Bob Hubbard would not make that particular run; they only come to NM from CA, pfft. It was $550 for 1.5 stall but that was roomy!

Nice van, 2 drivers, very professional, showed up precisely on time once they gave a time. It took a couple calls to get the date pinned down but overall very good.

Horse arrived in excellent shape after an all-nighter.

On edit: I believe I noticed on this board somewhere that EE had helped some of the Houston area rescues get horses evacuated before Ike. I thought that was cool, and may have been one of the reasons I had a little trouble getting my date pinned down as it was in that time frame.

I shipped a weaniling from CA to PA with Equine Express last April and they were wonderful. I would highly recommend them,

Heather -- my opinion may not be popular, but we've shipped and received a LOT of ponies over the years. In my personal opinion, it is an easier ride for them in a slant spot, where they can lean up against the walls/back/sides/etc as they travel, especially if the road is curvy, etc. I notice when we haul ponies loose in the trailer they tend to like to kind of "wedge" themselves against the wall. I just think it is easier for them to ride with support for them to lean on, vs "floating around" like a BB in a box car (as my DH says, lol).
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I will chime in for Equine Express. I used them to haul two horses from Sisters, OR to Tulsa, OK. I paid $1300 per horse for a stall and a half. They ended up not being full and put them in box stalls. They arrived in fine shape and the company was very good to deal with.

Default American Horse Transport?

Thanks everyone for your help. I have contacted a few companies trying to find the quickest ride home for her. Does anyone have any expereince with American Horse Transport? I would love to hear about it!
    TIA
    www.germanridingpony.com

For the last horse I had shipped, I used Equine Express to ship from Northern CA to North Texas in April for a gelding in a box stall. It was $1200.

Whenever possible, I use them.

Donna Ray
    Carson Farm
    www.carson-farm.com