The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default One more The Economy and Horses thread ... affecting big time shows

What do you think? Think it will influence people in their decisions to go to indoors, buy a second horse, do a winter circuit or which one to do? Talking about the A show guys here ... what do you think is gonna happen? So far I haven't seen the numbers going down but it hasn't hit bottom yet ...

I think it won't go down too much, if at all. I think people are more concerned about either getting experience at the top shows or doing well and earning points. It doesn't influence my decision as I'm planning on going down to WEF this winter from up in NJ.

interesting ... a lot of my friends seem to be making some chanegs suddenly. like sending one pre-green horse to capital challenge this year instead of two, or doing 3 weeks of ocala instead of 5. Etc.

I think the average AA circuit ammy's might be making a few cut backs but not too many. I'm still doing WEF and all the shows I usually do but I do think I'm going to skip several weeks in FLA this year for both school reasons as well as money reasons. The super rich riders aren't going to change a thing though so in the end if show attendance does drop slightly it's never going to plummit....and on the bright side if you manage your money well there are many opportunites to get some top horses at fairly low prices.

Unhappy

I think a lot of people will be affected by what happened on Wall Street this past Monday.

Horse showing is such an extravagant luxury and I think many people will have to pick and choose where and when they show.

Granted, it won't stop most from showing but I'm only going to the fun ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    I think a lot of people will be affected by what happened on Wall Street this past Monday.

Horse showing is such an extravagant luxury and I think many people will have to pick and choose where and when they show.

Granted, it won't stop most from showing but I'm only going to the fun ones!
    I disagree. I think those people who are living within their means will be fine and continue to be able to show. Its those horse people who live way beyond their means who will be affected by this.
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

Things are going sour and fast. Friends bought a house for around $240k four years ago, got a job transfer and sold the house for $480kish about two years later. The same house is on the market again today for $195k. People are hemmorhaging money left and right. We've all got a different definition of "average" person on the show-circuit, but it's fair to say that we're all about to be affected if we haven't been already.

I think we'll still see decent attendence at the super-big shows as well as the super-fun shows, but certainly not huge attendance. The B and C shows are starting to see more folks so I won't be suprised if area circuits see a bit of a boom. Some people would rather have several trips to the B's and C's than one or two nice A's or AA's.

Another interesting possibility is that we might even see some people who wouldn't normally go to WEF or Thermal for multiple weeks do that this year to try and collect as many points as they can in a few weeks so that they have the rest of the season to rebuild their show-fund and cherry-pick the shows to make up the rest of the points they need.

It's worth noting that the summer classics at Pebble Beach were skipped by a great number of west coast barns that opted to go up to Bend instead. A lot of those barns I'd call "regulars" at Pebble Beach. I was honestly shocked to see who was missing. I'm sure there were different reasons in each barn - but I think that's a great example of how things are changing. I wouldn't be suprised if a lot of the reason was overall cost - the difference in cost of fuel for hauling to Bend vs Pebble is likely more than made up for by the significantly lower hotel prices in Bend.

Our barn's still going to WEF and all the finals, But Im starting to notice my friend's parents make them be more selective about when they show, Im now just showing two of my horses at a time, instead of doing all three every show to cut costs. My dad buys and sells companies, so this is a tougher time then normal, but nothing significantly changing, I'm supposedly catchriding some horses at WEF instead of bringing my new junior down also to cut costs.

Having priced airline tickets to Florida this winter, it is most definitely affecting my checkbook. My guess attendance will be down this year unless airlines start to offer deals.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Having priced airline tickets to Florida this winter, it is most definitely affecting my checkbook. My guess attendance will be down this year unless airlines start to offer deals.
    I highly doubt that will happen. People still need to fly and will pay the price. If they did lower ticket price they just make it up again in sneaky charges like baggage checking fees (which I'm still annoyed by, I would much rather they just build it into the price of the ticket instead of having to pay a silly $15 fee at the counter )...sry that's a pet peeve of mine. I'm lucky, though, my dad flies so much on business (every week of the year save Tday and Xmas to China, Germany, Poland, France, Mexico and India) that we basically fly free b/c of miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
    horse people who live way beyond their means who will be affected by this.
    I didn't know there was any other kind of horse people

Quote Originally Posted by hedmbl View Post
    I highly doubt that will happen. People still need to fly and will pay the price. If they did lower ticket price they just make it up again in sneaky charges like baggage checking fees (which I'm still annoyed by, I would much rather they just build it into the price of the ticket instead of having to pay a silly $15 fee at the counter )...sry that's a pet peeve of mine. I'm lucky, though, my dad flies so much on business (every week of the year save Tday and Xmas to China, Germany, Poland, France, Mexico and India) that we basically fly free b/c of miles.
    A flight I took last year around Halloween to visit family cost me $375. Today, I can't find a flight between the same two airports for less than $710, most of them are running around $830.

I am a pretty conservative person (read, I don't live outside my means) and I know I have cut back. I won't go to FL this year, cut my showing back this summer and am very particular about where I go to show. Sure, there will be some that won't even know that the economy is falling down, but like a lot of things, how can you not notice and have it not affect what you do?

Sure, I could go out and buy new fall clothes like I typically do but I am just not doing it this year. I have cut back on just about everything I do.

Those that have the means to support this luxury will not be affected by the economy. The middle class will be affected. Clients are picking and choosing which shows to attend and which to not. Instead of six weeks of Florida, my clients can only afford three weeks. Those clients with multiple horses are picking and choosing which horses to take to certain shows.

So with the upper class be affected? Absolutely not. The middle class? Absolutely.

I'm talking about those whose portfolios/pension funds are being devastated right now. Those who can "wait it out" will be fine.

Those of us looking at college tuitions and retirement may need to be more selective.

To be concerned about the economy does not necessarily equate to living beyond one's means. I'm thinking it is the contrary.

wow my family is so lucky, *oozing sarcasm* a week or two, my dad invested in lehman brothers before leaving for austrailia for a business trip. whaddaya know, lehman brothers plummets. i'm confused--one of my teachers today told me barclays had bought out lehmans.

but i'm looking at an article in the NY times saying barclays decided not to buy lehmans. BUT this article is from the 14th, so hopefully barclays DID buy lehmans out, otherwise we just lost a looooooooot of money :/

the economy sucks.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Free View Post
    I didn't know there was any other kind of horse people

Amen to that!
    We are not feeling the crunch to much in this area, yet.
    I would imagine that some riders will opt for cheaper one day shows rather then going to A rated.
    My guess would be that more of the riders who go for the experience without a real chance at placing well will be thinking about a downgrade. Or perhaps letting the grean beans gather experience at smaller shows rather then letting them tag along to the bigger ones.

Sussex county fair was weak this year, as was reportedly Vermont and Saugerties around the same time, so shows might be feeling the economy already.

Wonder if this will bring entry fees down some or if shows will just start charging the people who do enter more to make up the difference...
    Timothy, stop lurking

I can say that two years ago I was taking all of my horses to horseshows. The green ones were there just to hang out and gain experience in new places. With stalls sitting at $200 for 6 days I no longer bring "extras." And I've been picking and choosing which shows I do because I just can't stomach paying $1500-$2000 for entry fees alone for two horses. If prices were a little more reasonable I'd have 3-4 horses at each show, but at this point I just can't justify it.

So the economy is definitely affecting me. Of course I'm in no way part of the upper class (forgot to marry a millionaire...oop! ). I agree that the higher end of the sport won't be affected, but as prices get higher and higher *I* definitely feel it!

Speaking of show fees. We did a small one day show 2 years ago for charity.

Granted, I don't know how much was spent on hosting it, we all obviously worked it for free and I'm guessing we got a good deal from our judges etc since the proceeds went straight up to some leukemia fund or a Valerie center somewhere.
    We made a lot of money from sponsors etc but the plus form entry fees from the horse show came to about 12K and that at standard rates.

We used to host big shows at our old barn and could pretty much bang a one day show out in our sleep, so there wasn't too much of a hassle there.

Now if we could make 12K on a one time one day event, how much does a big show or series of shows net?
    Timothy, stop lurking

I am on the fence about FL this year. Due to the sorry state of the market, I definitely have far less $ to spend on a luxury like horse showing. I could swing FL (WEF) for three weeks, but I am weighing that against the spring and summer shows: three weeks at WEF will probably cost the same as doing several additional weeks elsewhere (Saratoga, Lake Placid, VT). Plus at WEF I would have to pay a $225 nominating fee, $75 office fee (if that doesn't go up from last year), $75/class, and at least $315 for my classics. Yikes. Or I could opt to drop down a division and spend less money (no nominating fee), but also have a less exciting experience. And though my horse is competitive, I would not expect to win my entries back in the bigger division (with bigger entry nos.) at WEF.

None of this, by the way, is to say that I feel sorry for myself in any respect. I know how fortunate I am to be able to ride at all. It just means that to answer the OP's question, yes, because of the economy I am weighing my options carefully and really thinking about how I spend money on horse showing. At the end of the day it is a luxury, and it's hard to justify spending on it right now.