The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Default The "I live near you, let's go ride!" thread - Map in post #1

I've been thinking (yep, it was me you smelled burning!) that this sort of thing might really work to help find riding buddies. Similar to the horseless riders thread. If you like going to greenways/trails/schooling somewhere, but you either don't want to ride alone, or you don't have transportation, you can find somebody in your area, pitch in some gas money, etc. Also a fun way to meet COTHers in your area! What do you guys think?

Updated to add Andy's awesome map
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...5233021ceb7b28
    Last edited by talkofthetown; Nov. 1, 2008 at 08:26 AM. Reason: added map
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

1 members found this post helpful.

I think that's a great idea.

I'm all for it, especially since I'm currently w/out a rig. So many great places around me to trail ride, and I've hardly started!

ETA: Gainesville (actually Micanopy) FL, happy to trail ride or do cross country schooling or gallop sets.

Default Tallahassee, FL

TBKate, same here. I would love to take my OTTB out somewhere and really work on galloping/conditioning, as there's not really anywhere to ride where I board, I just don't have a rig. And I have friends who can give me rides, but not always. Should we put our locations in the subject line, so it's easier to spot?

I'll start I guess. I'm a teenaged girl with a OTTB gelding, I would need to be picked up, but I can help with driving and gas money. Trail riding is fun, but I'd also like to go somewhere where we can do canter sets/gallops/field work. Cross country schooling is a plus, too!

Default Hay

Me too! Except my two horse trailer is now a one horse as I've made the extra space into a tack room so I can't trailer anyone but we can meet at the Stewart Buffer Zone in Newburgh NY. I can show you the trails. Be fore warned, I'm slower than molasses trail rider...

I also school at Orange COunty Park in Montgomery occasionally...
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Default Louisville, KY

I agree. I don't have a truck and trailer but would love to get out and about w/ a fellow rider.

This is a great idea. It would work the best if there was an interactive map we could all use. We could add our location, username, and interests. It would make it easier to zero in on people in your area. Does google maps have this kind of functionality?
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
    Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !

Default Well, it does.

I checked out google maps, and I think it will work. Here's a link to the map I started:
    COTH riding buddies finder

If it looks OK, just post the following information and I'll add you:
    your location
    COTH username
    other info- type of riding you are interested in, whether or not you have a trailer, if you have an extra horse etc.
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm just outside Jax FL, near 301 and I 10.
    Have extra trailer space, also have an extra horse, but it's not a beginner horse
    I like to trail ride, xc school, whatever
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Andy, that's AWESOME!! Thanks so much!

No trailor yet; but an extra horse, quiet and trail safe. Lots of AWSOME trails out here in the Parks!!

LSM1212, I have (actually DH has) the Towing Beast, and the Beastly stock trailer, just no beast to put in it. So I guess what I am saying is I am horseless in North Central KY, Scott County, have all my own English tack, adequate intermediate re-rider, will ride Western and gaited, could possibly transport (but I am not kidding about beastly stock trailer, it is Fugly and old but all the running gear and floor were recently redone). Do work early 3rd shift and have odd days off.
    Last edited by ReSomething; Sep. 15, 2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: my town is so small I can't even find it
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Added you guys.
    resomething, can you give me a town near your location so I can add you?

North of Georgetown.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I'm in Dallas, GA (Paulding County)

While I have no trailer yet, I do have a F-250 turbo diesel that can tow if you've got the trailer!

OR just come to the farm where I board since it parallels the famous Silver Comet Trail. Would love to have a trail riding buddy. There is plenty of flat and hills for conditioning.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Default Eldersburg, MD

2H trailer, idiot App gelding(spooky), need slow buddies. In north central MD.

Will start riding again Dec 1st or so, after shoulder surgery, need people not annoyed by wimp-@$$ rider for a few weeks who hates cold!
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Hoosiers too?

2DogsFarm here

I am in NW Indiana - just outside Crown Point

2H BP trailer

Xtra horse possible - crabby old TB but can be a fun trailride or clinic horse (he was schooling 3rd Level...10 years ago...)

I am very close to Stoney Run State Park, not too far from Potato Creek and open to suggestions
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

This is fun! I added everyone. No one is near me, yet.
    Take a look and let me know if your pin is in the wrong place, I can move it if you like.

What a great idea!!! Thanks for taking the time to update it for everyone. Please ad me. I'm in Paso Robles and have a 2 horse (but with my giant, I can only haul something else that isn't giant. I love to trail ride, but don't do it too often and pretty much only walk on trails.
    Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Quote Originally Posted by pines4equines View Post
    Me too! Except my two horse trailer is now a one horse as I've made the extra space into a tack room so I can't trailer anyone but we can meet at the Stewart Buffer Zone in Newburgh NY. I can show you the trails. Be fore warned, I'm slower than molasses trail rider...

I also school at Orange COunty Park in Montgomery occasionally...
    I'm in Fishkill! Interested in hunter pacing with me?